Ideas for Jaguar meet event 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Ideas for Jaguar meet event 2017

Hi all,
well the Crieff event went very well I thought, most seemed to have a great day as far as I can tell, see details again here.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...e-05th-157318/

The impromptu quickly put together "Highest pub in England meet" last week for XJ X350/X358 only was also a success, although on a smaller scale of course, see here....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...ngland-164008/

I'm thinking / considering putting something together for next year, maybe something a little different.

Maybe we could look to change locations and do something different? I'll get my thinking cap on....
It had crossed my mind though about checking out the "Northcoast 500"

It's 500 miles of North Scottish coastline, some stunning scenery and great driving roads too. I'm wondering if it's something we could cover in say 3 days / 2 nights and make a weekend of it.
Essentially looking at an extended meet with a much larger driving portion for the event, after all we're a Jaguar forum and Jags are for driving.

I could still look to see what sponsors I could get for the event and or check out possible accommodation ( of course checking around and looking for discounts and or the best places to stay )
Just thinking out loud, maybe from the Friday to the Sunday inclusive?
Come on your own and or bring partners etc, the more the merrier. A nice Jaguar convoy heading through the Scottish Highlands would be pretty cool.

The idea sounds great in my head, but unsure of the logistics of it and or who / how many may be interested in something like this?

The following users liked this post:
pegasus3710 (08-18-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 04:42 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Very interested to see which way this goes.. but whichever way it goes I see a mammoth event coming if you are up your usual Jim :-)

You will also have some real competition for 2017, as down here in the south I am working on our biggest convoy & meet ever seeing if we can really get JaguarForums.com on the radar out there :-)

If someone wants to take us on with an event in the Midlands area it would be fantastic - any takers for the challenge?

Meanwhile though very, very interested in which way things go for you with what promises to be an abslutely mammoth event.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
Very interested to see which way this goes.. but whichever way it goes I see a mammoth event coming if you are up your usual Jim :-)

You will also have some real competition for 2017, as down here in the south I am working on our biggest convoy & meet ever seeing if we can really get JaguarForums.com on the radar out there :-)

If someone wants to take us on with an event in the Midlands area it would be fantastic - any takers for the challenge?

Meanwhile though very, very interested in which way things go for you with what promises to be an abslutely mammoth event.

Hey Steve, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
Sometimes though it's like pulling teeth, really shouldn't be this hard, lol
I guess people are either interested or not?

Your mammoth event that's around 12 months in the making is a massive undertaking, 100 - 200 Jaguars....rather you than me mate, but will definitely be a sight to see!!!

Don't really know if the road trip idea "Northcoast 500" would be a goer or not, it's on my bucket list though for sure
Anything I can do to help with yours. please just let me know as usual
Best

Old 07-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Yep, I'll be up for that Jim :-)

JimC64 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Northcoast 500 road trip / forum meet / drive

Check it out HERE..... www.northcoast500.com

I'm thinking / considering putting something together for next year, maybe something a little different.

Maybe we could look to change locations and do something different? I'll get my thinking cap on....

It's 500 miles of North Scottish coastline, some stunning scenery and great driving roads too. I'm wondering if it's something we could cover in say 3 days / 2 nights and make a weekend of it.
Essentially looking at an extended meet with a much larger driving portion for the event, after all we're a Jaguar forum and Jags are for driving.

I could still look to see what sponsors I could get for the event and or check out possible accommodation ( of course checking around and looking for discounts and or the best places to stay )
Come on your own and or bring partners etc, the more the merrier. A nice Jaguar convoy heading through the Scottish Highlands would be pretty cool.

The idea sounds great in my head, but unsure of the logistics of it and or who / how many may be interested in something like this?

1. JimC64
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy

Old 07-24-2016, 04:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

What month you thinking off .

Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Unsure yet Terri, maybe June I think.......

Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

1. JimC64
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy
4. Jaguar-girl

Old 07-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

1. JimC64 +1
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy +1
4. Jaguar-girl
5. Jaguar42064 +1
6. Nichol*2010 +1

Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this idea. Also what about of a winter meeting as well? Scotland will have snow, so opportunity to put our winter tyre skills in use!?!

JimC64 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Add me to the list Jim that should be a great wee run 😉

JimC64 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

1. JimC64 +1
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy +1
4. Jaguar-girl
5. Jaguar42064 +1
6. Nichol*2010 +1
7. TheZig +1
8. I-MNL +1
9. Rob M600 RJC +1
10.XJREcosse

Old 07-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

1. JimC64 +1
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy +1
4. Jaguar-girl
5. Jaguar42064 +1
6. Nichol*2010 +1
7. TheZig +1
8. I-MNL +1
9. Rob M600 RJC +1
10.XJREcosse
11.Broadwayblueshirt +1

Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 8bit
I grew up in Thurso, right on the very North coast and know the North coast and parts of the West coast fairly well. Some thoughts:

A lot of the roads the route takes are narrow, single track roads with few places to pull in to let opposing traffic past. This would be a problem for a large number of cars in the convoy. If you did get a lot of folk doing the run you'd probably not want to have everyone in one big convoy while driving, better to let the cars set off in batches of a few at a time staggered about 15 to 30 minutes apart.

