Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0456 very small evap leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Realistically you need to do work on the actual car.
The man has a point. We cannot smell what you are detecting, nor can we realistically diagnose the car over the internet. You would be best off having a competent tech check the car out.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JagV8
Realistically you need to do work on the actual car.
Well that's a strange and not very useful reply considering that's what I am trying to do and what I came here for help for.....however I get it......and Thanks of our help so far.

To be clear, I bought this car with 38,000 miles on it and it now has 235,000 miles on it. It has been well taken care of and runs and looks like new.

I recently or in the past year have replaced all upper control arms with bushings and ball joints, rear tie rods, rear stabilizer links, brakes and rotors, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, plugs, coil packs, radiator, a/c dash module, climate control valve etc....

Clearly I have worked on the "actual car".

I love this car and want to keep it and that is why I keep putting money into it, however, living in a county that requires emissions testing I am getting a little panicky.

Though I want to keep it I am not willing to pay a shop thousands of dollars to guess and throw parts at it for this issue when I can do that myself like I have done everything else for a lot less money.

I just hoped that maybe mentioning the faint smell that only surfaced when this code appeared would help to steer me toward the front of the car where the purge valve is or towards the rear of the car where the tank and charcoal canister are.

Again, thanks for your help so far. I'll leave you alone now.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I'm not meaning to send you away. But you've mentioned the same things more than once and it looks like everyone's run out of new things to say.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Before you go away, I might point out that in your initial post, you did not even inform the forum of the model year and series of your car; you left it to the Admin to do that. Your post #22 is the first time you have given use the mileage on the vehicle; a lot can go wrong, emissions-wise, at 235K miles, particularly plastics developing minor cracks which can cause leaks.

Your "faint exhaust smell" may be an indicator, or not; it could be an unfortunate coincidence. Pretty tough to tell from a computer screen.

Did you take Brutal's suggestion in post #16 and apply a thin coasting of vasoline to the surface of the gas cap seal and report back if it did, or did not make a difference? With the windows rolled up, you may not be able to smell a small leak at the gas cap seal...

I get that you are frustrated; I would be too. But, you have to meet us at least half way in order for this to work.

JR

Last edited by S-Type Owner; 10-31-2018 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ronzues (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 05:31 PM

Oh I'm not going anywhere. I just meant I would leave you alone about this issue. I have done a lot of work on the car through the years and have turned to this site for much of that guidance, this is just the first issue that I have posted about.

I didn't try the vaseline yet. I did remove the gas cap, inspected the rubber gasket, removed and cleaned it thoroughly and it put it back on. It looks really good but for now I have just been gathering info and will start the process of elimination soon.

My wife's Enclave lately has been giving me problems so it has been priority.

May be coincidence but I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is under the hood because I had this code before the valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket replacement, then after putting everything back together this code was gone for 2 months or so. Now its back.

All good here.....thanks to all of you.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

You might want to take a look at this thread... food for thought:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-really-45876/

JR

ronzues (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Small evap leak is almost impossible to find. Ie i can put a hole in a hose and smoke test it knowing where i put the hole in the hose and cant see smoke. Sooooo we tell customers that this code is a go after the known areas as in purge valve, cannister close valve. Fuel tank seals and then last resort drop the tank and epoxy the not servicable valve in the center top that sometimes crack.
Originally Posted by ronzues
Oh I'm not going anywhere. I just meant I would leave you alone about this issue. I have done a lot of work on the car through the years and have turned to this site for much of that guidance, this is just the first issue that I have posted about.

I didn't try the vaseline yet. I did remove the gas cap, inspected the rubber gasket, removed and cleaned it thoroughly and it put it back on. It looks really good but for now I have just been gathering info and will start the process of elimination soon.

My wife's Enclave lately has been giving me problems so it has been priority.

May be coincidence but I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is under the hood because I had this code before the valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket replacement, then after putting everything back together this code was gone for 2 months or so. Now its back.

