Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type Diesel Dual Climate Heater Control Valve - Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default S-Type Diesel Dual Climate Heater Control Valve - Tips

Hello All.

I'm not a brand new member but don't seen to be able to post in other areas, hopefully an administrator may be able to move this post to the appropriate location (& advise me why I cannot post elsewhere).

Just wanted to share a little recent experience regarding heater control valves for the climate control system on S-types and other similar sized jags - but specifically the S-Type 2.7D.

1. The valve on the 2.7D is located under the front bumper, to the left of the radiator if you are stood looking at the front of the car (Drivers side for all RHD cars).

2. You need to remove the black plastic cover that attaches directly to the bumper in order to access it. You don't need to completely remove it - if you like you can just peel it back half way (be careful not to damage it however!) then the valve is easily accessible.

3. And this is my top tip - FULLY CHECK THE CONNECTOR PLUG BEFORE DOING ANY WORK. My shortfall was having a quick look see, deciding that all was in order then buying a new valve. It was only when I came to change the valve out did I realise that one of the wires had actually snapped off at the connector. Fail!

4. Changing the valve isn't overly difficult, you will need pipe grips to remove the pipe clamps and will obviously loose some coolant, but aside from that you need to remove the 5 off pipes (best to mark them up 1st so you put them back in the same order) then take out the one bolt holding the bracket into the chassis. Oh, & don't forget to remove the wiring plug! Once you have refitted the valve you will need to top up the coolant system and bleed it. I added approx 7 litres to my system after fitting so you clearly won't loose all of it.

5. The valve is a 5 pipe valve & I am reliably informed that all the 5 pipe valves are the same (both petrol and diesel) - only thing that is different is the mounting bracket, but you can easily swap this out for your existing one. If you are in the UK, there are various ebay offers for new valves at approx £95 - dealer cost is £260!

6. If like me, you have a dodgy connector & need to replace it, do not stress. I was concerned that I would have to find one off another S-Type and that it may come with the same corrosion issues as my car. However, the connector is exactly the same as that fitted to a Ford Focus master cylinder! There are 100s of these in every scrap yard and as the master cylinder is rarely removed from the car when the engine is removed, the supply far outstrips the demand. Wire colours are slightly different but if you are bright enough to consider changing out this valve I'd expect that you are capable of getting 3 wires in the correct order.

I ended up fitting the new valve anyway as I had already purchased it and the supplier had made it clear he wasn't keen on returns! So if anyone wants to purchase a very cheap 2nd hand valve & is located in the UK, please let me know!!

The aircon is now ice cold & all is working as it should so the wife is happy again.

Hope this post will help someone with similar climate control issues.

Cheers,

Andy

The following 4 users liked this post by AndyL:
ian.fox (10-26-2018), ink. (09-22-2018), kr98664 (12-05-2019), SteveSheldon (09-28-2018)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Andy,

Good post - you'll certainly need the AirCon today!

As requested, I've moved your post from New Member Area - Intro a MUST section to S-Type section.

There shouldn't be any restriction on you posting to any other section. Open up the S-Type section and click on the New Thread button (arrowed in red) to start a new thread:

S-Type Diesel Dual Climate Heater Control Valve - Tips-andy.jpg

Let me know if you still have problems posting here.

Graham

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Graham.

I think it was operator error as opposed to a restriction!

I know where to go now so will be sure to post in the correct section from here on in.

Cheers,

Andy

Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up many thanks Andy L

thanks so much for taking the time thats exactly the info i needed

Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up and very useful info regarding a replacement connector. I just wish the valve on the 4.2 v8 was as easy to access!! Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 PM

on my S type I found that there was no PWM control signal arriving at the valve plug connector ( if I remember correctly its 12v at the middle terminal with the ignition on) and the control unit in the facia of the heater provides a pulse width modulated ground connection to both valves left and right. the grounded time is controlled independently for left and right to give the requested heat to either side. I did a work round to get them both working using a relay Fused 10A on its battery supply and 1Amp on its ground to the heater ECU and using the remaining "good" ground signal. but I'm not going to give anymore detail, because if you don't know what you're doing you could set things alight so don't try it anyone

Old 09-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Yes I am updating an old thread from 5 years ago :-) Only found it by chance and via a google search if you would believe it.. :-)

