X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Help] 2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sports mode problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post [Help] 2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sports mode problem

My Sports mode will not turn on when my car is started.
But the light does turn on when im on ignition (the one before you start on your car) but right when i turn the engine on i will dissapear.
When i drive the car will be the same and doesnt feel any different.

Also how do you connect my phone to the car?

[I DO NOT KNOW ALOT ABOUT CARS]

Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

alvin, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of useful information here and lots of people that are willing to help you out. But, we do ask a favor of you though too, please stop by the "New Member" section and tell us a little bit about yourself. We are a slightly different group here and you will find that we like to get to know a little bit about one another and in general have some fun. So, sit back, grab a cup of joe and enjoy the site.

As for your questions. yes, the Sports light will go out as you start your car. But, it should come back on once the car is up and running. This is due to certain computers being shut down as the car goes into the start mode to minimize any draws on the battery, helping the car get started. As for what it does for you, the SPORT mode is nothing really fancy. All that having the red light on does for you is raise the shift points at which the tranny shifts to the next higher gear. The amount of the shift difference is dependent on how hard you are on the gas pedal. If you are easy on the gas pedal, then you won't really see any difference. If you mash the pedal down, you will see about a 300-400 RPM difference with the SPORT mode (red light on) causing the tranny to shift at the higher RPM. That is all that button does.

As for the phone feature. All cars have the "PHONE" button on the steering wheel. The question is whether your car is equipped with the proper equipment to handle a phone. If you push the button and look at the radio screen (assuming you have the NAV system), when you hit the PHONE button, it will come up with 1 of 2 screens, if you have the phone equipment, it should prompt you to go and set up the phone. If you don't have the proper equipment, then it will tell you "This vehicle is not equipped to use a phone" or something to that effect.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
alvinsjag (01-21-2013), Stuart Beattie (01-22-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Hey i posted my introduction thanks for the help and welcome.

"If you are easy on the gas pedal, then you won't really see any difference. If you mash the pedal down, you will see about a 300-400 RPM difference with the SPORT mode (red light on) causing the tranny to shift at the higher RPM. That is all that button does."

When you say red light on does it have to be on to work ? Or could i still feel it when the lights off. I drove it this morning but i dont feel any RPM difference so it must not be working. I should post a video soon.

As for the phone feature, I must not have it equipped to my vehicle.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

alvinsjag, the red light is telling you that the car is in "Sports mode". The red light off is telling you that the Sports mode is turned off. With the light on, the computer will shift the tranny at a slightly higher RPM, relative to how hard you are on the gas as compared to when the "Sports Mode" light is off under the identical situation.

The following users liked this post:
alvinsjag (01-21-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Default Sports mode not engaging?

Are you saying that the light comes on when you start the car, but you are unable to put the car in sports mode by pressing the button (i.e. you can not get the light to come on after startup).?

The car does not feel much different other than the shift points which were discussed earlier. Generally it is more responsive to throttle input, holding the revs to a higher RPM and upshifting sooner. This will only happen if you hit the gas and it is a subtle difference. As far as I know none of the x-types had any active suspension so you will not feel it there.

Originally Posted by alvinsjag
Hey i posted my introduction thanks for the help and welcome.

"If you are easy on the gas pedal, then you won't really see any difference. If you mash the pedal down, you will see about a 300-400 RPM difference with the SPORT mode (red light on) causing the tranny to shift at the higher RPM. That is all that button does."

When you say red light on does it have to be on to work ? Or could i still feel it when the lights off. I drove it this morning but i dont feel any RPM difference so it must not be working. I should post a video soon.

As for the phone feature, I must not have it equipped to my vehicle.

alvinsjag (01-21-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Ya im guessing it doesnt work, or its broken. :/

Thanks for the help guys.

~Alvin

Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently had a problem where I would get a DSC Fault Message when I turned the key on in my 65K miles, 2004.5 X-Type Sport. I also noticed I was unable to extinguish the S light no matter what I did.

On Jan 4th, I went to Advance Auto because I had read, I believe here or somewhere about the battery causing a problem. My battery was original & never failed to start the car. The battery was tested & only registered 225 CCA & was considered defective. So I had the battery changed & my CEL when out (but returned the next morning); however, I have no more DSC Fault Messages and I can now push the S button & the light goes out.

