X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 xtype rear passenger banging sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06 xtype rear passenger banging sound

On my 06 X-type I have developed a banging sound in the rear passenger tire area. I thought it was a sway bar end link because that is exactly what it sounds like. I ordered all new links and sway bar bushes for the front and rear and put them on. noise is still there. I have shook the car bounced the car and can't reproduce it. Its only three when driving. Sometimes you hit a bump and nothing, sometimes you hit a bump and its there. sometimes it seems to do it just driving on a flat surface. I have shook everything under it by hand, I have been under it and had someone bounce it up and down and I don't see anything moving. I held my hand on the upper shock mount and bounced the car up and down and don't feel any movement. It just sounds like a sway bar but everything is new. I think I might still take the sway bar off and drive it around. I could see it being the upper shock bushing also, maybe I'll take it off also. Anyone else ever hear of this banging problem. I also check the jack and spare tire and the jack handle was out of it's clip, man I thought that was it but it was not. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. This noise is driving me nuts.
t
Thanks,
Jim

Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I had an annoying knock from the rear of my old X-Type.

After many hours of road tests & throwing parts at it, turns out it was a worn bush in the lower control arm.

See the circled bush here:

Old 07-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i had something similar in another kind of car, and it was a bolt on a shock that had backed out. not one that holds the shock to the chasis, but one that held a brake line in place. it was hitting against something.
don't know if that will help, but it may be a lead.

best of luck, let us know what you find.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diavolo
i had something similar in another kind of car, and it was a bolt on a shock that had backed out. not one that holds the shock to the chasis, but one that held a brake line in place. it was hitting against something.
don't know if that will help, but it may be a lead.

best of luck, let us know what you find.

Hi Diavolo,

Do you have a diagram or picture on which knot you tightened to get rid of the noise. thanks!