X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 x type noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 x type noise from rear

first of all i would like to say thanks to all who have made this forum so use full. i came across this site with help of google. now to my problem. ok i just bought 2002 jaguar x type automatic with 80k, the car was clean title no accidents. now the problem is when i drive the car i hear humming noise from rear. and when i accelerate it gets louder and shakes little bit, i thought it was the rear tires but while the car is moving and i put the gear in Nutral the sound goes away and as soon as i put it in Drive it comes right back. after seariching this forum, i found this thread with video and i have exactly the same noise. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=19649

Today i took it for alignment and they told me they can't align the car until i replace right rear lower control arm bushing? is that what causing the problem? and how to replace that?

Any Comments will be much appreciated.

Last edited by jagowner123; 09-29-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

As for your noise issue, I would try greasing the driveshaft bearing first. A lot of people have had noises similar to yours and simply greasing the bearing solved a lot of the noises. All you need is a grease gun and a needle attachment for the grease gun. From there, you slide the needle assembly into the bearing, add some grease, move to a different part of the bearing, add some more, working your way around. 4 spots 90 degrees apart should be more than enough.

As for replacing the suspension component. Are they talking about the short arm or the long arm on the suspension? The short arm is actually pretty easy. I just did both of mine (replace both lower/front control arms, one on the driver's side, one on the passenger side). If they are talking about the long arm, then that is a little more involved, but still not bad. The big thing with the long arm is unloading the rear spring so things don't pop apart when replacing the arm. But, a coil spring compression tool will make that job an easy one. If you need me to get into more detail, let me know. Just be a bit more specific in the actual arm that they are saying you need to replace. You have the upper control arm (run from the frame to the top of the spindle), the lower/forward control arm (runs from the frame to the front edge of the spindle on the bottom), and then you have the actual suspension arm which has the spring connected to it and it runs from the center of the car to the back/bottom corner of the spindle.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM

hmm not sure exactly but i will take picture of the part tommorw and post it over here. Thanks

Originally Posted by Thermo
As for your noise issue, I would try greasing the driveshaft bearing first. A lot of people have had noises similar to yours and simply greasing the bearing solved a lot of the noises. All you need is a grease gun and a needle attachment for the grease gun. From there, you slide the needle assembly into the bearing, add some grease, move to a different part of the bearing, add some more, working your way around. 4 spots 90 degrees apart should be more than enough.

As for replacing the suspension component. Are they talking about the short arm or the long arm on the suspension? The short arm is actually pretty easy. I just did both of mine (replace both lower/front control arms, one on the driver's side, one on the passenger side). If they are talking about the long arm, then that is a little more involved, but still not bad. The big thing with the long arm is unloading the rear spring so things don't pop apart when replacing the arm. But, a coil spring compression tool will make that job an easy one. If you need me to get into more detail, let me know. Just be a bit more specific in the actual arm that they are saying you need to replace. You have the upper control arm (run from the frame to the top of the spindle), the lower/forward control arm (runs from the frame to the front edge of the spindle on the bottom), and then you have the actual suspension arm which has the spring connected to it and it runs from the center of the car to the back/bottom corner of the spindle.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 AM

ok here is the picture of what i am talking about. thanks

Last edited by jagowner123; 09-30-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Jagowner, that is the actual support arm for the rear suspension. Unfortunately, the only real answer to this is to buy a new arm. The dealership name for the part is "Rear Lower Arm". If they ask, tell them it is the one that the spring is attached to. Plan on spending about $200 to get a new arm. Replacing it won't be that hard. The big thing is putting the coil spring compressor on the coil spring and taking the load up before popping off either bolt on the end of the lower arm. If you don't, anticipate parts to fly.

To get the best price on the part, talk with Ken@britishparts.com. he is a member here and he will be able to get you the part. You can also try http://www.jaguarparts.com. They are a dealership based out of Cleveland Ohio and they have the best prices I can find for a dealership. Both people will get you jaguar parts, not a knock off.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks, so there is no way to replace just the bushing with out buying the whole arm? Thanks

Jagowner, that is the actual support arm for the rear suspension. Unfortunately, the only real answer to this is to buy a new arm. The dealership name for the part is "Rear Lower Arm". If they ask, tell them it is the one that the spring is attached to. Plan on spending about $200 to get a new arm. Replacing it won't be that hard. The big thing is putting the coil spring compressor on the coil spring and taking the load up before popping off either bolt on the end of the lower arm. If you don't, anticipate parts to fly.

To get the best price on the part, talk with Ken@britishparts.com. he is a member here and he will be able to get you the part. You can also try http://www.jaguarparts.com. They are a dealership based out of Cleveland Ohio and they have the best prices I can find for a dealership. Both people will get you jaguar parts, not a knock off.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Hi Jagowner, I have a 02 x sport 2.5 since new, about to turn 90k miles and very little trouble i must say, little anoying things here and there, Thermo usually provides very good advice. i have a zing zing zing noise from my rear end normally i can only hear it when going slowly, i think its prob the same thing. Let us know how you get along with the greasing, it helps us all. Paul in Atlanta.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 PM

ok not a problem, when i go ahead and do it i will let you know. prob tomorrow or day after.

Originally Posted by paul11117606
Hi Jagowner, I have a 02 x sport 2.5 since new, about to turn 90k miles and very little trouble i must say, little anoying things here and there, Thermo usually provides very good advice. i have a zing zing zing noise from my rear end normally i can only hear it when going slowly, i think its prob the same thing. Let us know how you get along with the greasing, it helps us all. Paul in Atlanta.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

jagowner, unfortunately not. Jag uses formed bushings, so, they are integral to the arm. I'm sure with a little bit of work, you can modify a set of universal mounts to go in there, but you need to pull the arm off, clean out the joint, take some measurements, wait for the bushings to come in from who knows where, all the time the car will be out of service because you will have a very sloppy joint there if you attempt to assemble the arm and drive the car. If you had a spare arm, then that changes the situation. I am working on finding the bushings for the rear upper and lower control arms (short arms). Unfortunately, the one joint there isn't much I can do about as it is a very unique joint.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Thermo i got a spare arm from local junk yard and it is brand new condition. i got it for $45 plus $15 for shipping. right now the car in in the garage and replacing the part.
Thermo if you live in USA i am going to pm you the website which connects all the local junk yard in your area and all the world to find the parts. hope fully this will help you. Thanks again for your help.

jagowner, unfortunately not. Jag uses formed bushings, so, they are integral to the arm. I'm sure with a little bit of work, you can modify a set of universal mounts to go in there, but you need to pull the arm off, clean out the joint, take some measurements, wait for the bushings to come in from who knows where, all the time the car will be out of service because you will have a very sloppy joint there if you attempt to assemble the arm and drive the car. If you had a spare arm, then that changes the situation. I am working on finding the bushings for the rear upper and lower control arms (short arms). Unfortunately, the one joint there isn't much I can do about as it is a very unique joint.