X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best car cover?

Looking to get a car cover that best snugs the x-type.

I'm going to college this fall and it's only ten miles from my house . I want to take my Jag but at the same time I don't want to because kids my age don't know how to park and to top it off they don't seem to care what they open their car doors into.

I want a car cover that fits has the ability to run a cable through the rim so that it can be locked to prevent theft.

Also does anyone have something similar to a bumper badger but for the doors? I saw a SL600 with one and it appears to do protect the doors from other doors and objects.
Seems like a good buy but has anyone used them?

Thanks for your input,

~Boss

Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm in the exact same situation as you: taking mine to college, not far from my house and I'll be living at my new off-campus student apartment. Parking looks good there from what I've seen but I'm also considering a cover for when it snows, then I can just lift it up in the morning and fling all the snow off lol. I'm interested to see these recommendations

Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  19.3 KB

To be honest, I think most will advise against car covers.

All they're going to do is ruin your paint finish. Think flapping in the wind, dust and dirt getting under them etc etc.

Just a thought, but to each their own.

Good luck with College guys

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I purchased a cover from a well-rated Ebay Seller, is a nice two-layered one, "top 'o the line".

Was quite disappointed with the fine, fine dust that breathes through it. Washed it, thinking it was in the cover but makes no difference, the car WILL be covered with the finest of dust when you remove it, and will require a rinse.

(Also, when you use it, spin the Leaper around backwards so the flapping in the wind doesn't cause the kitties teeth to chew through the cover)

It is nice for "hiding" the car though, and it keeps neighbor cat footprints off the fresh wax job.

In spite of being "breathable", the cover does indeed allow some moisture through it and it take a while to dry out under the cover. All in all, I prefer my garage, without the cover on it.

AND: yes, they are a pain to put on and get off. ALWAYS involves getting on hands and knees (or laying on back) to install / remove. No easy way to do it.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64

To be honest, I think most will advise against car covers.

All they're going to do is ruin your paint finish. Think flapping in the wind, dust and dirt getting under them etc etc.

Just a thought, but to each their own.

Good luck with College guys
Makes sense, but my neighbor has a 100 year old oak tree that has a large limb that hangs over my driveway.
I have only had the car since December so I haven't had To get anything about it yet.
But on my moms Lexus es350 I see a handfull of dings and dents on the roof trunk and hood.

So what im thinking is that the cable would prevent the cover from flapping which is also why I want one that is nice and snuggly.

Thanks for your input though I appreciate it.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
AND: yes, they are a pain to put on and get off. ALWAYS involves getting on hands and knees (or laying on back) to install / remove. No easy way to do it.
well I am young and nimble Im sure that what you are saying is true that it takes time and can be a hassle but so are dings all over the car from a neighbors tree that I can't control.
I'd put it in te garage but I don't think my father would appreciate me moving his 1984 corvette out of there :/

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Tell the old man to move that "mid-life crisis" of his out into the driveway, that you have a World Class Automobile that needs to be in the garage.

And remind him that if all works right, your World Class Automobile will attract a beautiful woman that you might marry and move away from home for.

I'd say offer to buy him a car cover, but it would probably trap that "old guy funky smell" in the car and lower it's resale value. (When he croaks, you're going to need to sell that old Corvette, and you'll want top dollar for it).

(Remember: his "legacy car" is your future financial legacy). Maybe offer to pick him up from the storage unit he needs to park that puppy in.

As far as the neighbor's tree, let it drop something on your car and then hit his homeowners insurance for the new paint job you want.

Any forum members going to help me here? Some additional suggestions for this kid getting the Jag into the garage?

(I bet the 'vette has fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror)

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 08-09-2012 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Boss_Fury (09-03-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I am actually in the same situation as all of you. I will be leaving for college out in CA and I won't be able to take my car with me because parking is too expensive. Right now, I have three cars that all live on my street, one of them being the jag. I have pulled exactly what Bruce has suggested and got myself a little bit of garage space. I'm going to buy a car cover, but I'm going to put it on in the garage so bikes and yard tools don't become friends with my paint job. As for the other two cars, I will hopefully sell them, but they will probably just take up the rest of the driveway