Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Thermo bright idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Default Another Thermo bright idea

I have been doing a little bit of looking into an idea that I have and this has me thinking. I am thinking about ripping the side mirrors off of the car!!!!!!!! Yep, gone!!!!! leaving the side of the car with no ears as some might think of it. Now, before you go "that is going to be illegal as .....", don't worry, I have that covered. What I am envisioning is getting a set of low profile cameras with say a 170 degree field of view and then mounting 2 screens (say something in the 4-5" range) in the corners where the A-pillar meets the dash (possibly up higher if it makes a bit more sense). You would still have the rear view that you are required to have and one of the bonuses would be you could get a camera with some IR LEDs that would aid with night time visability. I think it would be something very interesting to do.

In theory, you could probably even wire it up in a way that would allow you to actually mount 4 cameras to the vehicle (an additional one under the front bumper/behind the grille and a second tucked up under the lip of the license plate piece). Then having all 4 cameras tied to a digital video recorder (DVR) to record the action around you, with 2 being displayed on the small monitors acting as you side mirrors. That way, if you get involved in a wreck, when the cop asks "what happened", you can simply pull out your phone, wifi into the DVR, and let the cop see for himself. Most of the automotive DVRs have a built in shock sensor that will lock the last 2 (up to 5) minutes of video into a non-deletable file.

What you think? I am thinking this would be a bit cleaner of an install on the newer XJs, XKs, or XFs since they have the shark fins behind the front tires that you could hide the camera there and then mount some IR LEDs below to give you more light (no worry about blinding drivers as the IR light is not picked up by the eyes).

Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool idea - as long as you're not gonna get pulled over for not having any exterior mirrors. maybe gut the mirrors and replace with screens... no more blind spots! but I guess you want the unique look of no mirrors...

Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The law in Texas is quite clear.
You are required to have at least ONE rear view mirror.

It can be inside, it can be on the right door, it can be on the left door.

You have to have AT LEAST ONE MIRROR.

I don't know about other State's laws.

Interesting idea about the cameras.

bob gauff

Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Interesting concept.

No-go in PA, you must have an exterior mirror on the driver's side, and no video (including live cameras) while in forward motion. Kind of ruins Caddy's FLIR cameras...

Enforcement, well...

By the letter of the law, the driver cannot use a digital navigation system in over 30 states; back-up cameras are illegal in more than that...and in a handful, even your video dash is illegal.

More a matter of the law not keeping up with technology.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Interesting idea.
how about instead of screens by the a pillar use a pocket projector to project an image onto the a pillar or somewhere close.
you could always mount the pin hole cameras in adapted screen wash nozzles mounted ....... well anywhere.
and add some IR or UV LED`s in the side marker and tail lights. that is assuming they are already the clear type.

Last edited by Paulc732; 08-28-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I like that idea Thermo. Here in Pa. it may work as we don't need side mirrors as long as we have an interior one.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 AM

This can really get the creative juices flowing.

Pinhole Camera Pinhole Camera

Or even adapt a usb Endoscope/borescope which is already waterproof not sure it will have the field of view though.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:16 PM

120° DIY Car Right Side Rear View Reversing Mirror Waterproof Camera Kits | eBay

HMMM and add a split screen above the rear view mirror perhaps ????
or just to the inside of the door on the trim the other side of the mirror.