S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pats code 22

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
are they sure the car is recognizing the key in the first place?

try to reprogram the transponders
Hi, sorry for late response.

Yes, car is recognizing the key

Old 09-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I had a similar situation in consulting a locksmith to make a duplicate key. He ordered a fob, but after two tries found that he could not program it to work with my car. I bought the fob from him and went to a dealer who was able program it and it works fine. In the process I heard other horror stories regarding the security sytem on the earlier S-Types. Most locksmiths won't even take the job on because of the proprietary Jaguar software which won't work with their equipment. Wish I had some suggestions for you.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:37 AM

Hi guys.

Update, i think i metioned before that the car is no longer with the PAT code 22, after that there was a problem with lost communication with the computer, the mechanic couldn't connect to the computer. so, he was traising to se if it was ground it somewhere, en up searching everithing and was ok but he couldn't find the FC35 junction, at the end find it and also OK.

Other guy came, this one works with Jaguar cars (first one works with ford cars and had some experience with Jaguar), so, the problem now is that the Computer is not working, this is a picture of it and the codes that it has.

I have found several with the code 1R8A-12A650-DBA, but it says that is for a 2002-03 car, mine is 2001.

am i looking at the right code part?

For example, this one on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22443547624...0AAOSwB1VggcsJ

has:
NCC-201 111B PCM150
1R8A-12A650-DBA

Matching the one on my car (also the car in those ebay pictures match the color of my car too ), but again it says 2002-03.

Those this par fits my car?
Am i looking at the right numbers?

Old 10-27-2021, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

My understanding is that you cannot reprogram those to a different car, so you probably cannot use a used one (new ones are blank, known as "green", and can be programmed once in the way needed).

Clearly the above could be bypassed somehow but there is no market to do that.

Keep your existing PCM and fix whatever is wrong.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Yes PCM failure is very rare and I would send the PCM to a repair place and see if they can find a problem with it? I am not convinced that is the problem. Can you post what codes the car currently has? Fixing the PATS 22 code should be a step forward? Or does he mean his scanner can't connect to the car? Could be a wiring problem affecting the OBDII port? The car now has been disassembled a good bit which in and of itself can cause even more problems.

I have done this exact thing with my old 2005 S Type after an accident. Problem is there is a wide range of people promising these repairs and most of them don't really know what their doing. I had my PCM broken in shipping which is another hazard to consider when sending parts like these out in the mail. In the end my problem turned out to be a blown fuse which is still embarrassing to me as I thought I had checked ALL the fuses previously!

Good luck and keep posting. You will find it!

kr98664 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,999 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes PCM failure is very rare...

my problem turned out to be a blown fuse...
Yeah, I highly doubt the PCM is bad. I'd be willing to bet your reputation that the PCM is not receiving power. A quick check of the wiring diagrams shows at least three fuses and a relay on the supply side. A failure of any of those would make it appear the PCM is dead and not communicating. I'd highly suggest checking for power to the module, as seen in figure 03.3 here:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2022001en.pdf

At the PCM connector FH1, turn the key to run and check for battery voltage at contacts 32 and 33.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
My understanding is that you cannot reprogram those to a different car, so you probably cannot use a used one (new ones are blank, known as "green", and can be programmed once in the way needed).
See this Jaguar training guide, pages 1-8 through 1-10:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...es/870B_SG.pdf

Once a PCM is configured to one vehicle, it cannot be installed on another vehicle. On the exceedingly slim chance a PCM had to be replaced, you would need to install a brand new unit, not a used unit from another vehicle.

I'm not sure if this applies to later models, but that is what Jaguar said for the early models.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:54 PM

Are you guys sure about that?

Yesterday before posting i was searching youtube to see if there's a way to repair Ford or Jaguar PCM and found this videos

I'm not saying that you are wrong, belive me, i don't know anything of this. i will go right now to the workshop to be sure if the PCM is getting power. i thought the same, that it's hard to believe that a PCM is damged.

Probably it can be done and Ford did not want people to buy used PCM and buy new ones from them, Or problably it's true that it can't be exchange .

I'll will check if it's getting power and let you guys know what i found.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-27-2021, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Just be careful as while Ford and Jaguar were combined in the past they are not now. A dead common GM or Ford product yes you can do this and whole lot more. These systems have long since been broken down and hacked. You can program almost anything and everything with the right software. Jaguar is a very tiny slice of the market and we don't have hundreds or thousands of guys modifying and tuning these cars.

Is it possible? Yes of course if you put enough time and money into it. I have actually un-sodered individual chips and moved them to a new module so the car does not know anything was changed. But how do you find what chip does what? Lots of trial and error or some insider to the company giving you the keys to the kingdom. It's just software and it ALWAYS has a back door somewhere! But can YOU find it??

