Weird electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weird electrical issues

Hi there,

I'm having these weird issues with my 2002 S-Type
(the one with the updated interior).

Most of the time the driver switchpack (the window and seatcontrol buttons inside the driver door) doesn't work at all so I can't open my window. When I turn off the engine and wait about 10 sec. & restart it, it usually works for about one 1 minute before I need to restart it again for the controls to work.

Also my rear parking sensors don't work - when I start the car there is a loud beep for about 10 seconds but several OBD readings don't show any error codes so for now it's impossible to find out if the sensors are broken or if it's the control module.

Has anyone dealt with this as well or does anyone have some notion of where these issues could be coming from?

Thank you very much in advace!

Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Weak or failing battery?

The following users liked this post:
FranklinK (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 AM

They tested the battery, but they told me it was fine.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

What sort of OBD reader are you using? If it is a basic reader, it will not detect and decode Jaguar proprietary chassis codes. I have an iCarsoft reader and it had no problem locating a bad reversing sensor on my 2003 S-type.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

OBD codes are to do with emissions so you need something more advanced for such as parking.

I wonder if there's something jamming the window / its switch and it is being disabled as a result.

The iCarSoft or IDS/SDD (as dealers use) should let you investigate much further.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Well they did it in the garage which does all my maintenance but they also could find any stores errors in the computer

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by FranklinK
Well they did it in the garage which does all my maintenance but they also could find any stores errors in the computer
could NOT

Old 12-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If thy didn't use an advanced diagnostic tool they would not get the codes because only the special tools know how to query the many modules inside the car.

If you like, find out exactly which tool and ask specifically if they scanned all of the dozen or so modules.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 PM

Ah, I did not know that; thanks! I will ask around for that then.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FranklinK
Hi there,

I'm having these weird issues with my 2002 S-Type
(the one with the updated interior).

Most of the time the driver switchpack (the window and seatcontrol buttons inside the driver door) doesn't work at all so I can't open my window. When I turn off the engine and wait about 10 sec. & restart it, it usually works for about one 1 minute before I need to restart it again for the controls to work.

Also my rear parking sensors don't work - when I start the car there is a loud beep for about 10 seconds but several OBD readings don't show any error codes so for now it's impossible to find out if the sensors are broken or if it's the control module.

Has anyone dealt with this as well or does anyone have some notion of where these issues could be coming from?

Thank you very much in advace!
Hi There,
You confused me a for a moment there with your first problem until I remembered that the door switch pack includes the seat memory buttons. A quick test to see if this particular function is working properly would be to set two positions in memory and, when the problem with the window occurs again, stop the car and press memory button one and two to see if the drivers seat moves to the positions you preset. If that works then its unlikely to be a pinch or break in the door wiring loom to the switch. The next step would be to remove the switch pack and check for damaged or corroded connections to the switch pack itself and the loom connector. If not then then the problem is likely to do with the power supply to the window regulator motor. You'll need to remove the door card, etc. to investigate further.

Regarding the Rear Parking Sensors. These are a perennial problem and can be adversely affected by the use of power/jet washers. To test that sensors are working; start the car and engage reverse gear with the parking brake set - it may be wise to block the rear wheels if you'r doing this alone - exit the car and get your ear as close as possible to each of the sensors in turn. If the sensor is working you should hear a quiet clicking/ticking sound. If not, that particular sensor is potentially dead or there may be a problem with its connection to the control module. If you hear nothing from all the sensors then its likely that the problem is centred on the control module which can be found in the boot/trunk however it could also be that the sensor loom has been damaged before the first sensor in the series. Check the control module first to make sure that all connectors and wiring are clean, dry and free from corrosion - clean and repair as needed. If you know how to use a multimeter and have access to one you can also do a pin test to make sure the module is getting power. If none of this works get a garage to test the control module for you, it may be dud. If work is needed on the sensors, either to check and repair the cables, connectors or to replace them I'm sorry to say the bumper has to come off.

S Type ownership is such fun aint it.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Cubist