S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random CATS System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Random CATS System Fault

So nothing that has previously been posted on thhis topic fits my particular situation and wanted to know if anyone has had this happen or knows what the heck is going on.

Im in upsate NY for a wedding wknd and have been really enjoying these "country" roads, long, curvy etc. Its been great seeing as i can let my "spirited" driving side loose. Anyways, was driving all day yesterday, no problems, eventually went to downtown Saratoga that evening, shut the car off and BAM "CATS Sytem Fault" Now this happened when i shut the car off, and did not come on while I was driving. I was pissed. Came out of the bars to go home (yes I was the DD), and it was gone. The 25 minute ride home, nothing. We pull into her parents driveway, I shut the car off, and it comes on again. Fast forward to this morning....

I get in the car, no lights, no warnings. I drove to a Mobil Station, and shut the car down again, same fault comes on. I came back out 2 minutes later and it was still on. I drove back home with the fault on, and it seemed to default to the "firm" setting, dont know if thats possible? Felt like I was driving a Vette. Well i know if I let it sit for a bit when I get back in there will be no codes, and it wont come on until i shut the car down again, so im wondering if i should head over to the Jag dealer. I guess there is one 25 minutes away.

I am assuming it is not a "true' fault seeing as it is driving fine when I start it up and only throws the light on when I shut the car down. Anyone have any freaking idea whats going on here???? Thanks guys

Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I don't know why it occurs - but I'd like to.

Have I understood properly - the message comes up after you've turned off the ignition but I guess before you've taken the key out of the lock?

I think you must mean you've no OBD scanner/reader.

You could disconnect the battery but I wouldn't, as it will erase lots of data.

Try to stop the dealer from clearing the codes as it erases all the data, too. At least try to get out lots of things first - not just any codes (OBD mode 3) but also the data at the time the code(s) occurred (OBD freeze frame, mode 2), any pending codes (mode 7), the readiness status (part of mode 1) and then the other emissions etc stuff (modes 5, 6, 8 etc).

If they use IDS or the like it probably doesn't use OBD terminology and if used competently has even more data (Jag-specific) it can pull.

Some of the OBD tools can save data (e.g. as csv or xls for spreadsheets etc). Some can record it as you drive around. No idea about IDS, as it's not too accessible outside dealers. I can point you to a (legit) download site if you want to see if it will install and you can make any sense of it but it needs a special lead (VCM?) so you can't actually use it. I gave up at that point due to cost/availability.

They may not use IDS as there are lots of other dealer tools (i.e. expensive but fully-featured).

You may be seeing something similar to what BugDoc has (P0420). I think that one shows itself at a different time, though.

If you've a friend with an OBD tool, it may well work on the STR (you can do a lot using its ISO9141-2 aka K line without having to use a CAN device).

(For the technically inclined, I mean OBD II aka OBD2.)

Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Before going to the dealer, have a hunt around the O2 sensors if you can to make sure no damage, chafed wires etc, and a hunt round engine bay for anything suspicious. Also, have a think whether you've done anything differently to usual. I suppose you've probably bought fuel where you typically wouldn't. Maybe it's that (bit unlikely, I guess).

Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 PM

I sucked it up and went to the dealer, actually in waiting area right now. Will update after they tell me what the codes are. Strangely, they informed me of a J004 Recall that needs to be performed. I guess this is a transmission and ECM reset/reprogramming.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

I'd appreciate details of the recall if you can get them. Mine's an 04 STR so could well also be affected.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

The J004 recall is primarily an emissions adjustment via ECM reflash. Some owners say that it also seemed to improve their ZF transmission shift quality although our service manager told me that no firmware within the transmission was being affected by the J004 reflash. Our S-Type had the J004 recall reflash performed a little over two months ago. No discernable difference in transmission behavior. Our ZF has been very solid, though. No classic "lurch" issues, no whine, no hard banging after engaging the throttle after a near-stop, no problems. Of course now that I've said that, it will come back to haunt me....

Why doesn't Jaguar Corporate take the initiative to notify owners of this recall? Rather than sending out a letter, post card, or even an e-mail, they wait for the owner to call in to the toll-free Customer Assistance line or else visit their local dealership and discover this recall in a roundabout manner with the service department. I'm all for controlling costs in these tough economic times, but when there's a recall, the company should take the initiative to contact their owners, not wait for the owners to find out on their own. This slack approach from Jaguar Corporate has caused me to note on my calendar every 60 days or so to call Jaguar Corporate to ask if there are any new recalls on our particular car. We owners shouldn't have to do this....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-31-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Jon89 - thanks. Sadly (some? many?) other car makers also don't do what clearly you (and also I) think they should. A "recall" surely should mean the car's recalled!

