Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated & Multiple CEL codes - P0171 P0172 P0174 P0175

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Overheated & Multiple CEL codes - P0171 P0172 P0174 P0175

Hello again to everyone,

2006 Jaguar S-type 125000 , 3.0L V6 - love this vehicle.

CEL light have been on for a few days, when scanned it shows 8 codes P0171 P0172 P0174 P0175 & the same codes with a P after it, P0171 P ,P0172 P ,P0174 P, P0175 P im not sure what the extra P is but I am using some cheapo odb scanner I got on amazon so possibly its a bug?

In any case yesterday driving home the car stalled/turned off at a red light (dash gauge was showing the engine in normal temperature) ... I let the car sit for 30min, added some water as the reservoir looked empty, when adding 1 gallon I heard bubbling and saw steam. No water leaked out over the next 10minutes. Car fired back up and drove it home, CEL is on but car felt completely normal.

I am going to read a bunch of forum posts on the codes above, I just was not sure if all 4 codes together means something different. On other posts I do see members saying check vacuum leaks and the such but those posts only mention the 2 codes and the car was not shutting off.

Not driving the vehicle until this is resolved. I was thinking to check/change the MAF , but not certain how to check if its good or bad ??

Any help / guidance is much appreciated - LOVE this forum and appreciate you members very much for the help in the past!

Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Have you got a copy of the JTIS?
make yourself a diy diagnostic smoker (google a you tube vid) as it sounds like you have a air leak in the vacuum pipes.
I thought you had corrected the water leak problem last year.

Check your oil to see if there is any sign of water oil emulsion because it does not sound good.

The following users liked this post:
xoroniox (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ducmon
Have you got a copy of the JTIS?
make yourself a diy diagnostic smoker (google a you tube vid) as it sounds like you have a air leak in the vacuum pipes.
I thought you had corrected the water leak problem last year.

Check your oil to see if there is any sign of water oil emulsion because it does not sound good.
Thanks for the advice.
Yes I have the JTIS. Will look into a DIY smoker tonight. I did not notice any foam / milky stuff in the oil cap/dipstick but will check more into that as well and update, blown head gasket is scary.

Water leak was corrected ... not sure why the reservoir was empty yesterday. Will have to recheck that. Do you think there may be 2 separate issues going on?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by xoroniox
Hello again to everyone,

2006 Jaguar S-type 125000 , 3.0L V6 - love this vehicle.

CEL light have been on for a few days, when scanned it shows 8 codes P0171 P0172 P0174 P0175 & the same codes with a P after it, P0171 P ,P0172 P ,P0174 P, P0175 P im not sure what the extra P is but I am using some cheapo odb scanner I got on amazon so possibly its a bug?

In any case yesterday driving home the car stalled/turned off at a red light (dash gauge was showing the engine in normal temperature) ... I let the car sit for 30min, added some water as the reservoir looked empty, when adding 1 gallon I heard bubbling and saw steam. No water leaked out over the next 10minutes. Car fired back up and drove it home, CEL is on but car felt completely normal.
Step back from the ledge! Don't jump!

The codes are most likely caused by a vacuum leak(s). The engine probably stalled because of that. Find and fix the vacuum leaks. We can walk you through the details. Then drive the car. Smile cuz the S-Type is a bitching car in a world full of Kias.

Other than the low coolant, was there any evidence of actual overheating? When was the last time you had checked the coolant level? It could have been low for some time and gone unnoticed until you found it while in the throes of another problem and convinced yourself it meant something worse. The steaming/bubbling was probably perfectly normal as the cold water met the remaining hot coolant. Look for milkiness on the dipstick. Run a cooling system pressure test to rule out internal leaks. But so far, all you know for certain is that the coolant was low. The temp gauge was normal. No mention of any abnormal noises, either. Top off the coolant and keep an eye on it. But from what you've described, nothing fits an actual overheat.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Step back from the ledge! Don't jump!

