Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner :) and few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Moo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner :) and few questions

Hello everyone, just got a 2007 S-Type 4.2, and very impressed so far with the road manners of this vehicle.

However it seems to have a couple of issues

1. high-pitched whine coming from the rear side of the vehicle at speed...

2. noticed a puddle of water (well, it doesn't look/smell like anything else) after leaving it in garage overnight...

3. the front grill seem to stay hot for a while even after engine shutdown, is this normal? no dash warning lights at all whatsoever.

I know #1 is a TSB item, and I will ask the dealer to fix under warranty. But have any of you experienced #2 before? I guess one reason might be that the car was recently detailed before being sold, and the under pan caught some water??

Cheers!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Moo
Hello everyone, just got a 2007 S-Type 4.2, and very impressed so far with the road manners of this vehicle.

However it seems to have a couple of issues

1. high-pitched whine coming from the rear side of the vehicle at speed...

2. noticed a puddle of water (well, it doesn't look/smell like anything else) after leaving it in garage overnight...

3. the front grill seem to stay hot for a while even after engine shutdown, is this normal? no dash warning lights at all whatsoever.

I know #1 is a TSB item, and I will ask the dealer to fix under warranty. But have any of you experienced #2 before? I guess one reason might be that the car was recently detailed before being sold, and the under pan caught some water??

Cheers!
Hi Moo,
Can't help with No. 1 but as you say your dealer should sort that noise out for you.

With regard to the water on the garage floor, this is probably due to the A/C system with the condensation dripping from the compressor unit which is quite normal. However to be sure keep an eye on the coolant level for a day or so just to ensure it is no from the cooling system.
If the water on the floor is clear and clean I'm sure it will be from the Air Conditioning System and nothing to worry about.
My 2.5 V6 stays warm for sometime after switching off and as long as the Temperature Gauge is reading normal, you should be okay on this point.
Very nice looking car and hope you enjoy it and have many happy miles of motoring with it.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Mooooooo.

Take care of #1 asap. It is a known problem in the S-Type and the repair outside of warranty is around $4,000. Mine currently has this problem.
#2 is more than likely the AC or leftover water like you thought.
#3 seems normal. My STR is the same way.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

#3 My 3.0 does the same thing. I think it's due to the unusual grille, which because of it's position and angle allows airflow to come from the engine compartment out the front while at rest. It's perfectly normal. Most modern cars have the intake low, and that warm air exhausts out the back of the lid. Our cars are just special.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Moo, Welcome and congrats on a great looking S.
I agree 100% with the other posters: get the warranty work done ASAP, AC condensate and normal heat with shutdown. As as your running Engine temp. stays in the middle of the gauge and the electric fans don't run , its fine.
Best wishes, VMV

Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Moo

Thanks for everyone's advice, appreciate the input.

Btw, there's another TSB that states "Permanent high spot marking to tire inboard sidewall." -- what the heck does that mean??

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i thought that i seen that one on ebay? you bought it from there? congrats.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Moo

Just checking back in...

Rear-end whine: so the dealer checked out the car, and replaced the propshaft under warranty. I don't hear the whine anymore.

Hopefully this isn't a "quick fix" to a larger & more costly issue with the differentials...

Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Moo
Just checking back in...

Rear-end whine: so the dealer checked out the car, and replaced the propshaft under warranty. I don't hear the whine anymore.

Hopefully this isn't a "quick fix" to a larger & more costly issue with the differentials...

What's the propshaft?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Try a dictionary or in google type
define propshaft

Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 AM

jagv8, if you can't contribute a real answer, get off the forum.

The whole point of the forum is to learn from other peoples experience and knowledge; not to be told to look somewhere else for an answer.

Even though you're considered a "Veteran Member", you rarely seem to offer any actual advice. It's easy to rack up 2,000 + post when all you post is snippy garbage.

Last edited by Iluvmy05STR; 09-03-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Iluvmy05STR
jagv8, if you can't contribute a real answer, get off the forum.

The whole point of the forum is to learn from other peoples experience and knowledge; not to be told to look somewhere else for an answer.

Even though you're considered a "Veteran Member", you rarely seem to offer any actual advice. It's easy to rack up 2,000 + post when all you post is snippy garbage.
You asked what the propshaft is and I gave you a VERY easy way to go and find out. I suggest you put a bit of effort in.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Thank you for proving my point.

Last edited by Iluvmy05STR; 09-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

What's the propshaft?
Here is what I think it is.

In British English, the term "drive shaft" is restricted to a transverse shaft that transmits power to the wheels, especially the front wheels. A drive shaft connecting the gearbox to a rear differential is called a propeller shaft, or prop-shaft. A prop-shaft assembly consists of a propeller shaft, a slip joint and one or more universal joints. Where the engine and axles are separated from each other, as on four-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive vehicles, it is the propeller shaft that serves to transmit the drive force generated by the engine to the axles.
A drive shaft connecting a rear differential to a rear wheel may be called a half shaft. The name derives from the fact that two such shafts are required to form one rear axle.
Several different types of drive shaft are used in the automotive industry:
  • One-piece drive shaft
  • Two-piece drive shaft
  • Slip-in-tube drive shaft
The slip-in-tube drive shaft is a new type that also helps in crash energy management. It can be compressed in the event of a crash, so is also known as a collapsible drive shaft.

This is not a Jaguar one though.

Mike

Last edited by carelm; 09-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for proving my point.
In the time you've spent complaining you could've spent the same energy learning instead of being lazy.

I don't see many (any?) useful contributions made by you, btw.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks carlem, now there's a good answer.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

subscribed

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Here is what I think it is.

In British English, the term "drive shaft" is restricted to a transverse shaft that transmits power to the wheels, especially the front wheels. A drive shaft connecting the gearbox to a rear differential is called a propeller shaft, or prop-shaft. A prop-shaft assembly consists of a propeller shaft, a slip joint and one or more universal joints. Where the engine and axles are separated from each other, as on four-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive vehicles, it is the propeller shaft that serves to transmit the drive force generated by the engine to the axles.
A drive shaft connecting a rear differential to a rear wheel may be called a half shaft. The name derives from the fact that two such shafts are required to form one rear axle.

Several different types of drive shaft are used in the automotive industry:
  • One-piece drive shaft
  • Two-piece drive shaft
  • Slip-in-tube drive shaft
The slip-in-tube drive shaft is a new type that also helps in crash energy management. It can be compressed in the event of a crash, so is also known as a collapsible drive shaft.

This is not a Jaguar one though.

Mike

Hi,
Also sometimes referred to as the Cardan Shaft.
Regards,
Inver.