F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob B/U When Traveling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Key Fob B/U When Traveling?

I have a good record on NOT losing my keys, but I've been wondering. If I were driving out of town and a good distance from home, and proceeded to lose or have someone steal my keys, what would be my recourse (to start and drive my F-Type, if my spare was at home? I could start it remotely but I don't think you can actually drive without the Key Fob. How you you guys prepare for such a hassle as this? What would be my options?
Thanks for any insight.
CRS

Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sort of going thru this now with having what was just diagnosed as a Bad Remote Module and a Bad FOB.
Only thing I can think of is going back to the old way of hiding a fob under the car. That leaves the question of the hidden one of whether to take the battery out of the hidden fob so it does not activate the car.
It's a GOOD question !

So I asked my service advisor at jag, he was stumped. Said probably would have to call roadside assistance and then new fobs. Not what any of us want to hear....BUT....let's see what the rest of us here have to say.

The following users liked this post:
CRS 123 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

From my XKR experiences I think you can drive it without the fob once the engine's fired up (I think it'd be dangerous if you were driving and the fob failed for some reason, but you'll get warning messages).

I guess you'd have to use the remote app to unlock the car, too, since it'll only remote start if it's locked, and you have to get in to drive it.

I did find my engine shut down when I opened the boot while the car the running and locked, but keeps running when unlocking the driver's door.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Not allot of information on this out there...I'll keep researching. I thinking of keeping the 2nd Fob somewhere in the car rather than in a safe at home. Perhaps wrap it in foil to block it from emitting any signal, and hide it behind a speaker or electrical panel behind the seat. It seems to make more sense to have it within arms reach. The "in control" App on my phone would at least open the car door, although perhaps taking the mechanical key out of the Backup Fob and hiding it somewhere outside the car may also be prudent. Apparently, I could start the car with the "InControl" app, but without the Fob present, the car would shut down if I tried to drive it. The reason I started thinking about all this, is because my sister just went through the major hassle of losing the Fob for her honda accord and had lost the B/U long ago :-( .

Anyway, if there are any other thoughts out there, I'd love to hear them :-)
Cheers
CRS

Brock (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Do the model years prior to 2016 have an app that can control the car?

Old 12-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
From my XKR experiences I think you can drive it without the fob once the engine's fired up (I think it'd be dangerous if you were driving and the fob failed for some reason, but you'll get warning messages).

I guess you'd have to use the remote app to unlock the car, too, since it'll only remote start if it's locked, and you have to get in to drive it.

I did find my engine shut down when I opened the boot while the car the running and locked, but keeps running when unlocking the driver's door.
Remote start will stop if you try to do anything in the car without the key on you.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Not allot of information on this out there...I'll keep researching. I thinking of keeping the 2nd Fob somewhere in the car rather than in a safe at home. Perhaps wrap it in foil to block it from emitting any signal, and hide it behind a speaker or electrical panel behind the seat. It seems to make more sense to have it within arms reach. The "in control" App on my phone would at least open the car door, although perhaps taking the mechanical key out of the Backup Fob and hiding it somewhere outside the car may also be prudent. Apparently, I could start the car with the "InControl" app, but without the Fob present, the car would shut down if I tried to drive it. The reason I started thinking about all this, is because my sister just went through the major hassle of losing the Fob for her honda accord and had lost the B/U long ago :-( .

Cheers
CRS
This is a very good idea, thank you!
Keep a spare key in the car, maybe take out the battery so that it does not get detected unintentionally, and when you lose your key, open the door with your phone. Brilliant!

Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

In those states that use fast pass or ez pass for tolls, the sending units come with a foil zip lock pouch to prevent the sending unit from being read - you can drop the unit in if you don't want to be read or tracked while driving (here in Calif they use them for traffic flow indicators - or so they say). I would assume one of those pouches would work for a spare key fob as well.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123

Cheers
CRS
I like the idea of hiding a fob inside the car, but taking the battery out of it but put the battery somewhere else in car (no foil), and the key blade outside the car. If you forget your phone or don't have it, the remote app is worthless, and as scm and eeeek said, the car won't run anyway without the fob.
Just remember to try the key blade every once in awhile as dirt gets in the key blade slot.
Good Idea !

Old 12-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Magical
I like the idea of hiding a fob inside the car, but taking the battery out of it but put the battery somewhere else in car (no foil), and the key blade outside the car. If you forget your phone or don't have it, the remote app is worthless, and as scm and eeeek said, the car won't run anyway without the fob.
Just remember to try the key blade every once in awhile as dirt gets in the key blade slot.
Good Idea !
Exactly what I was going to suggest. You shouldn't need the battery because the fob will start the car with a dead battery in it if held against the right place on the dash. The metal key can be kept in your wallet.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 12-12-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

My old Audi S5 had something like that. In the golvebox you would keep a basic 'fob', that was not active. You were also given a plastic key, that would open the doors. You would open the doors with the key, then slip the key into the fox, which would somehow make it 'active', at which point you could start the car.

The danger of leaving a key in the F-Type, even without batteries, is someone could break a window, find the key and even without a battery, start the car and go.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
My old Audi S5 had something like that. In the golvebox you would keep a basic 'fob', that was not active. You were also given a plastic key, that would open the doors. You would open the doors with the key, then slip the key into the fox, which would somehow make it 'active', at which point you could start the car.

The danger of leaving a key in the F-Type, even without batteries, is someone could break a window, find the key and even without a battery, start the car and go.
Really good point. I guess the easiest thing to do is not lose the fob.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Do the model years prior to 2016 have an app that can control the car?
No.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could keep an extra FOB in the car with the battery removed. It's easy to open the FOB. Put them both in a Ziploc bag and you have a non-functional backup - till you put the battery back in. No issue with the car sensing it.

CRS 123 (12-17-2018)