Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004, winding sound while car is warming up under gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004, winding sound while car is warming up under gearbox

Hey,

I have an 2004 X-type 3.0 L it has about 83k miles on it. It just started getting pretty chilly (about 15 degrees) in the mornings in eastern Washington, and I made sure I had enough anti freeze, oil, etc. This past week, when I would go outside to start my car, I would start it up just fine, and let it idle for about 5 minutes, then start driving very gently (about 25 mph); when I would be at about 10 MPH, you can hear this consistent winding noise under where the automatic gear shifter is, between the seats. It gets a little louder as I get up to 25 MPH, but then after that, the noise seems to get less loud. After the car gets warmed up, and I've been driving it around for about 15- 20 minutes, the noise goes away seemingly completely. The car drives just fine, like it does in the summer, so it's just the noise. I have all the regular maintenance done on it, and it was just in the jaguar dealership for warranty work 3 months ago (wheel bearings replaced), and they checked everything out.

It just started happening when it got really cold down here.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Search "prop shaft" and see if any of it sounds familiar.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Maybe we need to add this topic to the FAQ sticky, and then bring more attention to the FAQ list sticky or something.

Heck this topic could have its own sticky it's been discussed so much.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If it IS the prop shaft (and it sure sounds like the symptoms) and your car is still under the extended warranty take it in and get it fixed before the warranty runs out. To replace it is about $1000 at the dealer. Not serious, but very annoying. Doesn't take very long to replace either. When mine was done it was just over an hour.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 PM

Hey, the check engine light came on, I had to codes read and I got

P0171 (Fuel Trim System Lean)
P0174 (Fuel Trim Too Lean

And P1111 where I read somewhere that means drive cycle is not complete.

I hear like a constant hissing sound that sounds like there is a leak some where on the Right side of the engine (Right from the drivers seat). I just had the O-Ring "things" replaced that are on the top right side of the engine (from the drivers seat), and are black (2 of them). They were replaced approx. 5k miles ago.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OBD code p1111 means system pass.

The other codes as you point out are realted to system too lean on one bank of cylinders.

I'm wondering if it is the bank of cylinders closest to the firewall... if it is the first problem you described could be this... the sound pentrating thru from beneath the gearshift as this would be the least soundproofed part of your interior... just a thought.

As the car warms up the noise you are hearing ceases as whatever is causing it closes up.
split hose ( a common fault, often temporarily fixed ... by way of diagnosis ... with plastic insulating or gaffer tape ... there is one particular hose that has a tendency to split on the side facing the block and is hard to see).

you mentioned some o ring replacement... were these done correctly as I've encountered o rings before that when final assembly of a part takes place they become misplaced and you can't see, but later feel/hear the effects.

Reading your post again the winding noise.... does it relate strictly to forward motion or engine speed... from your description it does sund like its motion related and therefore on the output side of the drivetrain...
Get your seals, boots and things checked out on your drivetrain.

Mike

Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike S
OBD code p1111 means system pass.

The other codes as you point out are realted to system too lean on one bank of cylinders.

I'm wondering if it is the bank of cylinders closest to the firewall... if it is the first problem you described could be this... the sound pentrating thru from beneath the gearshift as this would be the least soundproofed part of your interior... just a thought.

As the car warms up the noise you are hearing ceases as whatever is causing it closes up.
split hose ( a common fault, often temporarily fixed ... by way of diagnosis ... with plastic insulating or gaffer tape ... there is one particular hose that has a tendency to split on the side facing the block and is hard to see).

you mentioned some o ring replacement... were these done correctly as I've encountered o rings before that when final assembly of a part takes place they become misplaced and you can't see, but later feel/hear the effects.

Reading your post again the winding noise.... does it relate strictly to forward motion or engine speed... from your description it does sund like its motion related and therefore on the output side of the drivetrain...
Get your seals, boots and things checked out on your drivetrain.

Mike
The jaguar dealership installed the O-rings before the old ones needed to be replaced, the dealership mechanic said it was just preventative, and at 80k miles, they were probably going to go bad pretty soon, and to just have them replaced now for $15 or something like that.

The noise occurs in both drive and reverse, it seems to be louder in until about 25-30 MPH, then above that you have to really try to hear it. After the car is all warmed up, you seldom hear the noise.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Both problems will show up when it gets cold. Prop shaft whine will not throw a code. Vacuum leak will. Check that PCV hose for a split if your IMT o-rings have already been replaced. The other culprit could be the brake boost hose at thwe check valve.

I thought all of this was already a sticky/FAQ.