X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Is a better buy?? --- 2004 X-Type w 33,000 miles OR 2005 X-Type w 56,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Is a better buy?? --- 2004 X-Type w 33,000 miles OR 2005 X-Type w 56,000 miles

Both the same price, specs:

2004 X-Type w 33,000 miles
OR
2005 X-Type w 56,000 miles,

which Is a better buy?

Also, anyone know if there is a significant difference in the drivetrain between the '04 & '05? And when that change happened?

Thanks guys!

Gonna buy one of these 2 Cats Friday!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

2004 MY (X404) RUNNING CHANGES
The only change to the AWD system is the deletion of the viscous coupling. Any difference in traction between the front and rear wheels is now handled by the DSC system.

Thus both of those are likely non-VC cars. Make sure the one you get has DSC! On DSC-equipped cars there's a button for it near the gear lever, which on non-DSC cars like mine is just a coin tray. See this picture of my interior, you can see the coin tray between the gear lever trim and the silvery remote controller:

Also, both cars you're considering should have the later style steering wheel (mine is the older style, changed in 2004).

Attached Thumbnails Which Is a better buy?? --- 2004 X-Type w 33,000 miles OR 2005 X-Type w 56,000 miles-img8021bc.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Under similar conditions always go for the fewer miles!

But as said check for DSC that would make or break things (i.e., if the both have traction control go for the '04, if the '04 doesn't have it but the '05 does go with that one).

Oh, do either of them have the NAV unit?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

if both are similarly equipped, go with the 2004 with fewer miles

Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Given under the same circumstances, I would go for the 2004 model.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

MY take
Depending on what conditions (weather,Garaged,maintenance records) I don't think mileage hurts the newer cars as much as age, there going to go 150-200 thousand miles anyway, with the same care it's just how fast they get there, unless there are warranty issues (under 50k)I would pick the 05.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The viscous coupling was deleted in MY2004 at VIN D56272
Other technical changes for MY2004 update may not be self-evident, however, significant modifications have been made to the body shell, door and underbody.
Additional changes to the Body area include:
• A bolt-on front-end that: provides a weight reduction; improves repairability and service access.
• A new front bumper to accommodate the bolt-on front-end and front parking aid (where applicable).
• A new trunk-lid finisher.
• A new stack-bracket mounted to the left-hand side of the trunk to accommodate the multimedia modules.
Changes to the Chassis area include:
• A new driveshaft (AWD vehicles only) with sliding spline and sealed CV joints.
Changes to the Powertrain area include:
• The redesign of the fuel system to meet USA Federal LEV 2 emissions requirements:
– New fuel tank.
– New carbon canister (NAS markets only).
– Deletion of the fuel rail ’schraeder’ valve.
– New filler pipe assembly and cap.
Changes to the Electrical area include:
• The battery junction box, which interfaces to the wiring harness via eight connectors instead of being hard-wired.
• Optional front parking aid.
• Minor modifications to the instrument cluster.
• Refinements to the Entertainment System which, where applicable includes the introduction of a remote power amplifier and new speaker configurations.

Further changes introduced for MY2005 and included on my X Type purchased new in May 2005 are
Improved rear brake calipers (To cure the sticking handbrake problems)
Updated steering wheel with thumb wheel buttons
Organ pedal throttle to replace pendant type
Improved Passenger Restraint system
Introduced Lower Air Bag above driver's legs

As ever in car manufacture, some of these features may have been introduced a little earlier in any particular car, but I've tried to list them as published by Jaguar.
Anyway, the list just gives you some extra things to consider when making your choice. As it happens, I'd go for the latest model! The mileage difference is not worth it for the benefit of the later improvements IMHO!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I think I gotta throw in with the "Lower Miles" crowd, and here's why:

If those 23,000 extra miles were driven at say an average of 45 MPH, with the engine turning an average of 2,000 RPM, then;

• The engine, drive-train, electrical and all other components have operated well over 500 extra hours;
  • The engine itself will have rotated an extra sixty-one million one-hundred thirty-three thousand extra revolutions (more or less);
  • Those are the "best" miles, the ones that are closer to the day it left the factory.

That is a lot of extra wear on every critical part. The Intake valves on the '05 opened and slammed shut over 15 million more times than they did on the '04, as did the exhaust valves. The coils each fired millions and millions more times, too.

All of that adds up, and it adds up to wear. That puts the '05 23,000 miles closer to just plain worn out. Transmission, Transfer Case, Wheel Bearings, Catalytic Convertors, Water Pump, A/C pump, everything: about 500 hours closer to wearing out and failing.

Astromorg points out some exciting goodies the '05 might (or might not) have that the '04 doesn't, like a different gas cap, an extra air bag, etc etc - including the newer trunk plinth that you can modify with LED lights as someone did a few threads back - but I think the 500 hours extra wear and tear is much more important.

And you gotta ask yourself, why does the '05 have so many extra hours and miles on it? Was it a rental or fleet vehicle? Was that why it was driven so much further?

If so, I can assure you it was driven oh so much harder, too.

Harder driving means future transmission and transfer case woes are sure to be in store for the '05.

My transmission replacement cost $6,500 +/-, and it was done at 38,000 miles. It was also the second time it had been done - they ain't famous for longevity. (Yes, mine had been from a rental fleet)

I say go for the low mileage one.

(After you replace the upper and lower grille with the Mina mesh inserts, all of these cars look like an '08 in any event!)

This is an '05 with after-market grille set

This is my '02 with the same grille.

Best of luck in your choice!