I am not sure if this is related to your problem. But it might be something to consider. Good luck.

alvinsjag (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM

I honestly can't say I notice any difference when I drive in Sports mode. I attribute that simply to the way I drive- or am able to drive. In the U.S.- at least in NJ, I can easily get up to maybe 75 and go with the flow of traffic. If I had another opportunity, I'd love to go back to Germany and drive on the German Autobahn where the roads are designed for, the drivers are trained for, and the cars are built for unlimited speed when conditions permit driving as fast as a car can go. So it's no big deal to drive a Jaguar X-Type as fast as it will go on the Autobahn and actually experience the speed-assisted steering and other features. My 2002 X-Type 2.5L Hertz rental car would only go 125 MPH, but it handled like it was going 60 MPH. Then to enjoy the DSC, I suggest driving through the Alps and taking turn backs at twice the posted speed limit and not really feel anything inside the car like you would in a non-DSC equipped vehicle which would experience over or under steer.

It's a shame to have a vehicle that can do so much, but the roads here coupled with people who believe 55 MPH in the left-hand lane is a constitutional right along with roads that don't have fences to prevent animals from going wherever they want, coupled with speed traps and other things makes driving the car a less enjoyable experience. However, when the time comes, I know that 3.0 engine will deliver the power & performance I need when I need it.

On one really rainy day, I was passing a truck when the truck decided to move into my lane. The driver couldn't see me. I had a choice to run over a concrete median & end up on a guard rail in a panic stop on a wet roadway or hit the gas & pray. I chose the latter and ended up blowing out a front left tire when the front wheel hit the corner of the concrete, but we got around the truck who simply kept going. It was pouring rain. I had my daughter with me & all we could do when I pulled was look at each other and… laugh. We came within a second of ended up on a median guard rail, but the car shot like a car with nitro and got us around the truck. We changed the tire in like 2 minutes as it was still pouring and were on our way.

There was one other time I was glad to driving a car with these features which also includes ABS braking. My wife & I were driving up in the Catskills. We came up almost to the top of a mountain & I noticed a person trying to flag us down. What on Earth? Traffic was moving at 65 MPH and then I see a wooden storage shed in the middle of the left lane. Holy <something>! I had a car on my right and people were on the shoulder on the left. <something><something> I hit the brakes and somehow slowed down enough to not hit the shed while still being able to drive around it after traffic passed me on the right. We had just crested Wurtsboro Mountain which is an area with a so much wind, gliders are able to fly all day in the valley below. Well Ma & Pa Kettle had this shed in the back of a pick up truck and figured the weight alone would secure it in place-wrong. Well, once they hit the top of the mountain, that shed blew off. Had I been in another car like my Volvo wagon, the story would be different. The only result of this was the center cap on my right front wheel popped out.

So it's really good to have a vehicle that will perform when it needs to. I suppose it's also good to have speed limits or else I'd be spend twice as much as I do on premium fuel. But as far as Sports mode, when I had my battery issue, the red S was constantly lit except when I turned the key off. I never noticed whether it went off while starting the car.

I just drove to CT on Saturday and driving up on the Palisades Parkway going up and the Hutchinson River Parkway coming back permitted some enjoyment. The "Hutch" as it is known used to be a dangerous highway with many blind curves years ago back in the 70's. All those curves have since been changed as I guess too many people lost their lives. I used to enjoy driving that road about 1 A.M. with no traffic. It was an adrenaline rush & was like driving on the Grand Prix as it was impossible to know what might lie around one of the blind curves.

One thing happened for the first time on Saturday. I drove 312 miles up & back and came back with a quarter tank of gas & 99 miles left according to the car to drive. That was a first as I'd usually have to stop on the NJ Turnpike on my way home to get gas. All I did was replace the battery on Jan 4th and on Friday, I taped the hole in the vacuum line going to the PCV, changed the air cleaner filter, and cleaned the MAF. I also did not drive in Sports mode, but the car drove like I expected it to. Oh, I had also thrown in a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. Driving this car is fun once again now that I'm really getting to do more than simply change the oil, filters, or rotate the tires.

alvinsjag (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Thank you Backhertz for the story's, I guess sports mode isn't all that. This car has enough power and performance when you need it like you said.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I have an 05 X Sport and the sport light does come back on after the car starts. Meaning it does remember what mode it was in when you turn the ignition off.