The codes are most likely caused by a vacuum leak(s). The engine probably stalled because of that. Find lajnd fix the vacuum leaks. We can wa jlk you throughh the details. Then drive the car. Smile cuz the S-Type Ishmael a bitching car in a world full of
Other than the low coolant, was there any evidhence of actual overheating? When was the last time you had checked the coolant level? It could have been low for some time and gone unnoticed until you found it while in the throes of another problem and convinced yourself it meant something worse. The steaming/bubbling was probably perfectly normal as the cold water met the remaining hot coolant. Look for milkiness on the dipstick. Run a cooling system pressure test to rule out internal leaks. But so far, all you know for certain is that the coolant was low. The temp gauge was normal. No mention of any abnormal noises, either. Top off the coolant and keep an eye on it. But from what you've described, nothing fits an actual overheat.
Never gonna jump... never say die! Lmao thanks for that reply! Amen to that Kia comment!!

Ok so I found a loose connector on one of the lower hoses I guess someone replaced them before as it's sconnected with one of those metal screw to tighten bands vs the harder pinch to open bands. In any case, filled it up with distilled water will watch the water if it holds I'll flush empty that refill with dexcool. Pressure test on reservoir held @ 15psi for 5min so I'm thinking that's fine.

No signs of foam/milkiness on dipstick or cap- oil feels and looks normal. Car started back up fine engine coolant light went away, CEL still on , will have to work on that vacuum leak next. Looking up the smoker thing now and research vacuum leaks on this forum.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 PM

Just scanned the DTC codes- ATM showing the following slew of codes :

P0301
P0305
P0300
P0316
P0303
P0175
P0171
P0174
P0172

Could those misfire codes related to the vacuum leak which caused my car shutting off?

Last edited by xoroniox; 04-27-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:59 AM

Yes as the mixture could be way out due to too much air.
Just slow down.
Check the vacuum leak by using a diy diagnostic smoker.

2 do a pressure check on the coolant.

then tell us the results

Old 04-28-2017, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

OBD live data can show you the LTFTs, which should be near zero at idle and not change much if you rev it to about 2500. The likes of an elm327 can do live data.

xoroniox (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 AM

hi here is a easy smoker. I use a tire air pump that byou can run from the cigar lighter in the car

Old 04-28-2017, 09:07 AM

Yes as the mixture could be way out due to too much air.
Just slow down.
Check the vacuum leak by using a diy diagnostic smoker.

2 do a pressure check on the coolant.

then tell us the results

Pressure tested and it looks ok , held 14 psi for 5min.

Will work on that diy smoker and vacuum leak over the weekend. Thanks for the diy link you just recently sent! Appreciate your help my friend.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 AM

No problem
Just keep your Cuban cigars for when you are finished.

xoroniox (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Talking

No problem
Just keep your Cuban cigars for when you are finished.
I almost lit up one of my new cigars last night while checking the hoses lol I decided to wait until this vacuum thing is handled! funny you mentioned that

Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Live data can normally show with almost no cost and in effect zero effort and time that you do or do not have a leak. If you don't then smoke test is pointless.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

You have the V-6 which has a list of known problems starting with the IMT valves on the intake. Also a vacuum elbow that is known to rot and leak. Note both of these are vacuum leaks and will give the codes you have.

Have you done any of that repair? All the V-6 engines will get these failure eventually but if you DIY that are really not that expensive to fix. We have some very good repair guides for the V-6 guys as these are very common failures.

Have you changed the plugs?
Have you serviced the transmission?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 AM

Thank you all for the advice. So after a mishap , i was able to get the live data. See the photos but from what I looked up anything above 9 and below -9 is bad .. looks like im way past that lol

Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM

Go to the fifth post here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/cant-seem-figure-out-misfires-codes-181227/#post1675852

tells you about your readings

Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates, work has been really busy. I put the jag on the back burner until this weekend - i will do some more research and post updates & further questions once I have something.

Thank you all for the advice