X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 jaguar x-type

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 jaguar x-type

Driving at 35 mph or more applying the brake the vehicle surges foreword without initial braking

Old 07-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

So, you mean when driving at that speed or above, and you put your foot in the brake instead of DEcelerating the car instead goes faster? I can't imagine a scenario where that ie even physically possible. Could it be the accelerator sticking and not releasing when you take your foot off of it? Or is the car new to you? If so, is it possible you are not putting your foot on the brake and could possibly still be activating the accelerator?

Can you detail your situation a little better? What do you mean by surging? Does the car still stop? If so, is teh engine revving real high? Does it do it all the time or just in certain situations? Are there any lights on the dash? Has any work been recently done to the car?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Yeah, mine has done that a few times. There is even some complaints with NHTSB about it. It feels like you were "2 foot" driving with one foot on brake and other foot accelerating. Its an odd feeling. Pedal does not stick or anything. The car just increases r.p.m. against your braking. It's never done it from highway speed to stop. Only slower town or parking lot driving.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

NHTSA ID Number: 10660432

Incident Date September 5, 2014

Consumer Location CENTREVILLE, VA

Vehicle Identification Number SAJWA51A66W****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

IN TWO OCCASIONS THE VEHICLE HAS ACCELERATED WITH NO APPARENT REASON AFTER THE BRAKES WHERE APPLIED. IN THE LATEST INCIDENT I WAS PARKING THE VEHICLE IN A FAST-FOOD RESTAURANT WHEN IT HAPPENED, THANKFULLY NO OTHER CARS WHERE AFFECTED BY THE INCIDENT. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE HAS BEEN A RECALL RELATED WITH THIS TYPE OF OCCURRENCE

NHTSA ID Number: 10680055

Incident Date August 16, 2014

Consumer Location SANTA MONICA, CA

Vehicle Identification Number SAJWA51A56W****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES1

DEATHS0

AS MY WIFE WAS EXITING THE FREEWAY SHE PRESSED ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED CAUSING A MAJOR CRASH (TOTALED) AND SERIOUS INJURIES. SHE TRIED PUMPING THE BRAKES AND COULD NOT SLOW THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE BEHIND HER REPORTED IN THE POLICE REPORT THAT THE CAR ON THE EXIT RAMP DECELERATED AND SUDDENLY ACCELERATED. THERE WAS A RED LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EXIT RAMP, HER FOOT WAS NOT ON THE GAS PEDAL NOR DID THE CAR MATS INTERFERE WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL. NO ONE ELSE WAS IN THE VEHICLE. THE BRAKES WERE VERY WELL MAINTAINED. A SEARCH OF THE INTERNET INDICATED 2003/2006 JAGUAR X-TYPE HAD ACCELERATION PROBLEMS WITH OTHER DRIVERS PRESSING ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. I CAN EMAIL YOU MY SEARCH RESULTS IF YOU SO DESIRE.

THE AIR BAG WAS ONLY DEPLOYED ON THE PASSENGER SIDE
NHTSA ID Number: 10680055

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES1

DEATHS0

AS MY WIFE WAS EXITING THE FREEWAY SHE PRESSED ON THE BRAKE PEDAL AND THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED CAUSING A MAJOR CRASH (TOTALED) AND SERIOUS INJURIES. SHE TRIED PUMPING THE BRAKES AND COULD NOT SLOW THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE BEHIND HER REPORTED IN THE POLICE REPORT THAT THE CAR ON THE EXIT RAMP DECELERATED AND SUDDENLY ACCELERATED. THERE WAS A RED LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EXIT RAMP, HER FOOT WAS NOT ON THE GAS PEDAL NOR DID THE CAR MATS INTERFERE WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL. NO ONE ELSE WAS IN THE VEHICLE. THE BRAKES WERE VERY WELL MAINTAINED. A SEARCH OF THE INTERNET INDICATED 2003/2006 JAGUAR X-TYPE HAD ACCELERATION PROBLEMS WITH OTHER DRIVERS PRESSING ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. I CAN EMAIL YOU MY SEARCH RESULTS IF YOU SO DESIRE.

THE AIR BAG WAS ONLY DEPLOYED ON THE PASSENGER SIDE

NHTSA ID Number: 10640301

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES1

DEATHS0

TL* THE CONTACT OWNED A 2006 JAGUAR X-TYPE. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 55 MPH, THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL WAS APPLIED. AS A RESULT, THE CONTACT CRASHED THE VEHICLE INTO A WALL. THE PASSENGER SIDE DASHBOARD AIR BAG WAS THE ONLY AIR BAG THAT DEPLOYED. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THE CONTACT SUSTAINED TWO BROKEN RIBS, LACERATIONS THAT REQUIRED STITCHES, AND BRUISES TO THE EYE AND BODY THAT REQUIRED MEDICAL ATTENTION. THE VEHICLE WAS DESTROYED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 68,000

NHTSA ID Number: 10629346

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES1

DEATHS0

I WAS TRAVELLING ON THE FREEWAY AT 55 MPH, AS I EXITED AND TOUCHED THE BRAKES THE CAR WOULD NOT SLOW DOWN, THE CAR GAINED SPEED, I PUMPED THE BRAKES AND THE CAR CONTINUED TO GO FASTER, THE CAR WAS OUT OF CONTROL AND

CRASHED INTO A WALL. I WAS SERIOUSLY INJURED AND FORTUNATELY NO ONE ELSE OR OTHER VEHICLE WAS INVOLVED. I AM LUCKY TO BE ALIVE. JUST PRIOR TO IMPACT I TURNED THE WHEEL TO THE LEFT CAUSING THE CAR TO HIT THE RIGHT FRONT FIRST THEN THE CAR FLIPPED OVER. ONLY THE PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG DEPLOYED. THE BRAKES WERE FAIRLY NEW WITH 70% BRAKE LINING REMAINING AND THE BRAKES HAD BEEN INSPECTED ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT.

