S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Parking Sensor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Rear Parking Sensor Removal

I had my S-type R washed at my local hand car wash on Monday who happened to use a very powerful jet wash. Unfortunately since then, whenever reverse gear is engaged I get a beep which lasts for approximately 3 seconds and then goes silent regardless of how close I am to the object or car behind.

At first I thought that this problem would go away on its own as the rear parking sensors on my old V6 S-type would also not work for a few hours immediately after washing. However, it has now been two days and the problem persists. After doing some very informative reading on this forum I went out and checked the sensors by putting the ignition in position II and engaging reverse. I then put my ear against each of the four sensors and found three of them to be clicking rapidly. The RH Centre sensor however was silent. I also checked the parking aid module in the boot which seemed fine.

I wanted to find out if I could fix this problem by simply removing the sensor in question, drying it and putting it back in, or whether I would require a new sensor? In any case, I would appreciate any advice on how I can remove the rear sensor which seems to be quite inaccessible in the S-type. Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

You've Got To Remove The Bumper.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks for your reply onesicjag, fortunately we had a very hot afternoon in South Wales today which must've dried up the damp sensor from the jetwash. I also gave the sensor in question a light knock which may have released the water. I got in the car earlier today and to my pleasant surprise they're working perfectly again . No warning tone when engaging reverse and the sensors were beeping faster as I neared the car behind. Great to have them back on such a fantastic car

Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM

No problem, anytime. For future reference if this happens again or to anyone else you do not need to remove the bumper. You can remove the tail lights which is faster and easier. I figured this out today after I removed my tail lights. You can easily remove the outer parking sensor because it's right under the tail light.. however the inner parking sensors are a little harder to get to. If your arm doesn't fit just get some kid to do it, worked for me.

The following users liked this post:
hawkaye (04-18-2019)
Old 08-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Great thinking onesicjag. Thanks for saving me and other members the hassle and cost of removing the rear bumper if the inner sensors do stop working again in the future. I looked endlessly for the answer to this question on this forum and others and it's great to know that the inner parking sensors can be replaced without the removal of the rear bumper, albeit with the help of a child!

The following users liked this post:
ONEsicJAG (08-02-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm having a similar problem intermittently. When you say remove the tail light(s), do you mean both? Did you happen to take photo's at the time when you performed this action?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Docuzzie
I'm having a similar problem intermittently. When you say remove the tail light(s), do you mean both? Did you happen to take photo's at the time when you performed this action?
No Pics.. I Removed Both My
Tail Lights, To Check For Leaks And Do A Thorough Cleaning. You Would Only Need To Remove The Light Closest To The Affected Sensor. I Did This To My 03..The 05 And Up May Not Have The Same Access.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

When you say both your tail lights, are you speaking of from the interior, meaning pulling back the carpet, removing the bulbs and the entire assembly and reaching down into the cavern below so to speak, or are you saying removing the exterior facing red panels etc that illuminate when the lights are on or brakes are pressed?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM

I started by removing the carpet then the circuit board that holds the bulbs. I then removed the whole tail light housing from the back of the car. Once you remove the circuit board to get the tail light housing out, you will see the void where you can reach the sensors.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
JPB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced 2 rear parking sensors. It took me 4 hours.
Many thanks to the person who shared the diagnostic method for identifying defective sensors and to those who shared the workshop manual.