X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are 2003 X-Type seats upgradeable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are 2003 X-Type seats upgradeable?

I have a 2003 X-Type 2.5 with black interior. The driver seat is a power seat, but does not have lumbar control or heat. I'm driving a lot more these days and my back is in desperate need of proper lumbar support! Is there any way to upgrade the seat or replace it? I've been searing online for seats, but can't seem to find any information. I realize it's much easier to put in a pillow but real lumbar support is much better for me!

The main things I'm wondering are:
-Can you replace the driver seat with one with lumbar support? (some models had it as far as I understand)
-Where would I find a replacement seat? Junkyards? Online?
-Can a seat from another year X-Type be put in a 2003? I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show around 2007 and was amazed at how comfortable the seat was! If so, which years are compatible?
-If I put in a new seat, will it wire to my car to have proper control of the lumbar?

Thanks! I really appreciate everyone's help!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ReidWings
I have a 2003 X-Type 2.5 with black interior. The driver seat is a power seat, but does not have lumbar control or heat. I'm driving a lot more these days and my back is in desperate need of proper lumbar support! Is there any way to upgrade the seat or replace it? I've been searing online for seats, but can't seem to find any information. I realize it's much easier to put in a pillow but real lumbar support is much better for me!

The main things I'm wondering are:
-Can you replace the driver seat with one with lumbar support? (some models had it as far as I understand)
-Where would I find a replacement seat? Junkyards? Online?
-Can a seat from another year X-Type be put in a 2003? I sat in one at the Detroit Auto Show around 2007 and was amazed at how comfortable the seat was! If so, which years are compatible?
-If I put in a new seat, will it wire to my car to have proper control of the lumbar?

Thanks! I really appreciate everyone's help!
I don't see why you couldn't do an upgrade. Ours has both driver and passenger seat with full power, lumbar and heat. The lumbar control is on the side of the seat with the other seat control. The heat control is on the center control consul on either side of the emergency 4-way flashers, so if those buttons aren't there you might have to find an alternate way to use the heat function of the seat.

Last edited by Green Machine; 08-20-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum ReidWings! I think you will find a lot of people here that are knowledgeable about the cars and will help you out. But, we do ask that you stop by the new member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. This gets you introduced to the movers and shakers of the site. We are a friendly bunch here and as you will find, we are a quite active group. Besides, you may find it beneficial yourself.

In theory any retrofit (i.e. take OEM parts & install them) is possible, but not always straight forward. Here is a picture to get us started;

The lumbar support #9 uses an inflatable bag fitted to the inside of the seat back. It takes power from the seat base, & there's a switch mounted on the plastic trim on the side of the seat.

The OEM seat heater is actually quite special. The temperature is electronically controlled by a module for each front seat. It's not like the aftermarket seat heater kits which have two coils in them, and are simply wired up on/off/both-on. The switches next to the hazard light switch trigger the module function. You could fit aftermarket heater kits, but then you can't use the factory switches.

The "easiest" way would be to find a pair of front seats from a junkyard that that already have the lumbar & heating, & match you interior. But this probably cost you a lot of $$$

Retro-fitting the individual components from other cars (i.e. doesn't matter what color trim or the state of it) will be a much more involved process, but would probably work out cheaper in the end.

I just recently retro-fitted the electric controls to my front passenger seat (now both front seats are electrically adjustable, but no lumbar). It's an involved job but if you're good with re-building cars, not too bad...

Lastly, if you just want to replace a worn-out cushion, it's also possible but a lot of work. One tip from me, reach down under the front cushion of your seat, the leather cover might have just popped out, this makes the seat feel much softer (less supportive) and it's only a matter of clipping the trim back in. Not as easy as it sounds though...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Lcgi (08-22-2011), ReidWings (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks Cambo, that is a very helpful reply! I introduced myself over in the new member forums as you requested as well.

I'm really only in need of the lumbar support as I live in California and definitely don't need the heated seats! If I retrofitted the lumbar support cushion, it would fit with the same seat? There is enough material to support it bulging out or does it have a different seat for this?

In order to retrofit the lumbar support:
-where would I find the part other than junkyards?
-How technically difficult is it to do and where would I find instructions? I'm very handy but not a car expert. I wouldn't mind paying a mechanic to do it for me as well, would they have an easier time doing this? (as long as it's reasonable cost!)

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 PM

I've actually looked into this a bit as well, thought I haven't done any fitting yet and can't confirm if the seats are compatible, I can suggest a very useful website for finding parts at junk yards and recycling centers. Send me a private message as I'm still new to the forum and not sure of the external links policy.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 AM

-where would I find the part other than junkyards?
-How technically difficult is it to do and where would I find instructions? !
Well forget about buying new, huge $$$.
Junkyards are your only shot, unless you can find complete seats on ebay?
Shipping will be a problem for you, but i've been lucky finding stuff on ebay.co.uk

There won't be any instructions for this! But it shouldn't be too complicated...as I said i've already done a seat swap, so could help you a bit...find the parts first, this will be harder than the installation.

Cheers!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
There won't be any instructions for this! But it shouldn't be too complicated...as I said i've already done a seat swap, so could help you a bit...find the parts first, this will be harder than the installation.

Cheers!

Thanks! I'll start looking around junk yards for any seats to salvage the parts. When (if?) I find the appropriate part I'll come back for help! I really appreciate your advice. It was really really helpful

Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Another question as I'm looking around:
Are the 2003 seats the only ones I should be looking at? Or are other year seats compatible as well?

Could I replace a 2003 seat completely with a 2006 seat for instance? Or use the parts from it to install the lumbar?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Reid, have you sat in an X that had the lumbar option it it already? If not, you might want to do that to see if it will feel the way you envision. I know every car is different in how far it expands, where it is located on the seat back, etc. What might feel great to you on one car might not fit you as well in the X. At least that way you aren't doing a lot of searching and maybe spending a lot of money for something that might not satisfy you in the end (pun intended).

Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Reid, have you sat in an X that had the lumbar option it it already? If not, you might want to do that to see if it will feel the way you envision. I know every car is different in how far it expands, where it is located on the seat back, etc. What might feel great to you on one car might not fit you as well in the X. At least that way you aren't doing a lot of searching and maybe spending a lot of money for something that might not satisfy you in the end (pun intended).
I sat in a 2006 (I think?) X-Type with lumbar support and it was amazingly comfortable to me. Did the seats change since 2003 or would that be equivalent?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Subemotion
I've actually looked into this a bit as well, thought I haven't done any fitting yet and can't confirm if the seats are compatible, I can suggest a very useful website for finding parts at junk yards and recycling centers. Send me a private message as I'm still new to the forum and not sure of the external links policy.
I was unable to PM you - it says you cannot receive PMs!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Another question as I'm looking around:
Are the 2003 seats the only ones I should be looking at? Or are other year seats compatible as well?

Could I replace a 2003 seat completely with a 2006 seat for instance? Or use the parts from it to install the lumbar?
The seats will bolt in no problem, but you may have to swap the passenger seat module over (weight sensor calibration for the airbag).

Also note that the trim did change over the years, different patterns in the leather.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM

I was unable to PM you - it says you cannot receive PMs!
Aparently that's a restriction for new members. The site is car-part[dot]com it's a database with plethora of recycling centers and you can search by vin, which will give you all the compatible year models as far as I remember.