The route up the East coast from Inverness to Thurso (or other way round depending which way you take the route) gets a lot of tourist traffic during the spring to autumn months including a lot of foreign caravans and motorhomes. It's also the main route from the very North East back to civilisation. I've driven that road dozens of times and it's common to end up stuck behind a large, articulated lorry for miles and miles, or worse, tractors/heavy farm machinery. You can comfortably do that stretch in a little under two hours if you get a really clear run at it but it can take as much as three if you end up in a convoy behind something very slow for a long time.

Drivers with thirsty cars will want to ensure they're within range of a fuel station at all times, they can be few and far between, especially the further North or West you go.

Back to the roads - a lot of them in the more remote parts are little more than tracks, these might not be suitable for some of the bigger cars. Bad weather can leave a lot of standing water in places or wash mud off fields onto them.

I'd think three days would be a bit ambitious for a small number of cars even with fairly light traffic, it's possible but a lot of the poorer roads are hard work. That won't make for a relaxing few days! With a bigger group or if you're not a particularly fast driver then four would be the minimum I'd think, maybe even 5 to do it properly. I wouldn't plan on spending a lot of time stopping for photos/sightseeing etc. if working to a 2 night/3 day timescale.

All that being said, it's a fantastic part of the country, some breathtaking scenery and great roads. I'd love to do it and will come if I can

Thanks 8Bit, appreciate the comments
Having checked into hotel prices ( for the better ones at least ) last night as well as looking into the roads a little further I'm also coming to that conclusion.

I know a lot of the roads up that way, not so much some of the more desolate and isolated ones, although I've been on similar before and know they can be hard going, especially with heavy / slower traffic in front, this could also be a problem as you say.
One of the biggest issues may be trying to get a compromise between staying in expensive hotels which will make the trip costly, bed and breakfast or even camping.......not everyone will want to go down the same route.
The more I think about it, the more I think his may be just a bridge too far, we'll leave it as is for the moment and can revisit at a later stage

Thanks for the input

Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 AM
Emz
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this gets off the starting block then I'm interested Jim

JimC64 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

1. JimC64 +1
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy +1
4. Jaguar-girl
5. Jaguar42064 +1
6. Nichol*2010 +1
7. TheZig +1
8. I-MNL +1
9. Rob M600 RJC +1
10.XJREcosse
11.Broadwayblueshirt +1
12.Emz

Old 07-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds good --if for some reason the "3 dayer" does not go as planned can I suggest Aviemore as a possible contender/alternative---still beautiful scenery,large car parks etc and possibly a little more accessible.`tis only a suggestion. (The Harleys have a great time there). Good luck anyway
PS Crieff meet was great fun

I`ll get my coat

JimC64 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tommac
sounds good --if for some reason the "3 dayer" does not go as planned can I suggest Aviemore as a possible contender/alternative---still beautiful scenery,large car parks etc and possibly a little more accessible.`tis only a suggestion. (The Harleys have a great time there). Good luck anyway
PS Crieff meet was great fun

I`ll get my coat

Thanks Tommac, really might not be a bad idea!
I'll certainly take it under advisement and bear it in mind for sure.

If the NC500 3 days event doesn't go ahead it's something I'm likely to do at some point soon anyway, deffo on my bucket list

Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi Jim,
Your up to 12 folk already Jim. Anyway, I thought you said you were going to take it easy and gave a nudge and a wink that maybe someone would step forward to give you a break from the organising bit.
On the other hand, it looks as you like to keep busy and wish you luck in organising this ambitious plan.
Oh and to answer your question of the other day, the Volvo is going okay, but I miss the S.
All the best
Regards
Telfer.

Last edited by InverStype; 07-28-2016 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by InverStype:
JimC64 (07-28-2016), SteveSheldon (07-29-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I'm wondering if we could have our "usual" annual meet event but have it at Inverness and a day event?
It's a beautiful part of the world and some may be interested enough to attend at least for the day, say on the Thursday. I could look at trying to get the usual sponsors and do as we normally do in regards to welcome packs / prizes etc etc. That would involve an overnight and 2 or 3 day trip from who wish to attend possibly.

Then the 2nd part
Those who want to do the NC500, after the Thursday meet event portion, stay overnight and leave Friday morning to begin the 3 day/ 2 night portion of the drive event.

In all honesty I don't foresee many more than perhaps 15 - 20 ( if that ) wanting to do the road trip
I would still envisage us all going the same direction / route possibly in 2 groups if required, although I think no matter what it would naturally get broken up somewhat anyways along the way.

1. JimC64 +1
2. Super350
3. Caldoofy +1
4. Jaguar-girl
5. Jaguar42064 +1
6. Nichol*2010 +1
7. TheZig +1
8. I-MNL +1
9. Rob M600 RJC +1
10.XJREcosse
11.Broadwayblueshirt +1
12.Emz