Parking Brake Caliper Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parking Brake Caliper Lines

Funny the things one learns while changing out transmission fluid:

1) Holy crap this fluid stinks!!
2) T-27 Torx Panheads have to be the worst fastener for this application.
3) Parking Brake Caliper lines can and do rub my right rear rim.

It was point #3 that was a bit unexpected.

With the car up on jack stands, and with the trans in gear (so tires spinning), to bring the fluid up to temp, I noticed an audible "whump whump whump" at regular intervals. Shut down the car, went to inspect jacks and stands - all well free and clear of tires. Started car again, put in gear, went back to the rear for a listen. Sure enough, "whumping" coming from right side. With my hand, slowly began braking of the wheel, got the right to full stop (diff kept the left moving), and could control release the wheel for slow rotation while watching and listening.

The "whump" turned out to be the wheel weight installed on the backside of the rim smacking the parking brake caliper line with every rotation!! Judging by missing weights, and significant scuffage to the line, not to mention the odd wear pattern this tire exhibits, this has been going on for some time.

Will post pics of routing once I get the wheels off.

Anyone have an idea of what proper routing looks like? Has anyone run into such an issue before?

Until I see otherwise, I'm going to assume these lines (on my car), are somehow mispositioned from their true home....

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The routing varies with the car model so you need to post year and engine etc. Best to add them to your profile

Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry.

Car up for consideration is an '03 S type R.

From what I could see without taking the wheel off, was that there did not seem to be any type of restraint - a wire form, a bracket, or even a ziptie, attempting to position the line.

'Course I could be full of crap.....

Updated. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I agree with you - ZF Fluid is by far the smelliest transmission fluid I've ever encountered. I have a 1-litre bottle sitting on my garage shelf, and I opened it to feel the consistency and smell it last autumn. I haven't opened it since....

I don't know why ZF chose to use Torx fasteners in their pan unit. It would be so much easier and far more durable with regular hex bolts, maybe 8 or 9 mm heads. To me, Torx has always been for interior parts like dashboard and console trim. Putting Torx in a heavy-duty exterior environment is just asking for trouble....

Keep us posted as you move along on the project. Good luck....