US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

Anyone ever driven the Tail of the Dragon in NC, Tenn? I wanted to take the bike this year but with the new Jag I thought WTH? Anyone interested lets talk about this and get a Jaguar group together for a day trip. What do you think?

Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd be up for it, '97 XJR Chattanooga TN area.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I can ever find one (06-08 S-type R under 60K and not green) I will be there.

I live about 100 miles away in Knoxville and about had the Dragon tamed with my TVR. There is no road like it in my experience. As a matter of fact that is the Dragon in my Avatar

If you have not been you need to go. Bike or car it is rewarding.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I have done the Dragon three times in a heavily modified Cayman.
The Dragon and surrounding Cherahola Skyway, Pisgah Hwy and the Blue Ridge mountain Parkway are fantastic cruising roads, just endless and beautiful.

I saw plenty of Corvettes etc "cruise" the Dragon. The XK is a little big, heavy and not really agile enough to really get into a rhythm on the Dragon but should be fun nonetheless.

I plan a tour this summer down the East coast from Maryland's Eastern Shore all the way to St Simons Island in Georgia. We will definitely take the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway back. I looked into incorporating the Dragon but it will be just too off course for us and heading in the wrong direction.

Hope you all enjoy the area

Rock 'n' Croc - RnC3 - 2008 on Vimeo
Dragon Run - RnC4 - 2009 on Vimeo

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll consider. As I don't know much about the course, when and where would we start, run, and end? I've only ever rode my bicycle on north Georgia's Six Gap. Beautiful scenery for sure!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
The Dragon and surrounding Cherahola Skyway, Pisgah Hwy and the Blue Ridge mountain Parkway are fantastic cruising roads, just endless and beautiful.

I saw plenty of Corvettes etc "cruise" the Dragon. The XK is a little big, heavy and not really agile enough to really get into a rhythm on the Dragon but should be fun nonetheless.

I plan a tour this summer down the East coast from Maryland's Eastern Shore all the way to St Simons Island in Georgia. We will definitely take the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway back. I looked into incorporating the Dragon but it will be just too off course for us and heading in the wrong direction.

Shortly after purchasing my first E-Type I made a fall trip from DC to the Smokies starting on Skyline Drive, connecting to the Blue Ridge Parkway and ending up near the Dragon.

It was the drive of a lifetime. What was not at peak color on the way down was on the way back. I am sure each time of year will offer something special along those roads.

I first discovered the Dragon as a short cut from NC to TN years ago when the park service closed 441 due to weather. This is what it looked like that night but with ice thrown in.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to live about an hour a way from the dragon... took my Mini up there many times. What a drive!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

I have done the Dragon several times in my '99 911 before it died. Although I already know the my XK is not nearly as "quick" I am looking forward to trying it once the weather clears. Highly recommended, but pay attention there are some bad actors out there that will cross the center line.

Had to do it in my Jeep couple of weeks ago.....no fun at all.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

I only drove it once in a Kia Soul!
Might be back in the area next year so I may try to improve.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM

I may not have the Jag yet or even the TVR anymore, but I did take a nice Sunday Drive on the Dragon just now.

While I don't have the car's feel down well enough for it to be the ballet it was with the TVR, there was something Moses related in how the slower drivers parted like the seas for me. Maybe it is the wail of the SRT6's supercharger or the blacked out black on black on black look. Whatever it is the TVR did not generate as much courtesy.

I need to keep remembering days like this when I consider moving back to Florida.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been down the Dragon many times in years past, however now that I have an xk I would love to try it again.
make sure to post date and time.... would love to do it with other Jag owners!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe

Check Parkway information for construction info. There's currently at least one detour twixt about mile post 270 and US 421 in NC. Since you can't make the Dragon, you might consider The Diamondback Motorcycle & Sportscar Route which is a loop accessed from the parkway near Little Switzerland. (Dragon in an XK = 2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3....etc.)

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have ridden the Dragon and surrounding roads several times on a motorcycle. While the Dragon is fun, you have to be careful. There are lots of people who pay no heed to the yellow center line.

A couple other nice roads in the area are the Cherahola Skyway,and The Hellbender (aka RT 28), headed from The CROT to Fontana Dam.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done the dragon many times on my bike. I would recommend setting a meeting place where people could meet and gas and not be surrounded by bikes.

When on the Dragon stick to the speed limit, cars and bikes alike fail to stay in their lane. Even at the limit and not "proving" what our cars can do is still a blast. I would be up for a meet.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been wanting to do to the dragon for years... it would be cool to set up a jaguar meet and cruise there. I'd make the trip from FL for that for sure.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JuJuBee
....... I would be up for a meet.
Originally Posted by Justink201
I've been wanting to do to the dragon for years... it would be cool to set up a jaguar meet and cruise there. I'd make the trip from FL for that for sure.
I would be more then willing to meet up with some of our members out there. I am only 5 hours away.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 PM

I am 2hrs or less depending on which end. Would definitely be a fun drive on a nice cool fall day.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

i ran it a few years back in my mgb, thought it would be nice to do it on October when leaves were changing! Huuge mistake! leaves were down and it was raining!!! It was super slick!!!! My arms were aching after the run!! (no ps on an mgb) But it was worth it!!! great road and so much scary fun!!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've done it about a dozen times in my FFR Cobra replica....It is 318 curves in 11 miles....
It was more fun when Smokey wasn't so in evidence...Now they pull you over just for hitting the center line....30 mph speed limit , too.
The Skyway mentioned earlier , is a more fun and prettier ride...but you don't get a t-shirt for doing that one.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 PM

Or you can do both, Skyway and Dragon on the same day

Another great ride is the Blueridge Parkway from Gatlinburg all the way to Asheville or farther up to Boone, stops at Clingmans Dome, Mt Mitchell and Grandfather mountain along the way. Much longer route with better views and plenty of turns.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon