X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aloha, new X-Type manual trans owner in Hawaii, and what have I gotten myself into?

Old 11-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Aloha, new X-Type manual trans owner in Hawaii, and what have I gotten myself into?

Aloha from Honolulu everyone. I made a bit of an impulse buy this weekend and picked up a 2002 X-Type 3.0l sport package manual transmission car that's definitely in need of some TLC! Possible not the smartest move on my part, but I'm a sucker for sad orphan cars and there can't be too many of the manual transmission cars left around. I included a pic of the CL ad since I thought some of you might get a kick out of it. It's a little sadder in person, but my first step is getting it running right. It's in limp home mode now, has a bit of a lumpy at idle, but the engine actually feels pretty smooth going down the road. I did some basic checks after doing some research, no vacuum leaks at the PCV or brake booster line and OBDII shows a steady 20lbs of vacuum so I don't think that's the issue (I'll replace the IMT o-rings anyway though). From the fault codes below is this likely just needing a new coil on #5? And cylinder 5 is in the rear bank closest to the US driver side, right (definitely some mixed info on that out there)? Anything else I should look at while I'm in there or that could be causing this?

Thanks!

A

Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

XTypeHI, aloha. Welcome to the ohana. As you have probably found out, there is lots of good information here. Please stop by the New Member Section and tell us a little bit more about yourself. We like to share the ohana and this will give you a chance to meet the ohana too.

As for your problem, start with first just checking the plug well. With that year car, it is possible that you simply have a bad valve cover gasket and you are going to find a little bit of oil in the plug well. I double checked myself (I have been known to give out the wrong information when it comes to the cylinders), you are correct in that #5 cylinder is the back side cylinder nearest the brake booster for your car. Also, check the top of the coil to see if you spot any "white hairs" in the top. These are actually cracks and that is a sign that the coil is shot. I would also say to move #5 to the #1 spot so if you do have a bad coil, the #1 spot is easy to change and will confirm a bad coil.

Since you are into the engine that far, it will be well worth your money (about $25) to get new upper intake gaskets. The 6 that are there may be just fine, but some people feel it best to replace them. They are re-useable, but over time, they will deform and can lead to problems. Another "good to do thing" is to also replace the lower intake gaskets. It will add about 45 minutes to the overall job, but will ensure you won't have problems in the future. If you go to your local auto parts store, they are going to tell you that they most likely don't have these gaskets. Tell them to look up the gaskets for an "03 Lincoln LS with the 3.0L engine". These parts happen to be the same as what was used on the Jag. They will have these. The lowers are also about $25. Between swapping around the coils, doing the new intake gaskets, and the IMT valve o-rings, you should be good.

The other thing I would tell you to look at is the hose between the PCV valve and the intake. If the hose is smooth, I would recommend replacing it with the upgraded hose (new one is ribbed). If you have the smooth hose, you are on borrowed time. It tends to split on the under side where it goes over a support. You can normally feel the split if you wrap your hand around the hose and feel on the underside (in the middle). But, that is not always a good check. Removing the hose is the best way. The split will be obvious. You can do a temp fix by simply wrapping it in electrical tape till you can get the correct hose in.

I used to live on the island many years ago (left in late 2005). I was back there a year ago. Always loved traveling up near where you live and then on up to Waipahu and further north. You do have a rare kitty there. Not many had manuals. We can get the kitty running nicely for you.

The following users liked this post:
XtypeHI (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 PM

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, Thermo! I've got a new coil and gaskets on the way and will post how it goes. Great to hear about your time in the Aloha State. I bet it felt like Oahu changed a lot between 2005 and last year. Let me know if you ever make it back out here.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

XTypeHI, I do want to make it out that way yet again. But, this time, I am going to be island hopping. I got to do a day over in Lahaina and boy was that nice. Definitely different than anywhere on Oahu. Gotta love the phrase "Don't worry Brah, be here in 2 weeks" as the general answer to everything. Atleast they admit that nothing happens quick there. It was just the speed I needed at that moment.

