X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1,025 of upgrades to my '03

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $1,025 of upgrades to my '03

Hey guys, I love my car, it's the first car I've owned and I want to go all out.
I've made a list of things I want to add to my car.
Comments, questions, concerns. Let me know what you guys think. This isn't final, it's in the development stage so far.
If all works out, I can get these in three weeks.

Licenses plate frame: Amazon.com: Used and New: Jaguar Chrome License Plate Frame $25

HIDS: HID Kit Headlight Conversions - Xenon Bulb HIDs for Halogen Lights (6000K)
$150

Spoiler: Painted TM3 Type LIP SPOILER for Jaguar X type sedan | eBay $40

Exhaust: Jaguar X-Type Performance Exhaust for Jaguar X-Type $490 Saw a video, sounds great!

ECU Chip: JAGUAR X-TYPE GF Peformance Chip $69 SCRATCH THIS. It's a bogus chip that does absolutely nothing. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estions-73709/

Side light: JAGUAR X-TYPE BUMPER SIDE TURN SIGNAL MARKER CRYSTAL CLEAR CHROME FRONT OR REAR | eBay $60

Lower Mesh grill: Jaguar X-Type Lower Mesh Grille for Jaguar X-Type $175

Thinking about getting the upper mesh grill, but it's an extra $100-$500, not sure yet, anyone have the two? I wanna see how it would look.

I'm also thinking about getting tints and a sound system installed, not sure yet.

~Kory

Last edited by Boss_Fury; 05-21-2012 at 07:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Scotton (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im glad you are exited about your car, Im a new owner too I've already done somethings to my cat, Ive done a full HID conversion (HB LB & Fogs) all in 6k, and Ive also done the spoiler in the back (same one you want)..

The only one thing I can say is stay away from simplyhidkits.com I ordered 3 kits from them and two of my six ballasts where bad, and one of my bulb set was flickering since installed, and yes they send me a RMA but the thing is that I had the whole front of my car down to convert my car and I didn't want to undo everything just to wait to get my replacement parts from them, so I went and bought them from a local store here. Aside from that they send me the wrong bulb size for my fogs, maybe someone has had better experience with them in the past here but its my first and it was a bitter one.

I really want a Mina gallery exhaust thats on my list to get.

Now regarding the performance upgrades that you have in there, I also wanted those things when I first got my Cat, but after reading in regards to the TC and giving the car more HP I decided not to even Think about performance upgrades on my car. But of course that is at your own discretion, I actually enjoy the performance on my car as it is, is sporty and fun to drive.

This is just my opinion, and I hope it helps.

Edit: Oh and yes on the lower mesh grill, and I also want to replace the top grill with the 2008 looking one. I think is called prowler.

Last edited by Ar15fonsi; 05-21-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.3 KB

All sounds good...............you gotta do the top mesh grill too though

Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I would do top and bottom mesh kits as well. But you should not be paying $150 for HID kits.... I bought the 60w (i think) 6000k H1 (the bulb type for both fogs and drive lights) on ebay with ballasts for $35.

I found something a little better and cheaper too: 35W H1 6000K Slim Hid Xenon Bulb Ballast Conversion Kit | eBay

Just ebay it for the lowest you can find. Also, if you are worried about quality, all bulbs and ballasts are made in the select few factories in China and they are all market up according to what brand sticker was slapped on the side of it. Get one without a brand and you save tons of money. My $35 hid kit has been going for a year now without any problems.

My recommendation is to go to ebay for the grill and search for all of the items that you want because they will be much cheaper than you have stated. Also, you could upgrade the top grill to the new style grill.

One more thing: You can also put smoked vinyl over your corner markers and turn signals (looks sweet when I did it) instead of buying the whole clear assembly.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Agree with everyone saying go for both top and bottom mesh kits. It just looks right that way.

The exhaust is a great temptation but swallows nearly half your current upgrade budget. I'd put that lower down the list and go for visible upgrades first.

Graham

Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

On a second glimpse, those headlights look a little hazy. This is my pet peeve because for a car to look new, the headlights have to look new. Check this thread out on how to restore them yourself and keep them looking new with the diy sealant that I use on headlights: http://forums.5series.net/topic/1119...de-uv-sealant/

Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. Everything isn't final, I posted this to get some advice. There are somethings I'm still thinking about whether or not to add or keep the same.

I know i have to fix the headlight haze, I've been waiting for a nice day to do it.
The only performance upgrade I'm doing is the exhaust because I love the purr the car makes, it practically mimics a jaguar/cat purring. I just wish it was as loud and nice at 2k rpms when it's roaring at 3500-4000 rpms.

The prowler grill looks awesome, I am considering it.

A friend's father has one of the only (either three or four) Dark Green XJ8s Super charged in the US. It looks beautiful. I saw the grill, looks awesome.

Anyway, no engine upgrades other than exhaust because that's really what I'm looking for, I'm not going to race or anything of the sort, if I wanna get a faster car I will. I'm also going to a cheeper website to get the HIDs,

What is the darkest I could go with the tints on my car that would make the car still look classy and not ghetto?
if anyone has a carnival red jag with tints please post pics! =D

Also, has anyone put a sound system in their car?
I wouldn't want to modify the Jag's beautiful dash and console.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You could always just save that money for repairs and maintenance and just drive the car as is.

You say this is your first car, that would tell me you're younger. Spend that $1,000 AFTER you've gotten a handle on the kind of repair costs these vehicles require.

Just my $.02

Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

as total states, you may want to save up if you can't fix the car yourself. I do all my own repairs which is the only reason I am able to afford this luxury vehicle

Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight restoration

I had to put some serious elbow grease to get my headlamps restored but here is the attached pictures. I am happy with the results i cant remember the exact brand off the top of my head but i will re-post once i have it. Its definitely worth it and i think the kit was like $25 bucks. I split it with my brother and he did his Civic and i did the Jag.

Attached Thumbnails alt=,025 of upgrades to my '03-img00080-20110715-1916.jpg