S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pats code 22

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pats code 22

Hey guys. Previously I mention in an update in other thread that suddenly the car Stopped starting, no crank, etc. Had checked the key and the chip in the key is working, fuse all working on the passenger side box, non burn. I thought that Probably the ignition key barrel switch security transceiver is not working. But as the light from the PATS started flashing I watch for the code. From what I can see is code #22, but can't find what this means or if there's something to change, damaged, disconnect or blown out.

Also, the Horn stopped working at the same time, and got this two messages displayed on the cluster "Failed side repeaters" and "failed front indicators". Don't know if this is related to the first problem or is something different that I need to check.

Thanks for any help!!

​​​

Old 03-30-2021, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,147 Likes on 671 Posts

For what I know of the PATS system if the little security light flashes rapidly at you. You're screwed. Take it to a dealer, have it towed etc. as The security system has locked up for some reason. Even though it is a Ford system, It is a Jaguar built car, and will Have Jaguar Proprietary software. Same thing with my Sons Mazda 5. Had to put it on a trailer and take it to a "Mazda Dealer" to have security system unlocked and a new key programmed to it. As my Local Ford dealer couldn't do it, as it was a Mazda Built Vehicle! It will have to be done by a dealer, or someone who has access to their brands software. Sorry I just went through this last week with the Mazda. PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) Sucks!!!!! I've dealt with this system twice, and I got screwed hard both times. Wish I had better news for you.

Jack

Old 03-30-2021, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,257 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Hi Eric - Glad to see someone from the Dominican Republic with a Jaguar!
You will need to use the Jaguar diagnostic software (WDS) to work on this. If you don't have it then yes as posted above a dealer will be your only other option.
But code 22 looks like it happens when the instrument cluster has been replaced? Have you done any work to that?

See if the attached will help even though it's for the 2003 and up S Type? It might help your dealer too.

Attached Files
Old 03-31-2021, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

www.jagrepair.com/images/IntroToJaguar/INTR Manual-10-3-02.pdf

at about paage 230 shows PATS 22 for the early cars as
PCM ID not in instrument pack non-volatile memory

(There's also an SRS code 22 in case it's not PATS that's flashing.)

Last edited by JagV8; 03-31-2021 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 AM
Received 7,898 Likes on 4,771 Posts

This is the PATS diagnostic chart page for the X200 from my student guide.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PATS_Diagnostics.pdf (886.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 04-01-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for correcting me! I knew it would be different for the earlier S Types. Sorry for the wrong information.

Please post back how you fixed so others can see your solution.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
at about page 230 shows PATS 22 for the early cars as
Have you done anything to the instrument cluster? The cluster needs VIN-specific programming, but once done, this magic should last forever. Such programming is not something that's likely to inadvertently be erased. Makes me wonder if the cluster was replaced or it was disassembled for some reason.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hi Eric - Glad to see someone from the Dominican Republic with a Jaguar!
You will need to use the Jaguar diagnostic software (WDS) to work on this. If you don't have it then yes as posted above a dealer will be your only other option.
But code 22 looks like it happens when the instrument cluster has been replaced? Have you done any work to that?

See if the attached will help even though it's for the 2003 and up S Type? It might help your dealer too
Thanks!! From Puerto Plata, North coast

Can I install that software on a laptop? If so, what do I need to run it on the car?

I haven't done any work on the instrument cluster, and never heard or remember my dad changing or working on the instrument cluster either.

Originally Posted by JagV8
www.jagrepair.com/images/IntroToJaguar/INTR Manual-10-3-02.pdf

at about paage 230 shows PATS 22 for the early cars as

(There's also an SRS code 22 in case it's not PATS that's flashing.)
The PCM works together with the instrument cluster?

Originally Posted by motorcarman
This is the PATS diagnostic chart page for the X200 from my student guide.
Thanks!!! This is the one that I need then.
Reprogramming will solve the problem?

Please post back how you fixed so others can see your solution.
I will, Don't worry.

Originally Posted by kr98664
Have you done anything to the instrument cluster? The cluster needs VIN-specific programming, but once done, this magic should last forever. Such programming is not something that's likely to inadvertently be erased. Makes me wonder if the cluster was replaced or it was disassembled for some reason.
No, I didn't change or work on the instrument cluster, neither my dad. The car worked since 2001 until more or less 2015 when my dad stopped using it, he passed away last November. Since January my mechanic and i worked on the car in his workshop, I took it to my home last month driving on it. After that never took the car out because I was waiting for some parts to arrive from USA. Every two days I started the car for one and a half week without moving the car (was waiting for the parts), one day the car didn't start and the PATS started flashing.