I did a lot with a Ford Truck World group while I was there.My truck was pretty memorable as it was one of only 2 lifted expeditions I saw on the island. The other was the initial truck used to make the himalayan Ford Expedition (they made 2, one to work out the bugs, one for the show truck). Granted, the guy that bought the other lifted Expedition was having a hell of a time getting it registered because of the RECON law. Between the lift and modifying the body to give it the "Bronco open back" look, he was spending a lot of time trying to get documents and whatnot saying that the truck was as safe as it was bone stock. I don't think he had too good of luck.

If you have more questions let me know. I will do what I can.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran member

This is what the show truck looked like:

The one he had was painted a dark blue as I recall. Granted, you couldn't have paid me to drive that show truck that Ford had. They did a lot of goofey things to it. They put on a decent lift kit, but then they put some high offset wheels on it and make it work by putting on some large spacers (4" deep as I recall). Kinda like you look at the exhaust system and you see 4 tail pipes sticking out the back. yep, it was 4 tail pipes, no piping running to them. They had cut the exhaust off short (by the axle) and added the tips to give the illusion that it had a really nice exhaust system. Atleast the body work was done nicely. It was all show and no go.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Thermo, I'll keep my eye out for those Expeditions - I don't think I've seen the show truck or I would have remembered it!

I'm happy to report the X-Type is up and running, thanks again for the tips. It just needed the coil, and I went ahead and replaced the upper intake and ITM gaskets and PCV valve. The right valve cover breather hose was also broken so I got a new on of those. I also checked all the fluids, the infamous transfer case was actually fine but the gearbox was almost empty - yikes! Hopefully no long term harm. I got my inspection and registration so now I'm going to put a few miles on it before next steps. I can already tell the right bank catalytic converter is rattling (presumably trashed from running with a dead coil), there's a slight burning oil smell I think just from a VC gasket, there's a small coolant leak in the valley under the intake, and it could use new shocks/struts. So all that should keep me busy before tackling paint, and I'll no doubt be posting some questions to the forum!

Old 12-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Congratulations, you have a rare beats. Plenty of manuls with the 2.5 liter engine, but not many with teh 3.0 liter. Hope you get everything sorted out soon and you have good luck with it,

Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

XtypeH1,good to hear you got the kitty purring again. You won't find the white Hym Expedition. That is somewhere in California the last I knew. But, the blue one is there on Oahu (atleast as of 2005). It is easy to spot the lifted Expedition as it is probably the only lifted expedition on the island.

If you need more assistance, let me or the group know. We can get you past most problems. As for the oil smell, if you recently did an oil change, you may have a little bit of oil on the exhaust header on the front side of the engine. This is a common issue with the XType and will go away after about 50 miles of driving.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Just to essentially wrap this thread up, with plenty of time on my hands under the Covid-19 lockdown I finally got around to finishing this project with a home paint job. This board's help has been tremendous in fixing up this car mechanically and addressing issues as they arose. I now consider the project "done" though I'll likely change the wheel color at some point too.

For anyone curious about the paint work, I used a basic 20 gallon compressor, Eastwood paint gun designed for low air usage, and a body moisture control system with a 20ft copper tube coil running through a bucket of cold water into a moisture separator - so essentially as cheap a set up as I could get away with. I also painted it in my dusty carport. Overall I'm happy with the job and I think it shows a quality paint job can be done at home and on a budget. The key is knowing you'll have to fully wet sand and buff the paint job to remove the inevitable orange peel, dry spots, and dust, which is a very long and tedious process. It's not perfect, I especially should have fully stripped the hood, and you can see some sanding marks in certainly light so I should have used a more aggressive buffing pad and compound, but especially for a black paint job which shows absolutely every flaw I'm very happy with it.

Additional pics can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/Z1cWw1Y

Hope everyone else is keeping well and able to find time for some car projects.

The following 4 users liked this post by XtypeHI:
max224 (04-28-2020), RudyF6 (04-28-2020), watto700 (04-28-2020), Yorta2 (04-28-2020)