X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type PCV Hose/ Status.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type PCV Hose/ Status.

I was just looking to take a pic of my MAF & I noticed the PCV hose. I looked at it & it looks fine. Well, I lifted it up & lo & behold, I noticed a hole had be caused by rubbing with the hose guide on the plastic engine cover. I'm going to tape it for now & see what happens with my 171/174 codes. They have not returned.

I was waiting for the real cold temps to return as it seemed to be only then my CEL came on. I am planning to do it all in about a week when all the parts come in. Buying the Felpro upper & lower gaskets didn't cost much from Advance Auto with their promotions and free shipping. Got the spark plugs there at a discount and there is also a manufacturer rebate on each plug. lol

I'm doing the fuel filter as well. Advance wanted about $15 for the tool. Amazon only $6 and change with free shipping. Jaguarparts.com turned out to be the best price for the IMT o-rings which are $14-15 on Ebay push $9.99 shipping.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Backhertz, if you found that hose split, that will definitely give you the P0171/0174 codes. I bet you will find that after you get a good hose there, you will not have those codes any more. Granted, if you have all the other stuff and feel a little adventurous, it is not going to hurt to install it.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM

I'm surprised I didn't notice the problem upon my first inspection. I have new o-rings and gaskets on their way which I got at a significant discount. I've always been a believer/practicer in preventive maintenance. So I don't see any problem with taking off the intake and replacing parts that will eventually fail.

The last time I got stuck on the road with a car was in 1975 as my wife & I were driving from NJ to CT for a holiday. It was in a VW Rabbit & the ballast resistor went which stranded us about 3 miles from home. It was from that day that I started doing my own maintenance as I swore I'd never break down again & not have a clue of where to begin.

So since my CEL light first came on, it's cost me under $200 for a battery to replace my 9 year old battery along with IMT seals, intake manifold gaskets, MAF cleaner, fuel filter, and spark plugs. My dealership quoted me $225 for the battery alone. Fortunately I stumbled onto this forum!

Oh, today I bent the fuel door spring and the door now opens when I lift the handle. So by the end of next week, I hope to have all the stuff done.

Thanks everybody.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM

My new air filter came in the mail today so I replaced it and also cleaned the MAF. A piece of cake. I had confused the throttle body with the body the MAF is mounted. So it appeared to me that there might be two MAFs…<cue: what was I thinking?>

My fuel filter release tool came. Got it on Amazon for $6 & free shipping vs $15 at Advance Auto. So I'll replace the fuel filter once the new one comes. I'm hoping the weather stays nice as I do not look forward to working in the snow when I remove/replace the intake gaskets- but they, along with the sparks & plugs as my wife always called them, can wait till Spring. I'll just replace the IMT o-rings & the hose off the PCV with the tiny hole.

It seems it was a design issue on the plastic engine cover. It has a nice cutout for the hose to rest on, but there are two sharp corners- on of which wore through the hose. I'm going to use my Dremel tool and grind the edges off. It's like a problem just waiting to happen in 65K miles or 8-9 years time of the engine running & slowly wearing a hole into the hose.

Well, so far so good. I want to thank everyone on the forum. But before I take a bow, I will wait until the really cold wx comes and see if my cold wx theory has any effect. I got my snowblower ready today. So that might mean we get no more snow this year- I'm not sure. Last year I had no opportunity to use it. I purchased after a freak snow storm in Oct 2011. I started it one time and then I only emptied the gas out of it in the Spring. So will see…

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM

I am declaring my P0174/176 fault cleared. The cause? The large hose running from the PCV to the intake manifold rubber through the sharp corner on the plastic engine cover to keep the hose in place. If you have an X-Type with this hose set up, I recommend removing the sharp corners on the engine cover guide and you will have one less potential problem waiting to happen.

I changed my air intake filter & also cleaned my MAF. Today I drove to/from CT and drove 312 miles. I have a quarter tank left with a 99 mile range left. I've never had mileage this good. Often times I'd have to get gas on the NJ Turnpike on the return trip to NJ.

I am happy. I have IMT o-rings & intake manifold gaskets & spark plugs, and a fuel filter coming.

Changing the batter cleared my DSC fault, The Actron 9125 for cheap got my CEL codes read & allowed me to clear them. The cheap read I bought for $19 from Amazon wouldn't left me clear the code- perhaps the battery issue had something to do with that.

Anyhow the car was a pleasure to drive and I seem to get better gas mileage which I contribute the new air cleaner filter, MAF cleaning, & taping the hole in the vacuum hose of the PCV. The hole was on the underside of the hose & I missed it the first time.

Thanks all for your help.

Tony

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced my IMT o rings last weekend and went to the Jaguar dealership (Cleveland, OH) expecting to drop a couple twenty dollar bills. Believe it or don't, for both it was only $7.86! Nice and helpful parts clerk too...

Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 PM

That's where I believe I got my parts on-line. I dealt with Jake. I believe might be the dealership I bought my car from in 8/2005. It was a 2004.5 X-Type Sport that was in the showroom and not on the Jaguar dealership computer network for some reason. I posted a request on JagTalk and one of the member said he had just seen one & was ogling over the BBS wheels. I didn't care for the wheels, I just called, flew to Cleveland & drove it back home. Ford was running a special through the X Plan that reduced the cost by around $10K. I couldn't resist. Ended up with an all black cat. It's still a pleasure to drive!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 AM

My Jaguar parts came today. As I pulled in the driveway, the CEL came on. A P0171 only followed by a P0171Pd- passed and a P1000. Does the Pd indicate passed? I replaced the IMT o-rings and the PVC hose. I learned the old PCV hose only had a tiny chuck missing- not a hole . I replaced the hose anyway.

So I'm not sure other than the cleaning of the MAF helped. Today we had sub 10 degree F temps, and the IMT assys easily came out, but tightly went back in. I simply stretched the new IMT o-ring over the lower IMT assy.

I bent my fuel door striker spring in the shape of the new one. It works fine now. I have my intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs, spark plugs and a fuel filter.

Last night I discovered a flat on the rear driver wheel. At a -15 degree F wind chill, I spent what seemed to be forever to remove the 18" BBS wheel/rim off the car. The wheel would move about 1/16" when I move it, but it would not come off over the threaded studs until I played with it until I lost feeling in my finger tips.

Brought it into the kitchen to find a tiny slash usind Windex as I couldn;t find a typical nail or screw.. I used a plug-in strip to seal it. I had a medical appt in AM and didn't want to mess around as I'd prefer a patch inside the tire. I kept the wheel in the house over night and it slipped right on this morning. Does anyone spray anything on the metal around the wheel studs? I noticed a lot of rust & have had problems in the past with other vehicles which the wheel has rusted to the axel.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 X-Type PCV Hose/ Status.-imag0398.jpg