X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light and Check engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS light and Check engine

2003 X-Type 3.0 automatic transmission. MyABS light comes and goes intermittently. Sometimes the check engine light willcome on and sometimes it will not. I haven't been able to find a pattern. Itook it to a shop which ran a diagnostic and said they were not picking up anyfaults, but the right rear speed sensor had a smooth spot as though it had beenrubbed and the right rear tone ring had a crack so it could be a combination ofthe two. Well $200 for the diagnostic and $200 to replace the speed sensor andI'm still getting an intermittent fault. They say I now need to replace therear axle but it is $900 for the part from Jaguar. I've seen rebuilds for $200so I thought I would just do this myself. Is there anything else I can trybefore I pull the rear CV out? Is it possible the battery is causing this withuneven currents or is there some other simple way to find out what's wrong?Occasionally I will hear a grinding noise as I turn hard right at slow speeds,but no mechanic has been able to duplicate this.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JD, if the CEL light is coming on, then a code is being stored in the computer. I would stop by the local auto parts store and see if they can read the codes for you. That will help narrow down where the problem lies.

Making an assumption that your problem is in the right rear, I would first start with replacing the hub assembly (atleast the wheel bearing). Get the new sensor ring in the car to toss that out of the possibilities. Based on what you are seeing (the wear spot on the sensor), it is very possible the ring is damaging things. As you are in there doing the bearing, I would do a close inspection of the plug to the speed sensor and the wiring between the plug and the body of the car. This wiring can become damaged and ground out, leading to the computer seeing a loss of the signal and therefore deciding that the sensor has died, giving you a code. But, you wiggle the wire some (say from hitting a bump) and the ground can go away, restoring the signal and all is good as the computer sees it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Thermo, Thanks for the response. Can the sensorring be replaced independent of the rear CV? I was told the whole thing was oneunit and if the ring went bad the whole thing had to be replaced. I’ve checkedthe wiring and it’s good as far as I can see.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JD, I know the ring is part of a larger assembly, but i thought it was the wheel bearing. But, it may be the CV axle. If you do some looking, others have replaced the ring and they listed what part they replaced.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JD,

You don't have to replace the entire CV shaft...I ordered just the rings from some place in England...I think I found them on an Ebay listing...the whole thing should run about 15 bucks shipped per ring...in fact here's a link to the listing. What you are describing sounds eerily familiar and I wrestled with that problem for a long time...It seems like one of your sensors is in the midst of failing...I too took it in the shop and after they had the car for a few days they couldn't seem to get their %$#@ together and said "we don't know"...of course this is after they bragged and bragged about how cool they were...sorry getting off track...anyway the sensor eventually failed altogether and I luckily gained access to a decent scan tool and the problem was solved for a 1/4 of the price. I had also worn a a flat spot on one of the rear sensors because of the faulty rings so I was sure that that was the culprit...but in fact it wasn't...it turned out to be the front driver side (which I had already replaced but it was a DOA part...unbelievable) no way in hell I could've figured it out without a scan tool. Thermo is right about the code being stored...so it should be there...just make sure you find someone with a decent scan tool and you're good to go!

Jaguar x Type ABS Ring ABS Reluctor Ring Driveshaft ABS Ring | eBay

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Had the codes read and it came up with a C1165 so right rearspeed sensor fault. I still can't figure out how to replace just the speedsensor ring, I've looked at the great article in the sticky on replacing the CVjoint, but if the speed sensor ring is removable I would have to take at leastthe outer CV joint off and I'm thinking at that point I might as well replacethe whole thing. Any thoughts?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDBarrister
Had the codes read and it came up with a C1165 so right rearspeed sensor fault. I still can't figure out how to replace just the speedsensor ring, I've looked at the great article in the sticky on replacing the CVjoint, but if the speed sensor ring is removable I would have to take at leastthe outer CV joint off and I'm thinking at that point I might as well replacethe whole thing. Any thoughts?

Hey JD...you'll have to pull the shaft out of the car but you can just pop the old ring off...clean the rust off the "ring" part of the shaft and install the new rings and reinsert the shaft...its pretty easy actually..or you can buy new half shafts but unless they are bad then you're just throwing money out the window IMO. Hope this helps

Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Hada moment this weekend to pull the rear tire and look at the reluctor ring. Iwas surprised had how visible it is back in there. I was able to spritz alittle WD-40 in there and rubbed it a little while still in place and lo andbehold the ABS light disappeared and hasn’t been back for 2 days now. Imaginehow dangerous I could be if I actually took time to wire brush it and putsilicone lube on it. Maybe that will solve my problem. Thanks for all the help,now I at least know what the problem is and how to address it if the lightreturns.

The following users liked this post:
DragonKat (09-25-2013)