Last edited by e_brugal; 04-01-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Any chance the code is something other than 22? Still wondering how that code basically showed up out of nowhere. Can't think of anything you've done to cause it.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:48 PM
Received 7,898 Likes on 4,771 Posts

I have seen 6 month old cars coming back into the dealer for 'no-start' after the family got back from vacation to find chewed wiring. (RAT DAMAGE)
They wanted Jaguar to pay for the repairs because the car was still in new car factory warranty.

Warranty refused so the home owner policy took over I guess?

Check for damaged wiring as a possible cause for your problems?

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
89 Jacobra (04-02-2021), kr98664 (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:46 PM

Any chance the code is something other than 22? Still wondering how that code basically showed up out of nowhere. Can't think of anything you've done to cause it.
Yesterday I took a video of the PATS light (sunny day and couldn't see the light), let me know if you want me to upload it

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have seen 6 month old cars coming back into the dealer for 'no-start' after the family got back from vacation to find chewed wiring. (RAT DAMAGE)
They wanted Jaguar to pay for the repairs because the car was still in new car factory warranty.

Warranty refused so the home owner policy took over I guess?

Check for damaged wiring as a possible cause for your problems?
I will try to check that

Last edited by e_brugal; 04-02-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:22 PM

Hi, this is a recording of the flashing PATS light, if someone can watch it and see if it's another code and not code 22.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ecfcq...91959.mp4/file

Thanks

Old 04-11-2021, 03:54 PM

Update: tomorrow will come to check the car my mechanic and a locksmith that works on Jaguar's cars and have the equipment.

Does anyone had the chance to watch the video?

Old 04-12-2021, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by e_brugal
Does anyone had the chance to watch the video?
Sorry, no can do. To view the video, it must be downloaded first. The anti-virus protection on my computer goes to Defcon 4 if I even think about it. I suspect most forum members encounter a similar issue.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (04-12-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:32 AM

Update: the locksmith checked and there's no communication between the ignition key barrel switch security transceiver and the instrument cluster. The transceiver isn't sending signal, today they will take out the transceiver.

kr98664 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Some progress but does he have SDD? I really think with the trouble you have SDD will be required or at least it will narrow down the problem.
Lets hope it's a simple key switch transceiver gone bad. Maybe that's the root of your troubles?

Old 04-14-2021, 09:39 PM

Some progress but does he have SDD? I really think with the trouble you have SDD will be required or at least it will narrow down the problem.
Lets hope it's a simple key switch transceiver gone bad. Maybe that's the root of your troubles?
Yes he does.

I hope too, I'm anxious to See this car finish and take my mom for a ride in the car like my dad used to, I know she will be very happy to see the car running again. I haven't told her the stage I'm in with the car.

Tomorrow the looksmith will install a new transceiver.

Last edited by e_brugal; 04-15-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by e_brugal
Tomorrow the looksmith will install a new transceiver.
Any updates? The suspense is killing me.

I've been trying to locate an older thread that may help, but I can't find it. The little electronic chip in the head of the key had fallen out, a little dookickey maybe the size of a small bean. If missing, you'd have a small hole open in the head of the key. I don't remember all of the exact details, so maybe the symptoms were different and didn't generate a code 22. And hopefully your locksmith would have checked for that right off the bat, but who knows.

In this picture, the pen is pointing to the location of the magic chip:

Old 04-17-2021, 08:33 AM

Any updates? The suspense is killing me.
lol I know how you feel. Yesterday the locksmith came to change the transceiver but he took the wrong one from his desk ​​​​​​. I went out from the city for the weekend. So, will restart on Monday.

I've been trying to locate an older thread that may help, but I can't find it. The little electronic chip in the head of the key had fallen out, a little dookickey maybe the size of a small bean. If missing, you'd have a small hole open in the head of the key. I don't remember all of the exact details, so maybe the symptoms were different and didn't generate a code 22. And hopefully your locksmith would have checked for that right off the bat, but who knows.

In this picture, the pen is pointing to the location of the magic chip:
No open hole, chip is inside and working, 1st thing the locksmith checked

Last edited by e_brugal; 04-17-2021 at 08:35 AM.
kr98664 (04-17-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 07:07 PM

Not so good update: Finally got the locksmith to work in the car with the new transceiver, bad news is that this transceiver isn't reading the key either, so, back to 0.

Tomorrow will come the mechanic to see if it's an electrical problem, if the transceiver is getting electricity, or what the heck is happening. The only thing I'm sure is that all the fuses are working.

I hope that I don't have to change the cluster

Quick Reply: Pats code 22