X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 headlight issue - help troubleshooting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 headlight issue - help troubleshooting?

Hi all,

I'm a new owner, been making some small repairs. I'm having a headlight issue that I've been trying to solve and just hoping to get some feedback from others with experiences.

My highbeams both work fine, but I only have 1 halogen bulb that lights up for the on the front passenger side of the car and gives almost no visibility at night.

I've replaced a bulb on the driver side, but the bulb was not blown and didn't solve the problem. I have also checked all the related fuses, but none are blown. All of the other lights on the car work, side, rear, stop, turning (even in the front). To be honest I don't even known how many bulbs should be illuminated, I'm assuming 4. The fact that one works means it isn't an issue with the fuses or the switch. I'm assuming that this means there is either an assembly issue (although doesn't appear to be so with the one that I changed), or a wiring issue. Anyone else have experience with this?

Much appreciated.

Jonathan

Old 06-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

terragnosis, on the passenger side of your car, I would say to first remove the back cover off of your headlight and reach in to the back of your low beam headlight. With a little bit of force (no big pushing/pulling), can you move the headlight assembly around? I would say to do this (if you can) with the car facing a wall so you can see the beam. The spot on the wall should be at the same height as the headlight if you are parked back a few feet from the wall. If you see it up at your waist (possibly higher) or you can see/feel the bulb move around (or the spot on the wall moves more than an inch or so), odds are, you have broken internals of your passenger headlight. With the age of your car, it would not surprise me to hear that your headlight mounts are broken. If you do some searching here, you will fine a lot of posts about how to replace the headlight adjusters.

As for your driver's side. odds are, you will find that the connector on the back of the headlight bulb is going to be failed and that is causing your problem. This is a common issue. If you do some looking around, there are high temp silicon connectors/wire that you can buy that will fix this. But, also keep in mind that there are separate fuses for each of the low beam headlights. I would also check those. I don't have my diagrams with me since I am on travel, but if you look in the owners manual, you should find them listed there.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Fuse 16 is for the left low beam and fuse 17 for the right side, in the fuse box in the engine compartment.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Thermo Thank you! I'll have to look into the connector.

Originally Posted by avern1
Fuse 16 is for the left low beam and fuse 17 for the right side, in the fuse box in the engine compartment.
Thank you for pointing that out. Not sure how I missed that, I guess because I was looking for 4 running lights. Now I'm 100% sure its not the fuse.