S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 09:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheel Nuts

Hi, wanted to ask if someone have changed the wheel nuts of the Jag (the FORD one)?

Recently i had problem taking out two tyres of my Ford Escape, two of the wheel nuts were dameged, had to break the cover on it to get to the real wheel nut. I asume this will happen to my jag in any time and want to change them all (Escape and S type) before i have to change again another tyre in the middle of nowhere and take for ever to change one tyre just because of one wheel nut (this happened to me twice ).

So, any of you know of one that is a better option for substitution, maybe that looks similar?

Last edited by e_brugal; 09-03-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,474 Posts
Old 09-16-2024, 03:24 PM

Thanks, i think i will go with the mitsubishi. but it looked so similar that i'm afraid it will be the same. i see that it comes with the same two parts (log nut and cover) hope they are better that the Ford ones.

Try to search at rockauto but couldn't identify the part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19297041320....c101465.m3507

Last edited by e_brugal; 09-16-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

I replaced my lug nuts with Dorman. Lugnuts seem to work just fine. No covers to deal with

Old 09-17-2024, 03:51 PM

Ok i will search for them.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-18-2024, 01:15 AM
Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
The lugs I recommended in this past thread are still on the car. Check it out.

Old 09-18-2024, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 309 Posts

It is well know that the original lug nuts (the ones with the extra outer shell) are complete and utter crap.
Hence, before you are stranded somewhere at night in the middle of nowhere with those failed-design-OE-lug-nuts, get them off my all means necessary at home after you bought proper solid replacement lug nuts. They need to be 12mm and have a 1.5mm pitch thread, i.e. 12x1.5 and they need to be flat not conical. Look for lug nuts, which are especially offered for X-Type and S-Type (same lug nuts) to make sure that they will fit.

Old 09-18-2024, 02:57 PM
Received 192 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
It is well know that the original lug nuts (the ones with the extra outer shell) are complete and utter crap.
I am amazed that Jaguar ever let those lugs get on a car. I don't think I would hire the engineer that thought that dud of a lug up.

Hope you are doing well Peter.

Old 09-18-2024, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 309 Posts

>> I am amazed that Jaguar ever let those lugs get on a car. I don't think I would hire the engineer that thought that dud of a lug up.
>> Hope you are doing well Peter.

Thanks David. I am OK. Way better than 2 days ago, when I got fired after doing a perfect job as Mechatronics Engineer and earning a lot of praise for what I did and accomplished in the 7 months I worked there. I told my wife last weekend: If they are forcing me to sign off on a document, which declares the earth to be flat, I'll quit. But they were 1 step faster: They fired me for stating the earth is a sphere in space... - AFTER just having been praised for a 121-page-long ASSY instruction document I created for their products (including corrected and decent BOMs, which they did not have), I haven NOW spend just 1 day writing a manual for a product in that exact same style (as being asked for). I copied a lot of the copy-protected information from a competitor's manual into the new manual, AS REQUESTED at the same time, but I removed all the mistakes and short-comings in the competitors manual - i.e. the incompetent competitor's manual was permanently using the term "shorted switch", which obviously is a damaged switch - see:
https://dcnelectrical.com.au/common-...0be%20replaced.

I knew that, where they were using the term shorted switch, they meant: CLOSED SWITCH! I dared to correct this and similar mistakes (including not starting the manual with 10 blank pages), but as I was kind of asked to just copy the competitors manual (but while putting it into their companies style - which is a contradiction), I got fired. I kind of made a gamble with that:
I thought, either I get praised big time for fixing up an utterly screwed-up manual, which was endorsed by my boss, or I get into trouble for it, and something bad happens. Even I did not expect that doing my job as engineer result in direct dismissal. But yeah...: I am kind of glad that it came that way, because I do not want to waste my time working for a company, where one gets fired for doing a perfect job as engineer, while not endorsing the mistakes of the boss. I also corrected the wiring diagram of the product for which the manual was: That wiring manual was also coming from the direction of the bosses.... - and it was sooooo wrong! Way more than 10 serious mistakes and the guy in the workshop build the product exactly to that diagram and of course it did not work like that. SO, again: Clearly, the bosses do not want to be corrected regardless how wrong they are... This company currently has big expansion plans - but only very recently 2 key employees quit on their own behalf. They have currently basically no one left to do anything, and the 2 bosses are virtually never in the office. SO, yeah, the famous words from the Australian movie "The Castle" come to mind: "Tell him, he's dreaming!"

SO: While I did not post any new DIY guides on this forum here as I was very busy with paid work, I have plenty to publish "in store" (half prepared) and hopefully I can throw out quite a few more of those DIY guides. Those, who know my DIY guides, know, how detailed they are and that is exactly how I did the ASSY instructions at my last job, for which I got praised for big time just a week before dismissal...

Oh and in response to:

>> I am amazed that Jaguar ever let those lugs get on a car. I don't think I would hire the engineer that thought that dud of a lug up.

If what I just went thru is any indication of how things are done in the industry:
I'd say the design for the outer-shell lug nuts came straight from the boss, and the engineers responsible signed off on it so that they do not loose their job, not caring about the customer, who has to suffer the consequences...

PS:
Here is another "good one" from when I was called into that meeting via OUTLOOK with the general manager as participant (which whom I often met regarding my project-progress) AND also as participant of the meeting: That woman, of which I even after 7 month working there I have not the slightest inkling of what her contribution to/in that company is, but one thing is for sure: If there is a Spanish Inquisition going on, she'll be part of it. So, I knew in advance of that meeting that not all is well in the state of Denmark. I was in the meeting room first, and when they trotted in, I greeted them with: "Another witch-hunt?" (...because only 2 weeks earlier they wanted to pin some utter nonsense on me based upon a false report from a worker, who is not doing anything in that company - just sitting around, and when he does something, they others say: I wish, he would not do anything at all, because if he does, we have to fix it up afterwards...). And I could not have been more correct - it was another witch-hunt....

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 09-18-2024 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added PS note