S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner of 2001 Jaguar S-Type...need a little help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New owner of 2001 Jaguar S-Type...need a little help please!!!

This is what i bought from a friend for a fairly good price but it has a few problems. First i know it has 2 bad O2 Sensors and a bad catalytic converter but this is where i need help from the EXPERTS ...what happens is, lets say i first turn the car on during the day everything works fine but as the day passes and I'm driving around the car begins to accelerate funny even to the point of not getting past 20MPH, what i mean is when i push the pedal i can see my RPM's go up but the car won't move or will move really slow, also when i go from P to D i have to wait a few seconds to sometimes more than 10 seconds for it to start moving, I have taken it to 3 different mechanics and all 3 have said different things .

The first one said outright that i need a new transmission, the other one said it could just be some sensors and the last one said i just needed a tranny tune up. BTW my car smells like burning oil too from inside, i mean obviously something is wrong but i just want to know WHAT . Does anyone know a good jaguar mechanic in San Diego, CA? also why does this get worse the more i drive but not during a cold start? Thanks everyone for your time.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 AM

I forgot one thing, the car has 108K miles, clean title and has a check engine light on.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats, your ride looks nice , wheels awesome too . I am sure our S Type gurus will gladly help you out solve your problems

Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

It will drive badly with those faulty parts. The car is simply unable to control its fuelling so you risk doing major further damage. Also, those faults will make any other diagnosis somewhere from hard to impossible. I don't understand why you have not fixed the known faults.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by jagv8
It will drive badly with those faulty parts. The car is simply unable to control its fuelling so you risk doing major further damage. Also, those faults will make any other diagnosis somewhere from hard to impossible. I don't understand why you have not fixed the known faults.
Oh i am working on that (saving money) of course I'm going to fix that as soon as i can and yes i have decided not to drive it anymore until at least i fix that. So what you are saying is that fixing those faults could solve my acceleration problem? thanks.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

They may, but if the acceleration problem is something else I doubt you could diagnose it until you have fixed them.

You say "a" bad cat. The way the car is now fuelling/running you do realise the other cat is at risk, I hope.

If you have time but a shortage of money I'd get the workshop manual (ebay $6) but especially an ELM327 (ebay $20). Then, read a lot about how the feedback stuff and OBD-II all hang together so you can watch your cars sensors and understand what's working and what isn't. You only need to avoid fitting one thing to more then justfy the minimal costs.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Burning oil smell inside cabin points to the IMT O-Rings. The '01's differ slightly from the '05's (location wise) which I have had to replace (along with many other members here).

They are located on the intake manifold. The O-Rings allow oil to drip onto the engine causing the burnt oil smell. Along those lines excess oil is also being burnt and sent through the O2 sensors and cats.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I would start by replacing the O-Rings, cheap and easy! Get a JTIS on ebay or www.alldatadiy.com subscribtion to aid in replacement.

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-20-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The burning oil smell may also be cooking transmission fluid. There's a distinct difference between trans and engine oil odors. He mentioned it takes time for the transmission to engage after shifting from Park to Drive= Burnt trans. oil odor + slippage= either cooked clutch packs and/or failed transmission pump. My opinion is toasted trans= rebuild or swap. Not enough info. to determine alleged catalytic converter-O2 sensor issues.
Nice ride even though she has 108k on the clock. If purchased at a low price= worth to rebuild/swap tranny, etc.

Last edited by bfsgross; 07-20-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Cooked clutch packs, worn out bands and likely a pump. I agree.

This is definitely the time to get it looked at by a qualified person....

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

It's inconclusive - if it's running as he describes then it will be shifting very badly and deliberately slowly.

This sounds like DIY only for the kind of person who would not have needed to ask the questions!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed. It's a big job replacing or rebuilding a tranny. I've done it a couple of times and I ended up having to buy new tools and sending some stuff out anyway.

Cheaper to get it done.

Go here:

http://www.atra.com/

Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default 01 Jag with trans. slippage, etc.

jagv8, definitely inconclusive without inspecting the car...just some armchair mechanics throwing out their thoughts for the owner to ponder as both a means of guidance and education. Agreed; he needs a pro.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

No argument from me about the armchair etc LOL

Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Can anyone recommend me a good place to get this car checked here in San Diego, CA?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Your symptoms sound exactly what our '01 was doing and the tranny was the culprit. Thankfully it was still under warranty, however the replacement tranny did the same thing but worse. At times would only go about 15 miles an hour for a little bit then would decide to take off when it damn well felt like it. Had a couple of short changing experiences with that. The 3rd tranny has been going strong for 7 years now.

After our dealer talked to Jaguar found out it was happening in some other 01 S-types also.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PaleRider
Your symptoms sound exactly what our '01 was doing and the tranny was the culprit. Thankfully it was still under warranty, however the replacement tranny did the same thing but worse. At times would only go about 15 miles an hour for a little bit then would decide to take off when it damn well felt like it. Had a couple of short changing experiences with that. The 3rd tranny has been going strong for 7 years now.

After our dealer talked to Jaguar found out it was happening in some other 01 S-types also.
That doesn't sound good...

Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Elvis87

This is what i bought from a friend for a fairly good price but it has a few problems. First i know it has 2 bad O2 Sensors and a bad catalytic converter but this is where i need help from the EXPERTS ...what happens is, lets say i first turn the car on during the day everything works fine but as the day passes and I'm driving around the car begins to accelerate funny even to the point of not getting past 20MPH, what i mean is when i push the pedal i can see my RPM's go up but the car won't move or will move really slow, also when i go from P to D i have to wait a few seconds to sometimes more than 10 seconds for it to start moving, I have taken it to 3 different mechanics and all 3 have said different things .

The first one said outright that i need a new transmission, the other one said it could just be some sensors and the last one said i just needed a tranny tune up. BTW my car smells like burning oil too from inside, i mean obviously something is wrong but i just want to know WHAT . Does anyone know a good jaguar mechanic in San Diego, CA? also why does this get worse the more i drive but not during a cold start? Thanks everyone for your time.
My car was doing the same thing. I dont know how right the 1st mechanic was but I went that route and it fixed the problem(new transmission) the oil smell isnt connected to the way its driving because i didnt have the buring smell and went through the same hell in my opinion but all i know how to do is change a tire. so grain of salt

Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PaleRider

mine is going to start that same thing. So I just need to know where on earth should I be buying my next tranny because this one is not covered

Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Already answered in this thread????

Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Default Car smells

I have 2.5 s-type with an emission smell in and around the car. HAve had O2 sensors replaced as it was using fuel (running rich) and this helped a little. I think I will replace the cats to see if this remove the odour. Has any 1 used non genuiune cats with success or failure??

Quick Reply: New owner of 2001 Jaguar S-Type...need a little help please!!!