X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type 3.0 Won't Start, Stuck in Park, How Get Into Neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type 3.0 Won't Start, Stuck in Park, How Get Into Neutral?

Hi all,

Short Version of question:

Where is the switch for a 2004 Jaguar X-Type to move into neutral for towing? (It's stuck in park)

Long Version:

Few weeks ago our Jaguar 2004 X type won't start -- turn key, everything on dash lights up, but nothing happens (no clicking or anything). Jumping/charging battery doesn't work. Try different things for a week. Take battery to shop they test and say fine. Right after putting back battery call tow truck. Spend 15 minutes with very nice driver on phone with the mechanic trying to find switch and I turn key to see if brake lights come on and voila -- it starts!

Drive to mechanic -- they can't replicate problem (starts fine every day for week) so drive it back. Before I left I asked mechanic where switch is to move into neutral in case it happens in future and says actually have to remove battery to get down in engine and switch manually.

Two days later, won't start again -- same exact thing. And still isn't starting now a week later. I found these threads on this forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x-type-21272/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ut-park-76907/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ossible-58038/

They seem relevant (particularly Anti.0's comment on first one, since the car seemed to start after battery removed and replaced since we took it to have it tested), but if that's it, why does it keep happening?

And I'm curious if maybe mechanic just didn't know about the switch (tow truck guy and mechanics were on phone 15 minutes looking for it)?

So if you know of switch or place to find instructions for doing this so I can get it towed (seems like if we need to remove battery will need to do ourselves before truck comes) and also ANY advice/suggestions on fixing this ourselves/directing mechanics in the right way would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!

BTW: We don't park on an incline and our city is flat -- noticed this problem does happen to people on inclines but seems to be other reasons, maybe?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 PM

BTW: The reason I asked about the switch location is that I noticed the 2002 XType does have a switch, so really just hoping that somehow there is one with the 2004 (seems crazy not to have one).

Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a wild guess about the car not starting, but I would say the computer is not getting the correct security code from your key. Is the key or the steering wheel lock cylinder damaged in any way? Do you have the spare key to try?

The following users liked this post:
mmoriarty (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

To get out of Park manually, first remove the wood trim around the gear lever (Open the ashtray, use fingertips to lift the front edge, rear will follow), then look down the lefthand side of the J Gate. Now, normally, with the ignition on, every time the brake pedal is pressed, the small black disc (About 3/4 inch dia) with two small lugs sticking out, rotates about 30 degrees. That releases the lock, so if you have a suitable thin rod to hand, use it to turn the disc manually you can pull the gear lever back. Have a look when it is working and you'll see the disc move and therefore what you have to replicate.

The following 3 users liked this post by astromorg:
henry k (11-01-2012), Lcgi (11-01-2012), mmoriarty (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Thank you both so much! I wonder about the key -- we recently got the auto-key working again after a long time not working (unfortunately, I lost the spare so I can't test). And thank you so much about the instructions for the switch --really appreciate it.

On the key, do you know of another way to test without the spare? Or are we stuck taking it to a dealer?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM

BTW: Do you think the key might work sometimes and not others off-and-on? And maybe just coincidence worked whole time at the mechanics? (I've actually been thinking it's something relating to us starting to park it outside instead of in the garage -- dew/rain or something).

Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM

BTW: When I turn the key it does beep. I can turn to the various stages and it does work/beep -- radio comes on, etc. It's just when the last stage to turn on it beeps/all lights up but engine won't start.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately I am not a Jaguar expert. I know on my firebird that if the key or cylinder is damaged and the computer does not get the right resistance code, the ignition is disabled. Everything will work correctly, but there will be no start, no crank, or anything like that. The car will just sit there. I can only imagine that the Jaguar may act the same.

A dealer my be able to look up your key and resistor by VIN, and make a duplicate. Again, sorry that I don't know for sure. Just guessing at this point.

The following users liked this post:
mmoriarty (11-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:02 PM

Remove the wood grain from around the shift lever
On the driver side there is a small black wingnut with screwdriver push it foward and BOOM! Pull shift lever out of park.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Angry 2004 jaguar x type 3.0

I'm having the same problems, can someone please help!?
Car won't start and can't figure out why... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Block, there could be many reasons why your car will not start and with the limited information you provided it doesn't give much to go on. Could be as simple as you need a new battery to a bad fuel pump.

My best suggestion would be for you to start a new thread and describe your situation in more detail. Was the car running just fine and now will not start? Does it turn over or is everything completely dead? Any check engine light on before or any other driveability issues? Any recent work done? get the idea?

If it was running fine and now all of a sudden it will not start probably the most likely place to start would be to get the battery load tested or if it is a little old just replace it. I'm sure it can be sorted out pretty easily here with a little more information.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same.

Same. My 04 3.0 has been at a local store x 2 days with same situation any updates?