I also had the DSC fault and the battery was the cause. It had NO trouble starting but one of the Jag techs here was nice enough to point out the computer voltage requirements are very finicky upon start. Before replacing the battery I even tried charging the battery over night and starting it but still got the DSC fault. I went to Wally World, bought a battery and the problem has been gone since. So, if your battery is original you might want to make that your first attempt at a fix.

As for the 2 modes, I can tell you definitively, while driving leisurely flat and level, the car shifts into 5th gear at 40mph in reg mode and 45mph in sport mode. It will NOT shift any sooner than those 2 speeds. You cannot mistake the 5mph difference.

Performance, while not anything breath taking, is definitely sportier when activated. It will hold all shifts out longer and down shift sooner when you give it throttle. Mileage is hardly effected if you drive normal because the reg mode is almost too low and lugs a little in 5th and sport mode is just a little above optimum for economy. I assume non-sport models probably shift perfectly right in between. Of course, any factory reprogramming upgrades could change these stats but it's not something they normally change.

Try going to an auto parts store that does free OBDII scans to see if you can find a code fault for the sport mode or battery issue. Good luck.

Last edited by C5pilot; 01-21-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by C5pilot
Welcome to the forum. I have an 05 X Sport and the sport light does come back on after the car starts. Meaning it does remember what mode it was in when you turn the ignition off.

I also had the DSC fault and the battery was the cause. It had NO trouble starting but one of the Jag techs here was nice enough to point out the computer voltage requirements are very finicky upon start. Before replacing the battery I even tried charging the battery over night and starting it but still got the DSC fault. I went to Wally World, bought a battery and the problem has been gone since. So, if your battery is original you might want to make that your first attempt at a fix.

As for the 2 modes, I can tell you definitively, while driving leisurely flat and level, the car shifts into 5th gear at 40mph in reg mode and 45mph in sport mode. It will NOT shift any sooner than those 2 speeds. You cannot mistake the 5mph difference.

Performance, while not anything breath taking, is definitely sportier when activated. It will hold all shifts out longer and down shift sooner when you give it throttle. Mileage is hardly effected if you drive normal because the reg mode is almost too low and lugs a little in 5th and sport mode is just a little above optimum for economy. I assume non-sport models probably shift perfectly right in between. Of course, any factory reprogramming upgrades could change these stats but it's not something they normally change.

Try going to an auto parts store that does free OBDII scans to see if you can find a code fault for the sport mode or battery issue. Good luck.
Thanks for the welcome, hopefully i can get it back so I have a choice of a sportier feel. I think its the battery most likely, and I will check into a autopart store asap! Thanks again!

Stuart Beattie (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Default Advance Auto

I went to Advance Auto. They were the only one, I believe who carry the battery near me. I checked online and found a battery promotion code, I believe, which would give me a % off a battery if I ordered it online. Well, I wasn't sure I needed a battery.

I went to the store & they used a new type of battery tester which in 15 or so seconds showed I had 12.9 volts and 225 CCA. There was a line showing 700 CCA along with: Replace Battery printed on the slip.

The store would not honor the online battery promotion code, but they allowed me to use my cell phone to order the battery online while the guy was changing the battery. Two minutes after he was done, my order came into the store. End result? I only paid $125 vs. $161.

The dealership had quoted me $225- I'm not sure if that was for the battery alone or battery and labor.

Last battery tester I saw years ago had a huge load coil which was used after disconnecting the battery. This new one was simple looking voltmeter with two small clips and had a tiny printer.

When the work was done: the DSC Fault Message was gone, the red Sport mode light was extinguished & would toggle on & off. It had been constantly on for a few weeks and would not turn off. My CEL went off, of course.

One thing I noted was the previous destinations stayed on the Nav system. The radio needed reprogramming, the windows buttons had to be reset, the temperature mode had to be reset to Fahrenheit, and the clock had to be reset.

Good luck. I just had to repair a flat on my driver's side rear wheel. I had one heck of a time getting the 18" BBS wheel off in a sub-zero wind chill! My wife didn't care for me check for a leak in the kitchen sink as I couldn't find anything until I sprayed soapy water on it. I have no idea what caused the flat which made it difficult to locate. Fortunately I have a 75' hose on my compressor and my wife is used to me using the kitchen as a workshop…