S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window shade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window shade

Does anyone have any experience with the rear window shade? Ours appears to be stuck. Motor works, it won't come up.

Thanks, Chris

Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same problem with my rear shade when I bought my S type. The actual problem is the rear deck that surrounds the shade. Try pushing down all around the opening. My decking was catching the shade, preventing it from coming up. On mine, I pushed down and away from the opening on the back side (towards the rear of the car). After you do that, have someone push the button while you pull up on the shade. It should hopefully work for you. I had to do that a few times until it finally worked every time.

Let me know how you make out!

Rob

The following 3 users liked this post by Spitfire:
bealzabubba (11-29-2020), kiwipom (12-04-2014), thep (03-13-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone have a pic of this rear window shade?? I am assuming it was an option? I certainly dont think I have one, but my ridiculously dark tint does the job.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
I had the same problem with my rear shade when I bought my S type. The actual problem is the rear deck that surrounds the shade. Try pushing down all around the opening. My decking was catching the shade, preventing it from coming up. On mine, I pushed down and away from the opening on the back side (towards the rear of the car). After you do that, have someone push the button while you pull up on the shade. It should hopefully work for you. I had to do that a few times until it finally worked every time.

Let me know how you make out!

Rob
youre correct, but just pull the shade up alittle to free it

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM

@Bull27 - My Jag is in storage so I can't get at it easily to take a pic of the rear window shade. I thought "That should be a quick find on google for a pic." Boy was I wrong! I can't seem to find a picture of one anywhere. Weird.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Bull,

It came as part of the VDP package at least in 2006, i wish they had it in more of them, especially with the side-windows (rare option on XJs) as well.

Basically a power fold up rear sunshade, with that perforated webbing material. I had it in my 7 Series BMW, and it was kind of cool, gave a different feel that window tints. The 7 series also had snap in shades for the rear side windows.

I have my window tinted to the point that between that and the tint I probably couldn't see a damn thing out of the back of the car LOL.

Take care,

George

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Rob, We were afraid to pull on it, and you were right the decking had shifted. I'll take a picture of the rear window shade and try to post it as soon as I get a chance. Since we just bought the car, we haven't needed to use yet, but it seems to be a good thing when its hot, besides it's kind of cool!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

if youre afraid to pull it up (like I do all the time to unstick them) Then youll never want to take a door panel off

Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Thank you Rob, We were afraid to pull on it, and you were right the decking had shifted.
Excellent! Glad it worked out for you.

It came as part of the VDP package at least in 2006
I haven't done much research myself as to which S-types the rear shade was available in. I just assumed it was an option in all the S-types. Mines a '04 4.2L V8 - someone who saw my car felt it was the sport model, but I haven't the foggiest on how to determine if it is.

I love my rear shade. I find it to be a real classy look in my jag. I also went and purchased the side window shades that fit perfectly in the window - got them off ebay for $5!

But despite the rear shade, I'm taking her in to a shop in the spring to have tinting added to my windows.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My S-Type was built in 1999 and came fitted with a rear window shade. Unfortunately by the time I took ownership of it the shade had been removed.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Excellent! Glad it worked out for you.

I haven't done much research myself as to which S-types the rear shade was available in. I just assumed it was an option in all the S-types. Mines a '04 4.2L V8 - someone who saw my car felt it was the sport model, but I haven't the foggiest on how to determine if it is.

I love my rear shade. I find it to be a real classy look in my jag. I also went and purchased the side window shades that fit perfectly in the window - got them off ebay for $5!

But despite the rear shade, I'm taking her in to a shop in the spring to have tinting added to my windows.
Do you have a pic of this stuff? I'd be very curious to see what it looks like.

It seems that not many USA market cars came with this stuff, but it was more common in the ROW market.

Take care,

George

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM

PIC PLEASEEEEE

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Noone has a pic of the window shade? Okay, when I get home I`ll do it. Was standard on the R I think....

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Noone has a pic of the window shade? Okay, when I get home I`ll do it. Was standard on the R I think....
Not for the USA market it wasn't

Take care,

George

Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Not on my R, either.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Not for the USA market it wasn't

Take care,

George
That is HORSE CRAP....damn canucks and brits

Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed it when I first bought the car, it was stuck, what I did was i just gave it a small pull around the edges to give it some play and had a friend push the button at the same time and thats it, never had a problem since, My 07' STR came with it since my STR is the "luxury package High Line". I have limo tints but still use it when trucks are at a higher level with them annoying cheap HID lights

Ill take a pic for you guys if anyone is curious on how it looks like.

Its not standard on STR's and yes it came out in the US market.

Just to make sure guys are we talking about the screen going up and down on the back windshield/behind the rear seats? correct me if I am wrong please.

Last edited by Glockjag; 02-23-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Totally forgot about this damnit. I promise that I will do it tonight.

Perhaps it`s like the headlight washers and only came standard on Brit and Canuck cars.....

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
That is HORSE CRAP....damn canucks and brits
Cause it makes perfect sense to include it on those climates that get blazed with sun such as Canada and the UK (insert eye roll here).

I think the euro market gets a lot more options, because their cars don't come with option packages.

I remember ordering a BMW from the factory in Germany with my late father who lived in Greece. Everything was a option, ala carte.

The car stared out with cloth seats, roll up windows, no a/c and no radio.

Then you went down the line and checked off everything you wanted (and watched the price grow accordingly). There wasn't check this box if you want the luxury package, this one if you want the premium package, or this one if you want the sport package and that's it. And if you wanted one feature from the package you had to order the rest like you do here.

I havent bought a car in europe in 15 years, but I wonder if it's the same way there now.

Take care,

George

Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Cause it makes perfect sense to include it on those climates that get blazed with sun such as Canada and the UK (insert eye roll here).

I think the euro market gets a lot more options, because their cars don't come with option packages.
We are better looking and often need to hide our blinding gorgeousness behind shades lest we cause many a traffic accident.

Quick Reply: Rear window shade