Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 3L water probs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 3L water probs

Hi and thanks for looking.
I have been given a chance to purchase a 2002 x-type 3L for a good price, however it has a problem with the water.
Below is a copy of what the seller has put, describing the water problem:

"The car is losing water, i took to garage and had topped up a couple of months ago and it has since lost a good inch. For some reason the top wont screw off on the water tank so i cant top up the water which is about an inch below minimum line. It also doesn't seem to be driving great, but has never let me down, and tempreture never moves from half way so no overheating issues"

Is this possible head gasket? is it worth pursuing or should I walk away?

thanks
stuart

Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

stuart, normally, loss like what they are describing comes from the water pump. Granted, could also be a leak in the radiator, any one of the multitude of hoses, etc. So, if you don't mind doing some work, you might be able to get the car for a good deal. Kinda like with the cap on the expansion bottle. This is a known problem that we have with the X-Type. Use it to get a good deal on the car. It just takes a bit more force to get the cap off once it is unscrewed. Worst case, you end up spending about $120 on a new expansion bottle and cap and you put it on.

As for the driving situation, from the sounds of things, they don't mention a CEL, so, it probably just needs some new plugs and/or one of the coils is starting to go and you have 1 cylinder that isn't pulling its weight right now. Again, one of those things that you can use to get the car at a good price.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Hi Chris

Many thanks for yr reply.
There's some things to think abt.
would it be a gd thing to use k-seal in the water. as this will plug up any leak?

stuart

Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by landyman
Hi Chris

Many thanks for yr reply.
There's some things to think abt.
would it be a gd thing to use k-seal in the water. as this will plug up any leak?

stuart
do not use k seal it may stop your small leak but it will block your cooling components like hoses radiator and heater core then you may have no heat and a possible over heating problem, your best off finding the leak and replacing the part

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Stuart, like was mentioned, I can not advocate the use of the stop leak products just to get buy to not spend money. They tend to be great products for your local repair man, but not for you. If you are in a place that is not the best and you need to get out of there for your safety, then by all means use a product like that. If you are simply trying to get around not replacing whatever is leaking, that cheap product in the end may cost you 1,000's of times what it cost in the end as the motor overheats.

Think of it this way: how does the product know what is leaking and what isn't? It is just a chemical. So, it is going to coat everything and hope it seals the leak. Imagine putting a thin blanket on all the heat transfer surfaces. So, transferring the heat from the hot cylinder to the engine coolant has now gotten more difficult. The impeller on your water pump is now not going to have as much room between the vanes, so, it can not pump as much water, etc. As you can see, it has its draw backs.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Default ref water leak

Hi Guys
Many thanks for yr advice.
All noted on the k seal, woz not really keen on using it anyway, but had to ask.
However since my first post, have now found out that the car has now been sold, so once again thanks for yr info, just a shame I not act sooner

Cheer
Stuart

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Stuart, there are more X-Types out there. If you want one, you will find many others out there. Keep looking and you will be able to pet a kitty soon enough.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM

Chris.
thanks for that.
have found another one, only a 2.1 bit it fits the bill to a T

stuart