S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods, whats your .02?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods, whats your .02?

I recently bought an 01 S-type if you missed my intro.

I installed HIDs in headlights and foglights and LED LP lights

In the next week or so I plan on having the Chrome bar grill, and LED Parking lights

Future mods I would like to include a F/g'd system tucked in the trunk, Double Din Touchscreen Nav
and a Nice set of 20's to set it off, and lightly tint the tail lights.

what else would you all recommend?

I like the look of the newer S-types and was considering getting the chrome mirror covers.

And I am still in a debate weather the chrome headlight rings look good or not.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts
Default RE: Mods, whats your .02?

quick Q, what's F/g'd supposed to be slang for?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking bass but not for sure! Do the chrome mirror covers but steer clear of the chrome rings for the headlights and taillights. They over do it! The mirror covers look awesome though...What kind of 20's you thinking?

Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM

F/g'd = Fiberglassed...

Thanks for the opionion Aquill, I was definitley staying away from the tail lights. May steer away from the headlights too.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

...whew, I can sleep now that I have resolved that mystery. lol thanks.

In addition to aquill's comments, remember that going to 20's from what...18's, you're likely to sacrifise alot of that ride comfort. If you have 18's now, 19's look like a pretty large difference, and you don't have to compromise much on the ride.

Seeing what you do with your other cars, i'm sure the component system, or whatever you build, will exceed what the stock sound system can even think about doing. That's a gimme in my book.

I saw a s-type w/ tinted tail lights, and it looked too 'pimped' for my liking. In my eyes, a Jag stands out on it's own merit, and needs very little customizing to make it an eyecatcher moreso than it already is.

I'm about to post a pretty thorough post in the Exterior section about LED bulbs, the good ones, and the rest!... how to size one appropriately, which location are the best suited for, etc. along with other alternatives to LED upgrades...yes, there are. Its something that I have been working thru for the last two months changing a few exterior (no interior) bulbs in my XK, buying and trying all kinds of combinations in my marker, turn, brake, tail light, rear fog, and license plate. If you can wait until that is finished, it'll give you some good background in which to either pursue, or rethink your light bulb changeout.

The NAV screen sounds tight, and the only issues people have with putting in one (aftermarket nav/radio i presume) is the lack of a faceplate adapter. I have read a few posts about not needing one if you get the right double din unit, but aquill can give you more links and advice in that direction. My car is totally different than yours, but I like to pay attention for the most part.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM

I thought the same thing when I bought my Jag h20boy. It came with smoked out tail lights. I even bought the original
tailights off e-bay to replace them. I have yet to change them out.

The look is kinda growing on me. I guess it all depends on what coloryour ride is. I think is does
the black justice

Speaking of rims:

I have 18 x 8.5 front and back "Jaguar factory - pictured". Without me having to go to my local Jaguar
dealer , would anybody know if these rims are available in 9.5 "for the rear"

PS: Still trying to figure out what size my lug nuts are.

Name:  Jaguar-rear.gif
Views: 1549
Size:  194.2 KB

Name:  Jagaur-Side-A.gif
Views: 260
Size:  147.4 KB

Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

transmissions don't usually like 20's

Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Jag_genius, thanks for the heads up!...

Okay so I saw a 300c on my way to work today, it had chrome mirror covers, and the crome b-pillar trim and it looked great, I wasnt sure if I would like either but it was the same dark blue color as my car and I think it looked really classy and not ricey/overdone at all. I thinkI may go the same route... Opinions?

Does anyone know about installing double dins in our car? I know I've seen a couple on CarDomain so I'm assuming its possible but what all does it take?.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Actually metra makes a dash kit for the cars I'm going to tear my x apart right now to figure out what wiring kit/if any that you can use. I know bigdreams on here put one in his s-type but I'm pretty sure his isn't a 02 or newere so the wiring is different (I think-not for sure though.)

What brand tint do you use for tinting the taillights? I've used nightshade before and it looked great but also lit up very well, which is always a good thing. Personally I don't like the pillar chrome but the mirrors are a for sure thing!

If you have whatever comes stock on the early s-type's I'd move up to 18-19's but I wouldn't go any bigger. The ride is a bit different for mine going from 17-18's. I don't have a very comfortable amount of rubber underneath my rims so I'm kind of scared of driving it. Since yours is an older s-type I'd pm bigdreams about what he did for his radio install...pm me if there's anything I can help you with...

Old 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i really like the chrome mirror covers to match chrome grill n chrome wheels on the luxury models (non-R), if my next one has chrome wheels ill def get the mirror covers to match! Thee last time my car was in for service I had a Radiance(the burgundy color) Stype with the 18" wheels cajun's has (triton I believe is the style) and chrome mirror covers and it looked very sexy!

Old 02-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

by the way the title of the thread made me think you were asking moderators on the site, lol i dont know if it was the fact i just woke up from a nap or others also might have thought this[8D]

Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind bmw you'd lose the supercharger if you go for the chrome!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM

^^ I thought about that after I posted it haha...

Thanks for the tips everyone, it has the stock 17's on it now.
After hearing your alls opinions I may got 18-19...

I'm just glad I got my headlights back to new condition (thanks to the post here from the audi forums)

For the tail lights I was going to use nightshades, and just do about 2 coats on it for a very subtle look, something you'd be like, is that even tinted?...

A little update, I got my 7LED Parking lights in, I love the way they look, I'm hoping to get every bulb replaced (except the sidemarkers, not sure if that would look right) with LED's.

I'll definitley check around about the double din and wiring, thanks for the responses guys.

I think it would look great with the chrome mirrors, chrome grill, chrome pillars... My main goal is to keep it classy and clean, not tacky.