On the faint smell...here is what happened to me...I kept getting a faint smell of varying types in my cabin...I replaced the cabin filter and it helped some..to make a long story short I found when set to recirc the fresh air door was not closing..the actuator had failed...maybe you have an exhaust leak and your door is always open or the cabin filter is plugged worth a look...my daughter had a car that kept throwing evap codes...ended up being the cannister was full up over time..it was heavy when I took it out and replaced it..new cannister solved the problem..hers had got to where it could not hold enough vapor until the purge cycle and backwashed the valve...hope some of this helps

ronzues (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

oh i'm not going anywhere. I just meant i would leave you alone about this issue. I have done a lot of work on the car through the years and have turned to this site for much of that guidance, this is just the first issue that i have posted about.

I didn't try the vaseline yet. I did remove the gas cap, inspected the rubber gasket, removed and cleaned it thoroughly and it put it back on. It looks really good but for now i have just been gathering info and will start the process of elimination soon.

My wife's enclave lately has been giving me problems so it has been priority.

May be coincidence but i have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is under the hood because i had this code before the valve cover gasket and intake manifold gasket replacement, then after putting everything back together this code was gone for 2 months or so. Now its back.

so the seal on the cap looks good but what about the filler pipe? I have seen dents from people that cant hit the hole. When i get this issue it really is parts replacement because going iover everything to try and find a leak which you never really do is just going to drive up the labor costs and usually never results in a diagnosis for the customer. We look at known areas like the tank seals and piping for gas stains etc. Past visuals you have to start somewhere and see what happens. Start with easiest to replace and cheapest.

ronzues (11-01-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
so the seal on the cap looks good but what about the filler pipe? I have seen dents from people that cant hit the hole.
​​​​​
I had to laugh after reading this. I ran into something similar on my 1948 Jeep. No evap system, obviously, but it kept leaking gas from around the cap. The tank sits under the driver's seat, with a very short integral neck angled to the side. Just a normal left turn was enough to slosh fuel up under the cap. Trying to fix the leak, I finally got suspicious after the third cap...

To check the neck's sealing surface, I used some Prussian blue dye and a particle board disc cut slightly larger than the cap. Any flat object that would fit against the neck will work. Once I checked the neck like this with dye, the dented area became very obvious. It wasn't really apparent to the naked eye.

In my defense, this was a used replacement tank I installed shortly after buying the Jeep. Blame has been properly assigned to the previous owner of the tank, not me.

Brutal (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 AM

And we just got a 06 stype in here with a p0456 and since i know where the iisues are with the tank. I sold this to extended warranty company. Had to drop the tank and show them. And yep a small crack in one of the caps on the center saddle of the tank. Tanks are no longer avail from jaguar so cleaned and sealed as i always do with these issues. I have pics but on my pc at home

Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 AM

Update on this......

I received my tag renewal notice this month so it was time to dive in and start trying to get the P0456 issue resolved.

Started by checking the codes again to make sure that was the only code I had and it was, cleared it to see if it would come back on and at roughly how many miles it would come back on. I am now at about 600 miles with no light and no P0456, went and got the emissions test done and passed it and got tags renewed. Strange.

I had cleared this code 3-4 other times in the past and it kept coming back fairly quickly. Gonna keep driving as is. I just wanted to pass emissions without spending a lot more on it than the car is worth.

Happy man!

kr98664 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 02:09 PM

^^^ count your blessing and smear a little vaseline on the gas cap seal and inspect the fill pipe for damage from a tube that couldn't find the hole.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Just in case...here’s how to replace the r/l fuel tank seals :

Question for you and a little back story....

I had the P0456 code a while back. Basically did nothing about it because it was running fine. Then one day it wasn't running fine. Had to replace the valve cover gaskets because the inner gaskets leaked oil into the plug wells. At that time I also replaced the upper intake gaskets.

When I put it all back together it ran great and bonus.....the P0456 code was gone. I have driven it for about 2 months with it running great and then yesterday out of nowhere the P0456 appears again and when having the heat on there is somewhat of a faint exhaust smell in the car. It isn't a fresh gas smell. Just a faint exhaust smell. This same smell existed too when I had this error code a while back.

I have checked the typical things that I have read on here such as a cracked canister and such by mine appears to be in good shape. On a side note....I have also had to replace the bank 1 O2 sensor twice in the last 3 moths......

I have also replaced the o-rings in the back of the intake manifold.

Car is running great! Just have to

a step by step video: