Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil...AT ALL????

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Oil...AT ALL????

I have a 2001 S Type 4.0

Recently I have been noticing a slight sporatic "hiccup" while driving. The best way to describe it is the initial quick jerk or stutter feeling when you are about to run out of gas. It may last for a quick second then go away...or kinda like a transmission slip....

Had somebody check out the tranny and the engine...both seem good...but I noticed when i check my oil dip stick there is literally NO OIL in there. I don't even know how the car is still running. There is a lot of leakage on the top of the engine near the oil dip stick...I think it might be the valve cover.

Is this common on this model?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

When was the last time you checked your oil?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It may "just" be off the bottom. Add more gradually, checking the level often so as not to overfill. Still, not good.

The following users liked this post:
Marquise Williams (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Check the oil when the engine is not running and being sit for at least twenty to thirty minutes to get an accurate reading.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marquise Williams
I have a 2001 S Type 4.0

Recently I have been noticing a slight sporatic "hiccup" while driving. The best way to describe it is the initial quick jerk or stutter feeling when you are about to run out of gas. It may last for a quick second then go away...or kinda like a transmission slip....

Had somebody check out the tranny and the engine...both seem good...but I noticed when i check my oil dip stick there is literally NO OIL in there. I don't even know how the car is still running. There is a lot of leakage on the top of the engine near the oil dip stick...I think it might be the valve cover.

Is this common on this model?
If it turns out that there is no oil in the engine, the person who checked it for you was about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

As others have said you need to check the engine oil level with the motor stopped and cold. I usually check mine first thing in the morning before firing her up.

I suppose you know that you should be checking your oil level regularly, like once a week?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the insight...This is my wife's car and I should be better at checking on it....

The last time I checked the oil was yesterday and the day before. I have done it both when hot and cold and BOTH time I got pretty much nothing on the dip stick. Before that I checked the oil about 2 months ago (when we first got the car from her mom) because the check engine light came on and while I don't remember the exact codes that came back the dealer told me that it might be a false reading due to low oil and that I should put a heavier like truck oil in. I put 2 quarts in and the light hasn't come back on sense and it passed emissions.

I'm no mechanic and I checked the oil this time because my wife said the car would skip or stutter sporadically while driving

Note: just checked the oil now and pretty much same result on the dip stick...

Attached Thumbnails No Oil...AT ALL????-photo.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

It probably isn't completely empty of oil,

If it was, the oil pressure light would be on warning you of low-to-no oil pressure,

Add one quart at a time, check the dipstick after each quart, see if you're getting a reading,

Do this in order to estimate how much oil was missing, i think your car takes about 6 quarts total,

your car is either leaking or burning oil, see if you can get it diagnosed, otherwise,

You need to top the oil off to the full mark on the dipstick, drive for say 500 miles, check dip stick again. See how much oil it takes after X amount of miles, then keep track of your mileage and remember to add some oil every time you're down a quart or so,

Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if it is relevant but I have a hard time reading the oil on the dipstick right after an oil change because the oil is honey colored. I dab it against a paper towel or rag to double check the level.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Which oil are you using? Heavy ... doesn't sound right.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

To add my $0.02 here:

The first Jaguar I purchased (00 S Type 4.0 V8 - nightmare car - skipped tooth on cam - got rid of car like a hot potato!!!) was showing no oil on the dipstick when I first received the car. It took about 3 quarts of oil to get a nominal reading on the dipstick. I was surprised how much oil she took and I have had some big V8 motors in my day!

The 4.0 V8 motor takes 6.9 qts of oil during refill (of course compensating for a new oil filter as well)

It has already been mentioned - the car is low on oil - not out of oil...

Add 1 qt of oil, check dipstick, add .5 qt, check dip stick and so on until you get a reading on the dipstick - then fill carefully to the max fill mark.

BTW - running this motor shy of 2 - 3 quarts of oil is NOT GOOD!!!

Your intermittent stutter issue could be related to one (or more) failing or intermittent misfiring coil(s).

Your oil leak and coil issue could be somewhat related - I mean oil leaking into the spark wells. (But not enough of a leak to be shy 2 - 3 quarts)

Finally, please teach your wife how to check the oil level. or at best you check it weekly...

Hope the above info helps.

Last edited by abonano; 09-05-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM

its good to know that it is not out of oil completely. I will grab some oil...what is the best type of oil to get? I live in Atlanta and it gets pretty hot here...I only have 75,xxx miles on the car...

I will check the oil consistently so my wife doesn't have to forget and mess the car up.

I appreciate all of the help so far.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

5W30 for me but it's cooler here. Anything: non-synth, semi-synth, etc, would be far better than not enough.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM

its good to know that it is not out of oil completely. I will grab some oil...what is the best type of oil to get? I live in Atlanta and it gets pretty hot here...I only have 75,xxx miles on the car...

I will check the oil consistently so my wife doesn't have to forget and mess the car up.

I appreciate all of the help so far.
5W30 would be your best bet.

I believe that's what Jaguar calls for...

I have personally used 0W20 (during winter months) and either 5W20 or 5W30 - full synthetic (I think the car behaves better with Mobil 1 EP Synthetic - but, that's my personal preference ) - but, regular dino oil is just fine as well.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I will grab some oil...what is the best type of oil to get?
The owners manual lists the correct viscosity.

I wouldn't even start the engine if there's no oil showing on the dipstick. Be sure to monitor the consumption to see if there's a problem or not.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 AM

Thanks for the insight...This is my wife's car and I should be better at checking on it....

The last time I checked the oil was yesterday and the day before. I have done it both when hot and cold and BOTH time I got pretty much nothing on the dip stick. Before that I checked the oil about 2 months ago (when we first got the car from her mom) because the check engine light came on and while I don't remember the exact codes that came back the dealer told me that it might be a false reading due to low oil and that I should put a heavier like truck oil in. I put 2 quarts in and the light hasn't come back on sense and it passed emissions.

I'm no mechanic and I checked the oil this time because my wife said the car would skip or stutter sporadically while driving

Note: just checked the oil now and pretty much same result on the dip stick...
The same as what? No oil? Or the correctr reading on the dipstick.

We're trying to help you here guy, don't leave us hanging please.

Re the suggestion of putting in "heavy truck oil", that's just rubbish. The engine needs the oil it was designed to run with in terms of viscosity or thickness.

5w-30 is OK but if the ambient temp where you live is constantly above 30°C I would use 5w-40. As others have said, it really doesn't matter too much whether it's fully or semi synth, what matters is that it has enough clean oil init to protect the engine.

If I were you I would have the engine oil changed and then monitor it every morning morning until I was satisfied that the situation had stabilised; then check it once a week.

Afte all, how long does it take to check the engine oil level on a cold engine engine? 30 secs?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 PM

I grabbed 2 quarts of 5-30W and its just getting to the min mark on the dip stick...but at least I feel more comfortable now...I'm gonna start looking for a place to get a full oil change cause I dont know what type of oil was in there before and I dont know what happens when you mix oil types..

Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I dont know what happens when you mix oil types..
Nothing.

Add more oil to get to the max. mark and start monitoring consumption.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 AM

I grabbed 2 quarts of 5-30W and its just getting to the min mark on the dip stick...but at least I feel more comfortable now...I'm gonna start looking for a place to get a full oil change cause I dont know what type of oil was in there before and I dont know what happens when you mix oil types..
Just to be clear, you are checking the oil level on a cold engine or one that stopped running at 30mins to alow the oil to settle and give a correct reading - yes?

That being the case I would add at least another half quart so the oil level is at least halfway between min and max.

You do know the doing an oil oilchange is an easy job, you could probably to it yourself then you would know at little bit more about this car.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by thebiglad
Just to be clear, you are checking the oil level on a cold engine or one that stopped running at 30mins to alow the oil to settle and give a correct reading - yes?

That being the case I would add at least another half quart so the oil level is at least halfway between min and max.

You do know the doing an oil oilchange is an easy job, you could probably to it yourself then you would know at little bit more about this car.

yeah I have been doing it first thing in the morning before the day gets started...I have done oil changes before...I have just ran into issues on previous cars and my time is money so I would rather just get the oil changes then do it on my own.

so a half quart will get it to the mid way point of the dip stick?

Old 09-07-2013, 03:11 PM

so a half quart will get it to the mid way point of the dip stick?
Nope... read through the responses - you need to get the oil to the max mark - not the half way point...