X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all turn signal and hazard light not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all turn signal and hazard light not working

I need help on my 2002 Jaguar x type. Last week when i was driving it, the right turn signal started to flash really fast but the left turn signal is working fine. Today, both signal turns and the high beam are not working anymore. I searched in the web and it says possible the GEM module. I saw Thermo's response last 2010 to mmolaik (which we have the same exact problem). I tried looking for any burnt wire going to the headlight and causing the fuse 25 to blow up but i could not find it. I tried to replace fuse 25 but it blew up again. Could it be the GEM nodule? Would the fuse 25 blow if it is the module?
Thanks and i appreciate any help you could give me!

Old 01-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

LarMan, try this, access the fuse box inside the passenger area and remove relays R15 (high beam/fog light relay) and R21 (battery saver relay). Now, replace fuse F25 and see if the fuse blows immediately. If yes, then odds are you are looking at a bad GEM module. Assuming that the fuse did not blow, turn the ignition key to the RUN position (do not start the car). Did the fuse blow now? If it did, let me know.

Assuming fuse F25 is still not blown and the key is in the RUN position, replace relay R15. Did the fuse blow now? If yes, you have a problem with either the relay or the wiring going to the fog lights. If the fuse blew, remove relay R15, put in a good fuse into F25 and then take the relay R21 and put it in the R15 location. Did the fuse blow again? If no, then odds are you have a bad relay and you need to replace the relay. If the fuse blew again, let me know.

If you can install a fuse and it not blow and can install relay R15, then let me know and I will give you some more steps to take to figure out where the problem lies.

The following users liked this post:
LarMan (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 PM

Thermo, I appreciate your response. Here's what I did prior to your recommendations; After spending a few hours looking for any burnt wires at various places possible, I just gave up and called it a day since it has been very frigid here in Denver. I decided to buy new sets of 15A fuses and maybe, just maybe, that the reserve ones i have are defectives (i think they are the original back up fuse that comes with the car). Lo and behold, it worked! All the turn signals, high beam and hazard light are all working. I hope it is really just a bad fuse, and if it goes out again, i will follow what you've said. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

larMan, keep an eye on things. If you start having issues again, let me know. Just to ask a silly question, but did the problems start after it raining or the car experiencing a lot of water (car wash, slushy roads, rain, etc). What you are experiencing is somewhat indicative of water getting into a computer module. Granted, the GEM module is inside the passenger compartment. But, if you happen to have walked through some salty slush/snow and then happen to kick it up under the dash (I would call this really bad luck), this could possibly explain things.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 AM

Hi Guys - I have exactly the same problem (2005 car). No indicators, no hazzards and no high beam. Fog lights ok.
Can't find a blow fuse - but will now have another look.
Thermo (a star on this forum) mentioned removing R15 from inside the car, but my fog/high beam relay is located under the bonnet. Might this mean F25 is not the fuse I should be looking at on a 2005 car?

Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Paul, F25 on your year car is not the same as it is on Lar's car. There was a wiring modification done in early 2004 by Jaguar and they renumbered all the relays and fuses. So, anything that you read about wiring, you need to pay special attention to the year vehicle they are referring to. If you are still having issues, let me know and I will give you the fuses/relays that you are looking for.

The following users liked this post:
Paul1234 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:21 AM

Hi Chris, I found 2005 diagram and the GEM feed led me to F35 in car which had blown. Replaced it and tried indicators first -ok, main beam seems fine also. Will have to see how it goes. All the best Paul

Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Wiring diagrams before and after the 2004 change are here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4-25-a-152076/

Old 01-06-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
larMan, keep an eye on things. If you start having issues again, let me know. Just to ask a silly question, but did the problems start after it raining or the car experiencing a lot of water (car wash, slushy roads, rain, etc). What you are experiencing is somewhat indicative of water getting into a computer module. Granted, the GEM module is inside the passenger compartment. But, if you happen to have walked through some salty slush/snow and then happen to kick it up under the dash (I would call this really bad luck), this could possibly explain things.
Thermo, So far so good. As per your question, it was snowing for a few days when i had that problem but I don not recall having any passengers that week. Anyway, im not familiar with the GEM so I will try and look for it at the passenger side. Any hints how to find it? Thanks again!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

LarMan: Sit in the US passenger seat, stretch your legs forward under the dash and kick upward with your right foot. Don't do this for real, because you might kick the GEM, pictured below.

What Thermo insightfully suggests is perhaps your GEM was accidently kicked with a wet or salty boot.

Here's a thread describing how someone dislodge a GEM connector with an accidental kick: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-trunk-68245/

Given your intermittent symptoms, Thermo's suggest is to make sure your GEM has tight, clean electrical connectors.

FYI, while you're looking under the dash at the GEM, you'll see a metal box directly behind it which is the ECM. Open the hood to see the ECM's electrical connector on the engine-side of the firewall, by the hinge, behind the strut tower.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails all turn signal and hazard light not working-jaguar-x-type-gem-module.png  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:49 AM

I need help on my 2007 Jaguar x type. Yesterday when I was driving it, the turn signals and the high beam were not working anymore. I searched in the web and it says possible the GEM module. I can't find a fuse for the turn signals - as my first language is German it is rather hard for me to find out which fuse could be the bad guy :-)
I hope that you can help me!

Old 12-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Katharina, fuse F35 in the passenger compartment fuse box. Second check. depress the "HAZARD" switch (red triangle switch). Do your hazard lights come on? If yes, then fuse F35 is good. If not, then fuse F35 is most likely bad. If the hazards did come on, then your problem is the ground wire for your steering column is bad. This feeds all the switches that you are having issues with.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:23 AM

WOW - thanks a lot! you are my hero :-) It really was just the tiny fuse F35. In the German description there is no fuse for the turn signal. No one here in Lower Austria could help us (seems that the so called experts in the garages for Jaguar are no experts at all!)

Old 12-16-2019, 05:02 AM

Hi. I should have posted where I found the faults with both indicators and full beam. Both problems were the result of wiring faults within the headlight assembly. I rewired with a wire direct to the back of the relevant bulb. Good Luck.