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
kr98664 (10-27-2021), S-Type Owner (10-28-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
See this Jaguar training guide, pages 1-8 through 1-10:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...es/870B_SG.pdf

Once a PCM is configured to one vehicle, it cannot be installed on another vehicle. On the exceedingly slim chance a PCM had to be replaced, you would need to install a brand new unit, not a used unit from another vehicle.

I'm not sure if this applies to later models, but that is what Jaguar said for the early models.
It's my understanding it does NOT apply to later models (which use a Denso PCM).

Old 10-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 846 Posts

you can’t do that trick with jaguar ids

if you have a ptec car you are screwed, they are the only ones that need a virgin pcm. buy a pcm cluster keys and ignition from a donor.

with later s-types a used pcm swap is no problem

Last edited by xalty; 10-27-2021 at 04:00 PM.
kr98664 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Where to start? That guy may know Ford trucks/cars with overheat problems but your Jaguar hasn't got any sign of such and they're vanishingly rare (try Search and see).

You won't be able to run the sequence he shows. It's also not appropriate.

You would be far wiser to figure out the reason for the PATS code you have & fix it.

Bear in mind that if you attach a used PCM your car will go into anti-theft so have a plan for what to do next. It won't be easy.

kr98664 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Where to start? That guy may know Ford trucks/cars with overheat problems but your Jaguar hasn't got any sign of such and they're vanishingly rare (try Search and see).

You won't be able to run the sequence he shows. It's also not appropriate.

You would be far wiser to figure out the reason for the PATS code you have & fix it.

Bear in mind that if you attach a used PCM your car will go into anti-theft so have a plan for what to do next. It won't be easy.
cluster pcm keys ignition are all you need to swap a ptec car

if it’s not water damaged his pcm is probably good regardless

Old 10-27-2021, 09:45 PM

I will try tomorrow to check if is sending power to the PCM. Didn't have time today to go to the workshop.

Before doing anything I will consult here first.

Thanks guys

Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
cluster pcm keys ignition are all you need to swap a ptec car
Interesting, but it makes sense this could be done. If you've swapped over the set of modules, when a scanner is connected, would the VIN would display the donor car?

1) Is it plug and play, or is some programming still required? I ask because many of us, self included, do not have any of the programing equipment.

2) What about registering such a car, especially if emissions testing is required? In most locales requiring emissions testing, the test center hooks up a scanner to the OBD diagnostic port. It is a very simple process, only takes a minute or two. At my local testing center, a large wall-mounted screen displays your vehicle's information as data is retrieved. One parameter displayed is the VIN, and the guy compares it to the tag on the dash and the sticker on the door jamb. I'm almost positive the car would be failed if the VIN didn't match, and possibly considered as either stolen or a reconstructed wreck. I can't imagine the hoops you'd be expected to jump through to resolve the mismatch to the satisfaction of some bureaucrat.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Yes that is EXACTLY the problem. Your have changed the VIN of the car and it no longer matches the door sticker. Tread VERY carefully as you most likely will end up with a car that can't be registered. Now if you are in an area that does not use the automated scanner to retrieve car data you probably will be OK.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:54 AM

Yes that is EXACTLY the problem. Your have changed the VIN of the car and it no longer matches the door sticker. Tread VERY carefully as you most likely will end up with a car that can't be registered. Now if you are in an area that does not use the automated scanner to retrieve car data you probably will be OK.
Dominican Republic , is like heaven on earth lol.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

nobody checks vin. even cali will let it slide if you explain it

Last edited by xalty; 10-28-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

It would display the donor's VIN.

Old 10-29-2021, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

How can they let it slide? This would a perfect way to steal cars. I can't see any state overlooking VIN problems unless you show up with a signed statement of some kind? Even odometer readings have to be verified and I did not even mention that because whatever the odometer reads on the donor car will also be transferred to your car. Great way to roll back the odometer just like the bad old days!! Many, many laws have been passed to stop exactly this sort of thing.

I have worked with kit or home built cars a good bit and the mess you have to go thru to get a VIN assigned to the car is terrible. I have a 1959 Thunderbird that I removed the data plate to paint the car. That is completely illegal in most states and finding the correct factory rivets to reattach it is not easy. Had to get the car inspected by the state police before registration and he pretty much accused me of car theft. I finally convinced him that why would I steal a worthless car like a 1959 Thunderbird? Wouldn't it make more sense for me to risk legal problems by at least stealing something worth a lot?? He was not happy but passed the car and I got my tag.

Quick Reply: Pats code 22