I am going to try getting under my S-Type this Sunday to take a look at my valve which has been more not working, than working, ever since the first of two major coolant leaks - I will see if the connector is corroded, and if not try to get a replacement valve budgeted in after her MOT which is in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks for the info on where it is, and how to change it, and the hint on corrosion (which I am hoping will be more the issue than the valve itself) and this just shows how long info, any info any of us have can be relevant way into the future and I am grateful for that :-)

Old 09-30-2018, 01:30 PM

I took a look today and the nracket on mine is heavily corroded and where the metal caps are bolted to the plastic on it there is a lot of dried antifreeze. Couldnt get to the electrical connector well enough to remove and reseat it but looking at the dried antifreeze around the cap to plastic seams and corrosion I have decided to order a replacement 5 pipe one.. £33 so not too bad but I only have jacks and axle stands so will see if my MOT centre can fit it for me when she is in for her MOT on Wednesday as it is quite easy for them to get to it with lifts. Will update you with the outcome

Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 AM

OK MOT completed, one tyre replaced and my replacement dual circuit climate valve installed :-) It took the mechanic two hours to get the old one out due to the corrosion on the mounting bracket, but out it is, and the new one in and instantly getting hot air through, and the climate control now able to not only cool but warm the cabin. I have spent hours trying to clear what I thought was an airlock when it was in truth the DCCV :-) Yet another thing to add to my Jaguar knowledge I guess although hopefully I won't see this issue again :-)

Last edited by SteveSheldon; 10-05-2018 at 10:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Norri (10-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:17 PM
gr1

I have 2006 s type diesel. my aircon works fine on left side of car but right side constantlt blowing hot. I have changed dcc valve but still the same.any advise on next step.maybe aircon module but not sure if one side would be ok if module was faulty. any advise welcome. 140pound per hour at jaguar

Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by gr1
I have 2006 s type diesel. my aircon works fine on left side of car but right side constantlt blowing hot. I have changed dcc valve but still the same.any advise on next step.maybe aircon module but not sure if one side would be ok if module was faulty. any advise welcome. 140pound per hour at jaguar

Details here of how to test the DCCV and the control circuit, in post #2:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...2/#post1714570

On 2003+ models, there's a good chance the previous DCCV also damaged the control module. Depending on the exact failure, it's very possible one side works fine but the other is dead. Details here of how to test, and where to send the module for a reasonably priced repair and upgrade:

DIY: Diagnose It Yourself - JaguarClimateControl.com

The following 3 users liked this post by kr98664:
Catfan01 (12-05-2019), gr1 (12-06-2019), NBCat (12-05-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 03:58 AM
gr1

you could be correct my worry is the module if failed wouldn't control anyside not sure if there built to to control all the aircon or internaly split into left right

Old 12-06-2019, 04:48 AM
gr1

just had conversation with local jag mechanic. he said possible the module can be recalibrated.ie the vents stuck open. sounds plausible wonder if anyone heard of this before

Old 12-06-2019, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Just follow post #11

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by gr1
you could be correct my worry is the module if failed wouldn't control anyside not sure if there built to to control all the aircon or internaly split into left right

The typical internal failure doesn't wipe out the entire module. Everything still works except either one (or occasionally both) outputs to the DCCV. The internal valves in the DCCV are spring-loaded open, so when the control module output fails, you get full heat on the failed side. I'd be willing to bet large sums of your money that this is what has happened to your car.

You can easily open up the control module for a quick visual inspection:

https://jaguarclimatecontrol.com/new...-way-to-do-it/

Here's what you might find, causing your exact symptoms:

https://jaguarclimatecontrol.com/new...al-photo-here/

I'm not sure what your mechanic is talking about, wanting to "calibrate" the control module. I'm thinking he is not familiar at all with the S-Type climate control system.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by gr1
just had conversation with local jag mechanic. he said possible the module can be recalibrated.ie the vents stuck open. sounds plausible wonder if anyone heard of this before
Yes....it is done with sdd and is part of the climate control module set up.... usually done when vent controls have gone wonky....might be worth a try if not pricey, it will configure the module to the factory settings.....but i think Karl's advice is going to be what you need to follow

Old 12-07-2019, 03:42 AM
gr1

thanks for the update I have no real idea so will trust the people here with a better knowlage of this fault. again thank for all advise. I will give an answer to next step I take\ its a 2006 2.7 diesel. I understand the module is above or behind the passenger glove box.the car is now on 110000miles. any diagrams to remove this would be a great help

Last edited by gr1; 12-07-2019 at 03:48 AM.