X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 x type 3.0 wont start!

Old 01-21-2017, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 x type 3.0 wont start!

Hi, I was in a minor accident in my 04 jaguar x type 3.0. Accident was very minor, no damage on the outside of vehicle but my steering wheel & footwell airbags deployed. My car won't start now so can someone help me & tell me what I need to do to get my cake running again!! Thanks!

Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

As your airbags deployed I'd say your inertia fuel cut-off switch has tripped as well. My Haynes manual says it's behind driver's side sill trim panel. Caution - this Haynes manual is written for RHD car, so for LHD it's probably on passenger side. When you do find it you push popped button down to reset. Maybe someone else can chime in to verify location. The part number is C2S44918, but I'm unable to find a picture of it.

Last edited by swingwing; 01-21-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Default Have also tried this

I did indeed find the inertia switch on the passenger side behind a panel, I pressed the button & my car still didn't start. One thing I didn't do though is reset my car by unplugging the battery. So might it be that I should unplug my battery to reset the car & then press the inertia switch? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you have an OBD to scan to see what the ECM says, I'm not sure, but for safety When Air bags deployed it might prevented engine to start. or it might kick off throttle position in the gas pedal out of position then engine would not start also.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jagglover
Hi, I was in a minor accident in my 04 jaguar x type 3.0. Accident was very minor, no damage on the outside of vehicle but my steering wheel & footwell airbags deployed. My car won't start now so can someone help me & tell me what I need to do to get my cake running again!! Thanks!
Let's step back OK? Your car have auto or manual transmission? Is your condition Crank No Start or No Crank No Start? Is the Alarm Security light on center console flashing with key in position II? I'm really wondering how you could have airbag deployment without damage to the car as you state.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 PM

I do not have an OBD .

Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by swingwing
Let's step back OK? Your car have auto or manual transmission? Is your condition Crank No Start or No Crank No Start? Is the Alarm Security light on center console flashing with key in position II? I'm really wondering how you could have airbag deployment without damage to the car as you state.
Slight damage to hood & bumper , also there was a coolant leak after collision So it is an automatic transmission. I meant to imply that there was some slight damage to the front so here's a picture of it. When the collision happened, there was anti freeze leaking all over the street. But as you can see there is no MAJOR damage to the front. The car cranks but there is no start. The security light does flash in the middle console when in position II

Old 01-21-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
Do you have an OBD to scan to see what the ECM says, I'm not sure, but for safety When Air bags deployed it might prevented engine to start. or it might kick off throttle position in the gas pedal out of position then engine would not start also.
No I do not have an OBD

Old 01-22-2017, 08:33 AM

Damage estimate is relative, and you're going to need to get your insurance adjuster involved here. Your insurance carrier may well want to total this car because of what's behind the bumper, hood and blown airbags. I don't think your car is driveable because of radiator damage, plus there's a security system issue. Let us know what happens, OK?

Last edited by swingwing; 01-22-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by swingwing
Damage estimate is relative, and you're going to need to get your insurance adjuster involved here. Your insurance carrier may well want to total this car because of what's behind the bumper, hood and blown airbags. I don't think your car is driveable because of radiator damage, plus there's a security system issue. Let us know what happens, OK?
i don't have insurance on this car. I'm just trying to fix it. So are you telling me that the car is not fixable? You can't replace the radiator?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM

Nope, not saying car can't be fixed. There's innumerable cars that have been brought driveable after a collision. Your challenge is how much damage there is, your skill level and budget. I recently replaced my radiator, so maybe my post of the job will give you an idea of what's involved:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-174689/

Note from my pictures that the AC condenser and coolers for PS fluid and ATF are mounted in front of the radiator. Your radiator damage may not be all. You won't know until you get the car up, remove the front bumper and start exam of the patient. Good luck. The fact that car is uninsured changes the picture. Just so you know all the possibilities, here's a good video about stripping an X-Type for parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ECB-Nyx2bo&t=16s

Last edited by swingwing; 01-22-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added sentences and video.