X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 X type turn signals, high beam out

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04 X type turn signals, high beam out

I had to turn my emergency lights on one day and left them on for two days. I finally realized it and turned off. However the turn signals stop working along with the high beam lights. I couldn’t find any fuse that controlled that in my manual so I took it to the place I get my tires done and they supposedly checked all the lights and said no bulbs were out and I needed a new “Advanced Inter-motor Multifunction Switch”. I found a new one on eBay for 150.00 and utilizing YouTube replaced the lever/switch. Unfortunately that did not cure the problem. Of course the seller cannot take an item back that had been installed. Yesterday I did a google search and ended up in this forum and found a discussion exactly on point but it was never suggested what fuse to try. So I began trying to logon to my account to ask a question and could never get in and finally ended up starting over with a new email address, user name etc. Unfortunately I now can’t find the thread I was in. There was a member who really knew their “stuff” and was directing people how to fix the problem. I’m not exactly sure but the name I seem to remember was something like “Thermo”.
Can anyone help me before I get ripped off further please?

Old 04-28-2018, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Thermo is the correct member you are looking for. Unfortunately, until you meet the minimum post requirement, you will be unable to search by member or send a private message. I am currently traveling this weekend so I don't have access to my references.
One thing you need to do before we can help further is identify the build date for your vehicle. The 2004 model year had a mid year electrical upgrade and therefore has 2 separate wiring diagrams.
On the inside post of the drivers door is a sticker that has the month/year of the build of the vehicle. Please post that info and we will help with more info. If Thermo doesn't drop by before tomorrow I will send him a private message for you.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 04-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

THERMO TO THE RESCUE!!!!!! LMAO.

Yes, as you are aware, I tend to help a lot of people around these parts. So, you are in good hands now.

As for your problem, we have a few possibilities. Before we go too far, there is a key bit of information that you are going to need to know so you know exactly what to be looking for. You have the oddity of X-Types. What I mean by this is that in the middle of the production, they changed the wiring harness and fuse boxes for your car. So, this leads to a lot of confusion as people will go looking for stuff and it may or may not be there. So, if you open up the driver's door, you should see a sticker in the lower right corner of the driver's door jam and on that should be something that states "Build Date" (may be slightly abbreviated) and have a month and year under it. If it is before April 2004, then you have the original (early) wiring harness and if it is after March 2004, you have the newer harness. The other check you can do is look at your fuse box under the dash. If the fuses go up to F99, you have the early harness, if it only goes up to F55, then you have the newer harness.

As for figuring out what you have going on, here are a few things that I need you to tell me what you are seeing. The first is if you pull back on the turn signal stalk to "flash your high beams", does the high beam indicator come on? It should.

Next, with the car running, turn on your fog lights as the front of the car is near a wall. When you push the turn signal away from you to activate your high beams, do your fog lights go out and the low beams remain on? They should go out and high beams come on.

If you turn on your hazards, do they work? the turn signals and the repeater lights on the side of the car should all flash.

Because you have already replaced the multifunction stalk (aka, turn signal stalk), we can kinda rule that out. The indications that you see from the 3 questions above can tell us a lot.

If you are not seeing your fog lights go out and the high beams are not coming on, then we know the relay for the fog lights/high beams is not getting power. If this is associated with the hazards now not working, then this would kinda point back to the GEM module (Generic Electronics Module, aka, the computer that controls a lot of what happens inside the car).

Just to ask one more silly question, are your interior lights working like they should? If so, then we can rule out the fuse powering the GEM module. If they are acting funny too, then you need to check fuse F25 in the engine bay fuse box (early harness) or fuse F35 in the passenger area fuse box (late harness). That may fix your issues.

If the fuse is good, then odds are you are looking at a bad GEM module. That would be the only common item left to the 2 problems that you are having. If you want to prove the GEM module bad, how are you with a multimeter. I can help you do some electrical checks. Do not fear if you don't understand the first thing about wiring. I just want to know so I know how detailed I need to be with the instructions.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are the "Rescue" to a bunch of folks! However right after I posted I went to check fuse 35 that I had replaced a few days ago without anything happening. It was “red” so I put another 15 fuse in and BOOM….all worked! So 150.00 and a bunch of time thrown out the window. Thanks so much for your help and all you do!!!

Old 04-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

cmanley, sounds like you have a newer version of the X-Type. So, keep that in mind when you go looking here. Keep in mind that there were a few other "additions" to the wiring harness that were done with the "upgrade". The big one being that the transfer case was upgraded to an open differential style transfer case. Assuming you live in Alabama, it probably isn't too big of a deal, but in the northern climates it is. In short, the new transfer case will still allow only 1 wheel to take all the power, leaving the other 3 to sit there, doing nothing. As long as all 4 wheels have power, then they all pull. But, in adverse conditions, it is not of much help unless you have DSC (little button on the center console showing a car skidding out of control). Then the brake system works with the car and maintains the wheell speeds where it needs to be.

If you need to know anything about the car, let us know. We will spread the information.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

We all bow our heads and slowly nod at the various multiple "guru's" advice here on the forum.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted, but I just have to ask: How did you manage to have your emergency lights one for two days without noticing it? You didn't see the lights flashing on the dash or notice the lights blinking when you got out of the car?