On the other hand...... Jaguar don't know I own the car I have. I've not had it very long and haven't actually told them. Ahem.

I gather that some recalls for emissions only apply to certain parts of the world. And some only apply to certain parts of America (California, in particular, as they have their own variant of OBD, tolerated by federal law).

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM

I think I'm screwed...

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

What did they find?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Not having a good car weekend. A trip to the NY Jag dealer and $113 bucks later this is their quick diagnosis. They said they would need it for more time to do PIDS, or something to find out the exact culprit:

44060 WILL NEED FURTHER TIME FOR DIAG NOTED WHEN PULLED VEHICLE IN DSC AND CATS FAULT MESSAGE WERE ON IN INSTRAMENT CLUSTER CHECKED FAULT MEMORY HAD U2533 CAN MESSAGE MISSING FROM ECM AND U2522 CAN MESSAGE MISSING FROM TCM IN ABS MODULE ALSO HAD U1341 IN ACTIVE DYNAMIC RIDE CONTROL MODULE SCP INVALID MISSING DATA FOR FUNCTION READ VEHICLE SPEED. CHECKED CONNECTION AT ABS MODULE OK AT THIS TIME CHECKED CONNECTION AT ADRC MODULE FOUND CONNECTION OK BUT WATER IN BOTTOM OF TRUNK WILL NEED FUTHER TIME TO FIND WHERE C.A.N AND SCP NETWORK COMMUNICATION IS DOWN, CLEARED FAULT MEMORY FAULT CAME BACK PERFORMED HARD RESET FAULT STILL PRESENT.

Sooooooooo, make any sense to anyone? Once the car goes into sleep mode and i start it up, no codes, and the codes dont come back until I shut the car off. i really dont want to pay Jag in Mass $105/hr for multiple hrs just to find out what is going on. On top of everything there is moisture in my top section of my rear taillight....Sweet.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
I don't know why it occurs - but I'd like to....

You may be seeing something similar to what BugDoc has (P0420). I think that one shows itself at a different time, though.
JagV8 - Yes. Mine comes on with the engine running, usually 50-70 mph.

Bull27 - Water in the trunk/computer does not sound very good. Sorry man! It could jsut be a short circuit sending the signal. Once they get the system dried out, hopefully they will be able to get things back online correctly.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

"Water in the bottom of the trunk" caught my eye immediately. This problem can play havoc with the car's electronics and may prove to be the source of this particular issue. The Master Techs at our local dealership have told me several stories during the past few months of difficult problems they've had to resolve in various S-Types as a result of water in the trunk. I listened to these stories and started checking the trunk every weekend as a part of checking the oil/fluids/tire pressures, but when I was in for our S-Type's final factory warranty service about three weeks ago, they found that our trunk seals were allowing a small amount of moisture into the trunk so they removed, cleaned, and re-glued all the seals. I'll have to check it more carefully from now on. The S-Type line-up has had a problem with leaking trunk seals since it was reintroduced in 1999, and Jaguar thought they had figured it out and resolved the problem by the 2005 rear-end redesign. While Jaguar may have drastically reduced the tendency for the trunk seals to leak, it remains a potential problem all the way through the final 2008 model year. So check those trunks and trunk seals on a regular basis, folks, particularly during the rainy season....

I have learned that there are two definite places in this car where water should never be allowed to enter:
1. The throttle body
2. The trunk

Moisture in your taillight lens is not a good thing, either. Is it cracked, or have the lens seals been compromised somehow?

Last edited by Jon89; 08-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Earlier cars had problems with water ingress to the trunk due to a sealing problem (I don't recall where but yours could be a slightly different place). You should be able to search and find details (also try www.jaguarforum.co.uk but be aware trunk is boot in England). You need to find and fix the leak.

The tail light may be a clue as to where it goes rather than where it came from or it may be a separate problem.

There are important modules in the trunk. You need to find a way to gently dry them out (and the entire trunk). You and/or people who understand your climate may have ideas. You may also need to disconnect connectors and dry them also. You need to worry as to whether cables/harnesses have been affected by corrosion.

If you take care you probably can do this yourself - but read up on others who have had this problem.

An auto-electrcian would likely be a cheaper but not cheap alternative.

Those errors show the various modules have had problems communicating. You can see which is connected to which if you refer to the electrical diagrams, specifically the Network Configuration page.

Modern electronics hates damp or water

You need to find whether the (rear, in this case) fuse box is affected. On other cars when it has been, a new fuse box was almost always needed but I have no data for the Jag (STR or any other).

I hope others will help.

Oh - maybe you have a warranty? It may cover this sort of fault.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM

Very hot and dry today, no fault codes when I turn vehicle off, nothing.. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the trunk needs to be re-sealed or whatever. I would like 105 bucks an hour for a diagnosis I came up with while drinking beers at Saratoga Race Track. I'm in the wrong biz.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Does anyone know if there are any relevent TSB's for model year 2005 RE: Water leaking in the trunk and/or electrical faults that are directly related?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Brought it to the Jag dealer today, now Im driving around in a bright blue Dodge Nitro.........YUCK. Master Tech is going to tackle it tommorow. Still some water in the trunk underneath the spare tire. The CATS fault hasnt come on since the rain has ended, BUT my radio defaults to mute sometimes and CDC doesnt show up when I switch radio modes until I restart the vehicle, and my backup sensors arent working. I love the fact that a crap load of modules and electronics are right there in the trunk, especially when they are prone to leaking. I REALLY hope there isnt any permanent damage done by the water, hoping that a trunk re-seal is the diagnosis and fix. Crossing my fingers........Until then Ill be ballin in my Dodge Nitro

Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Seeing as it seems like I am writing to myself on this topic, I figured I would continue for the benefit of anyone that runs into this problem....Bottom line is make sure there is NOOOO water getting into your trunk. Just got the dreaded call from the service manager and this is what they came up with:

1) Rt. corner of trunk by the glass is raised a tad and that is where the water is leaking from. They are adjusting the trunk and ordering a new seal.
2) The water almost caused my amplifier to die, he luckily was able to clean the connections and salvage it. That hopefully fixes the random times the radio is muted by itself.
3) He found a ground wire just dangling there..dont know if this caused anything, but he reattached.

AND the main event:

4) They say I need a new CATS and Reverse Park Aid Module, ($1075 and $500 respectively). I told him NOT to touch those. Seeing as the CATS faults have gone away since it has been dry, I am hoping that the re-seal of the trunk will keep that fault from happening again even though they said they got the fault today while testing it. In regards to the Reverse Park Aid module, I can live without it for now. I am assuming if I do decide to replace the CATS module and Park Aid module, I can order online myself and have someone else install for a fraction of the cost the dealer would do it for.

Thoughts....?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

You're not writing to yourself.

Possibly one or both modules is still damp. Drying them out gently and thoroughly may work.

Possibly one or both has corrosion. Carefully disassembling if you're up to that may reveal whether they are and they may be fixable.

But - very possibly you have one or more damp or corroded connectors in which case they are fixable.

You could have a damp or corroded fuse box. Nightmare if so. Hope not.

You could have a combination of the above but let's hope not!

I wouldn't let them try to find or fix any of those but that's because their costs are likely large and besides if it were my car I'd have a go myself.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
You're not writing to yourself.

Possibly one or both modules is still damp. Drying them out gently and thoroughly may work.

Possibly one or both has corrosion. Carefully disassembling if you're up to that may reveal whether they are and they may be fixable.

But - very possibly you have one or more damp or corroded connectors in which case they are fixable.

You could have a damp or corroded fuse box. Nightmare if so. Hope not.

You could have a combination of the above but let's hope not!

I wouldn't let them try to find or fix any of those but that's because their costs are likely large and besides if it were my car I'd have a go myself.
Thanks for the reply, how can you tell if they are "fixable". Seeing as there has been water in the trunk up until yesterday, I am assuming they havent dried out completely. Do these modules just short out-end of ballgame, or can they possibly come back to life after they dry out (like a cell phone). I am hoping the latter. Again, thanks for the input.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

You are definitely not just writing to yourself. Anyone owning an S-Type should be following this thread very closely. Water in the engine bay and water in the trunk can be Jag-killers, as some of us know from personal experience (the infamous Limp Home Mode episode). I've learned to pay close attention to my hood seals and trunk seals. Inspecting and cleaning them has become a weekend ritual just like checking the fluid levels and tire pressure....

My guess is that in most cases, once the modules short out from water exposure, they are toast....

Quick Reply: Random CATS System Fault