S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out of the trunk, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locked out of the trunk, HELP!!!

Okay, here's the deal. Haven't driven the Jag in a couple of weeks, because it's got some sort of coolant leak that I haven't had a chance to track down yet. Went to start it the other day to put it up on some ramps so I could have a look, but it wouldn't start. Went today to get some tools out of the trunk, and realized that the battery was too dead for the trunk release to work.

Of course, as everyone knows, the battery is securely locked in the trunk, which, without power, is very secure indeed. No problem, I know there's a keyhole somewhere under the "J" on the trunk trim. Yup, found it. Got the key in it, turned the key, and... NOTHING! Trunk won't release with the key.

Now, I've seen the posts about tearing out the back seat and using a coathanger to pull the emergency release inside, but I'm afraid that whatever's causing the key release to not work might also have rendered that inoperable, and I'd rather not go through all the work just to find that. Is it possible to use one of those cigarette lighter chargers to charge the battery up enough for the trunk release to work? I realize that they don't charge too quickly, but I'm not in a hurry. I also assume I'd need to have the key in the "accessory" location to get the cigarette lighter/power point circuit active.

And as a side thought, how long should a good battery last before running down if the car isn't being used regularly? No idea how old the battery that's in there is, but it seemed fine when I was driving it every day.

The following users liked this post:
ShiftDriftDream (07-17-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,986 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Here you go. Two methods in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ng-port-87362/

Magicland (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this last Sunday. Take out the ski bag from the rear armrest then find something to pull the release tab. I used a stick that was about 30" long with a screw inserted perpendicularly in the end. It worked. My problems with the battery and key were identical. This only takes a couple of minutes to do. Give it a shot.

Magicland (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jarrodweaver
I did this last Sunday. Take out the ski bag from the rear armrest then find something to pull the release tab. I used a stick that was about 30" long with a screw inserted perpendicularly in the end. It worked. My problems with the battery and key were identical. This only takes a couple of minutes to do. Give it a shot.
This sounded great until I looked and realized I don't have a ski thing, just a fold-down armrest (I obviously don't spend a lot of time sitting in the back).

Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM

There is a long flap of leather that attaches via velcro at the top. Pull this down and the ski bag should be behind it. It can be quickly removed from inside the trunk, so give it a whack or two with your fist to knock it into the trunk. Then you will be able to fish around for the release handle.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by jarrodweaver
There is a long flap of leather that attaches via velcro at the top. Pull this down and the ski bag should be behind it. It can be quickly removed from inside the trunk, so give it a whack or two with your fist to knock it into the trunk. Then you will be able to fish around for the release handle.

Good luck!
Apparently this is an option, and I don't have it. Behind the fold down armrest there's a piece of fabric, and behind that is a solid seat back.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

There is a charging plug in one of the wheel arches. I believe it to be the right hand front. It should have a red cap and is the positive connection but check it. This way you should be able to charge the battery quicker.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Yes use the charging stud in the passenger side wheel well. It's under the wheel well liner.

I would try some lube on the key and work the lock. It should work but as you know it's never used so can cause problems.

Be sure and lube your gas cap flap release plastic pin too. Just good maintenance.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-19-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Magicland
Of course, as everyone knows, the battery is securely locked in the trunk, which, without power, is very secure indeed. No problem, I know there's a keyhole somewhere under the "J" on the trunk trim. Yup, found it. Got the key in it, turned the key, and... NOTHING! Trunk won't release with the key.
I'm in the same boat; going to try the passenger terminal. Good luck!

I found the ski bag, but couldn't figure out how to take it off. I'd tried pulling it out, versus punching it in.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 AM

Knowing the ski bag thing opens into the trunk, instead of into the rear seat is half the battle. The release mechanism is on the top, if that helps. I tried more delicate means to get it to release, but the swift punch was the most effective method.

After opening the trunk, I tied a string to the internal release and routed it through the armrest until I was confident the battery was fully restored. This way I could just reach in and pull the string to open it if necessary. (Mechanical engineering is often the most simple solution.)

Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Finally got a chance to try out the fuse panel under the hood, no-go, as apparently all the positions have changed between 2001 and 2005. Finding +5v wouldn't be an issue, if the battery weren't dead. Connected to the location shown on the linked thread, and one of the relays started clicking away...

Old 07-19-2017, 02:26 AM

Is it still clicking or has it settled down. We're able to find out which one and what it controls you may be able to pull it for the moment.

in answer to your question about how long can a battery hold a charge. It all depends on a lot of factors but with these cars and the maintenance free batteries if you don't drive it regularly and only on short distances then you need to change it at least once a month.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ducmon
Is it still clicking or has it settled down. We're able to find out which one and what it controls you may be able to pull it for the moment.

in answer to your question about how long can a battery hold a charge. It all depends on a lot of factors but with these cars and the maintenance free batteries if you don't drive it regularly and only on short distances then you need to change it at least once a month.
Tried it on a few different "not in use" locations (the ones with only 1 terminal), and I don't know why, but every one seemed to set a relay clicking (different relay for each "unused" terminal). Not knowing how things are wired (the relays aren't labeled in the owner's manual, and I didn't have a wiring diagram handy) I was afraid I'd fry something. Tried the trunk release while it was hooked up and relay clicking, but nothing. Also (just for the heck of it) checked the valet switch in the glove compartment, no luck. May have to see if I can persuade one of the seatback releases to be accessible if I can remove the side bolster, I've had it out when I've ran wires to the trunk...

Think it might have been just on the edge of 4 weeks since I'd driven it last when it ran down.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicland
Tried it on a few different "not in use" locations
Post #8.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Have you downloaded a copy of the JTIS it includes wiring diagrams and use the emergency charging stud. We have told you where it is. Under the wheel arch cover right hand side of the car.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ducmon
Have you downloaded a copy of the JTIS it includes wiring diagrams and use the emergency charging stud. We have told you where it is. Under the wheel arch cover right hand side of the car.
And by the time I get the "emergency" charging stud uncovered, I'd have done more work than removing the rear seat. It may work, but it's probably the least convenient option of all (short of cutting a hole in the trunk from the outside).

Managed to get the rear seats folded down, now I've got to locate the emergency trunk release. Wasn't immediately apparent, hoping it's in the owner's manual (unlike the "emergency" charging stud, which isn't mentioned there at all).

Okay, this is getting "interesting" (but not in a good way). Crawled around in the trunk, didn't see any yellow release handle. Figured it might be trapped under the fabric on the inside of the trunk or something, so I pulled out the christmas tree plugs holding it in place and had a look underneath. Nothing. May have to go after that emergency charging stud after all, ugh...

Inside of the top of the trunk with fabric removed. No yellow release handle.

I believe this is the manual key trunk opener. Turns with key, but doesn't open trunk. Would pulling on that cable release the latch, or is it something that would break and prevent the trunk from ever opening again?

Well, answered that question. The other end isn't hooked up to anything, so "no" and "no"...

Last edited by Magicland; 07-19-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

If the "Valet" button is pushed the key won't open the trunk. The "Valet" button is in the glove box.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If the "Valet" button is pushed the key won't open the trunk. The "Valet" button is in the glove box.
With the battery totally dead how could the valet button effect this or does it operate a mechanical slide mechanism of some sort?

BTW, wheel liner requires wheel removal, some torx bits and pull pin type plastic tabs. You'll probably have to replace some of those. Given where this has gone I think I'd try this next. But it would be good to know why you've been thwarted thus far with the fully mechanical techniques.

Update: I just tried the valet button experiment and it had absolutely no effect on the operation of the mechanical unlock of the trunk on my car at least.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-21-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I suppose a valet key would not open the boot (trunk) as they're physically different. A normal key should of course, but sometimes people don't use the lock for years and the lock then fails just when you need it.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

The regular key has a notch cut in the tip, the valet key is "square". I have both. The regular key has a fob the valet doesn't.

The valet key won't physically slide into the lock.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green