IT APPEARS TO BE A COMBINATION SPEED ACCELERATION AND BRAKE FAILURE

Old 07-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Can't say I have heard of that in an X-Type, certainly have never seen any posts on here of intended accerleration and I have been on here about 9 years. I wonder if that is soemthing that only affects automatic transmissions. That never happened to me, but I had a manual.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

This is sorta interesting =

USA TODAY 5:15 pm EDT March 28, 2013
A multistate lawsuit filed Thursday says 2002-10 Ford Motor vehicles contain a "design defect" in the electronic control of the gas pedals, making them susceptible to sudden, unintended acceleration. The lawsuit filed on behalf of Ford owners in 14 states is seeking class-action status and goes into great detail about the alleged defect in the models named in the lawsuit that don't have brake override technology. That technology stops the car if both the brake and the gas pedal are activated at the same time. Ford began installing it, known as "brake over accelerator," in all vehicles it makes in 2010.
MY COMMENTARY HERE = IF there was no problem, why would Fird begin installing this on EVERY car they make (nite:EVERY car). Automakers NEVER install non money making stuff, lol.

"For too long, Ford has put its own financial interests ahead of its consumers' safety," says Chicago-based attorney Adam Levitt, one of the lawyers leading the litigation. "We hope this lawsuit sheds light on this important situation and requires Ford to correct its ways, compensate its customers and put them first."

Attorneys for the plaintiffs are seeking compensatory damages for the lost value of the affected cars -- the difference between what they paid for the cars vs. the value of the defective vehicles. The lawsuit also asks Ford to "fix the problem."

A review of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's data shows complaints regarding sudden acceleration in Ford vehicles (including Lincolns and Mercurys) soared from 2005 to 2007, with injuries due to sudden acceleration at their highest rates from 2004 to 2006. "It's easy not to believe sudden acceleration exists unless you're behind the wheel when it takes off," says West Virginia plaintiff lawyer Niall Paul.

"Ford has a long history of these cars taking off in various points," says Edgar "Hike" Heiskell, a West Virginia plaintiff lawyer involved in the litigation. "It's obviously a dangerous situation."

Anyone remember the 8 MILLION cars Toyota/Lexus recalled for this same thing?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

WOW!! Here's a plethora of other copy/paste incidents.

https://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/71...automatic.html

Old 07-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi don't know if it's the same problem but I find a similar situation.
I find the accelerator pedal on my X type to be very high almost inline with the brake pedal and very close to it. Occasionally when braking The edge of my braking foot also presses on the very sensitive accelerator pedal. Fortunately the clutch is also depressed so no harm done but you foreign folk with strange auto boxes would be in trouble.

Last edited by DUNKS; 07-03-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I left foot brake in my auto XJS so not a problem.
However, in the (manual) X Type I do catch the throttle pedal with my braking foot (occasionally) if I am wearing the wrong shoes; just means the engine screams like a banshee as I slow down.
This thread problem sounds really nasty and I don't think that it has anything to do with wearing clown shoes.
Has there been any resolution to the problem?
It has to be software related.
Brake servo causing an incorrect signal to the cruise control?
My XJS cruise control will only accelerate, albeit slowly and there is no software involved as such.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

I do believe that there are instances (auto manufacturers blame ALL) of hitting the brake and accelerator at the same time. I know it sounds strange, but from a youth I trained myself to accelerate and when braking to lift foot off and over to the brake pedal. Not doing what most automatic transmission drivers do and "swivel" foot from acceleration to braking. Btw, this also wears the living daylight out of the heels on your shoes and sometimes the back of the leather (particularly if you drive millions of miles as I have done).

I just know for sure my Jag has reved when stopping. A couple of times, I was fortunate to be in a parking lot and actually took foot off brake a few times. THINK = sliding on ice pumping brake of old. During that very brief pumping action, the car continued an acceleration curve (not fast, slow, fast, slow) which would be the case if I was hitting both pedals. I've had people in the car when it's happened and they have even remarked "what the H was that?"

The following users liked this post:
gkubrak (01-28-2020)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

I got to thinking of why I do drive like that. I think it's because I grew up on a farm and ranch. My Dad made blocks of wood for the pedals so I could drive the vehicles. I was only 5 when I started. I remember putting the truck in "granny" while Dad threw hay to the stock and going up a small hill not giving it sufficient gas. It started lurching a bunch and threw Dad out of the back of the truck. I just kept going!! :-) :-) :-)

Old 01-25-2021, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden and Unexpected acceleration when applying brake

Hello All. I'm new to this forum. Thank you for all the info and help!
I have experienced "Sudden and Unintended acceleration while applying brakes".
2004 X-Type 3.0L V6. The problem is real and dangerous.
It happened twice. The first time when at a complete stop and the brake pedal applied, the rpm suddenly surged to very high and the engine rev'ed up.
The second time, when applying brakes to slow down as I was approaching a red light. I'm afraid of driving the car now.
Both times, I know I did Not clip the gas dedal while applying brakes. It is not a driver's error. I am sure I was applying the brake pedal only without touching the gas pedal and that the floor mats did not interfere and accidentally pushed the gas pedal. I am not a new driver and I have done some mechanical work on my cars over the years.
It feels as if the Cruise Control suddenly engaged and is trying to bring the vehicle's speed to a higher speed and therefore engaging full throttle.
Has anyone found a fix? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.