Attached Thumbnails Which Is a better buy?? --- 2004 X-Type w 33,000 miles OR 2005 X-Type w 56,000 miles-img_0079-1.jpg   Which Is a better buy?? --- 2004 X-Type w 33,000 miles OR 2005 X-Type w 56,000 miles-classic_plate.jpg  

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 04-24-2013 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimborino (05-20-2014)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM

Blown. Away. Responses are amazingly helpful guys.

I'm on my way to test drive the lower miles 2004 in 2 hrs, but here's a quick update of what I have learned.

Also, i have a Q at the end of this post if anyone wants to weigh in with tips in next few hours, would be most useful.

Pab, Aonithiya:
Thanks for your input and before Pab!.

2004 3.0 X Type has a prod date of 5/04.
It has the new steering wheel design, and the split rear seats.
No Sport or DSC buttons. No Nav.

2005 3.0 X Type has prod date of 8/04.
It has the new steering wheel design, not sure about the split rear seats.
It has the Sport (S) button, no Slippery car button. Also no Nav.

The 2005 was very nice, felt tight. And hit 70 on the fwy without overt vibration.

Carzaddict, ViVi, BillBjork,
Thanks much for weighing in, sound points all.

AstroMorg:
Stupendous data! Thanks for sharing.
Appears both the cars were produced in '04, 3 months apart.
Any hunches on what goodies I might be getting based on the data (albeit limited data above?

Bruce in North Dakota:
I think Bill Nye better watch out! Highly impressive stats, and making me feel a lot better about the '04 if that's what I end up with. Its had 2 drivers looks to be in excellent and am pretty certain It has has impeccable maintenance, however there is the not inexpensive oil pan gasket fix still to be done, I must pay for and factor in.

So here it is - I'm concerned my offer on the 2004 was a little high, seller didn't balk, accepted right away. My bad. Best I can tell I'm about a grand under KBB for a private sale. A grand over Edmunds (seems to be quite a disparity) and about 2 grand under Carfax estimate w mileage factored in.

Obviously, my offer is contingent on the test drive and verything checking out as stated.

LAST QUESTION!
(Until the next, but ill be an owner then

(A) any great tips for a non mechanical buyer I should look, listen, feel for that could indicate major red flags with this MY X Type. i.e Does it have pink dex cool coolant?

(B) are there any minor, visual, cosmetic issues common to these cars, I migh miss if I don't know what to look for? (I.e the loose interior fabric on the pillars, the loose front vents, etc). Owner is not mechanical, so anything I can point to visually, that looks off, so the seller will say "oh I never saw that..." So I can get the price down a little more to a comfort level I can live with.

Also, I'm traveling over 100 miles to TD the car!

PS even though car is almost 100% stock, ill throw some pics up if i get it. And Astromorg I will definitely be doing the minna grills and some other upgrades pretty quick!

PSS sorry for long and late reply, didn't have time to write a short one! And thanks a ton again for everything chaps

Boomslang

Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Just because the seller didn't balk at your offer does not mean you overshot the mark, it just means you made a reasonable offer.

Ask him if it runs well on 10% Ethanol Gasoline. If he doesn't say "I only use a Premium Grade "REAL" Gasoline in it" you can shave $50 for fuel dryers to get the water out of the tank, and a new gas filter.

Set the parking brake. If it pulls to the top of it's limit and doesn't hold the car fast, it needs a rear caliper rebuilt ($200).

Drive it with the windows closed and the A/C off for a bit. If the windows fog up, $200 off for tearing into the dash and fixing an electrically operated "flapper" door)

Listen to each and every speaker to verify they work. $150 off for each one that doesn't.

Woofs and wows of the dashboard cover. $200 for a used replacement cover. Loose (or "popped") air vents under the windshield - $50 off. Slight squeak when you turn the steering wheel - requires more than WD-40 to fix, is a heat the fluid to 200f, add some special juice and circulate the system with a pump (dealer job) and maybe runs $400 to $500. (Trust me, you'll learn to love that squeak at that price!), but that could be worth a few bucks off. (PS - Damned near everyone seems to have that squeak!)

Oh, yeah - the true "Jag" coolant is more red than pink, but many folks on the forum are comfortable running even the old green juice as long as it is kept clean and regularly changed. Not too big an issue. Look for leaks, top of the tranny towards driver's side (water pump leak).

Check inside the oil filler cap. If full of brown goo, walk away (blown head gasket / water in the oil). Run it with the cap off, there should be NO exhaust fumes or sounds coming out of the oil fill (worn out rings). That might throw a code - running without the oil cap off - so do that last. The code will soon clear.

You seem to have a pretty good grip in what to look for, from what you have said already.

Don't beat the guy up too badly, though: He's losing his Jag today.

That's on par with losing a child, methinks.

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 04-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce in North Dakota:
ChelseaFC2014 (01-26-2014), jimborino (05-20-2014)
Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Epic Bruce!! Thanks about 15 mins away now! Will report back.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Split rear seats were an optional extra in 2004/5 in UK. Don't know about USA.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:20 AM

OK here she is First day.
Born in England raised in the desert.

Thanks for all the support chaps, really top notch.

Will post pics of what I get up to with her.

I'm a happy chappie

Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM

She's a Beauty!

Congratulations on the new member of your family!

(New member of "our" family - your extended family!)

(Where's our Cigars?)

Have you named her yet?

~ Bruce

(For those that can't open the pic, try right-clicking and "Open in a New Window" - there is some fuss with the link but that will open the pic)

Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Ha ha thanks Bruce E Cigars all round!
and good question! Will have to think about that

Gonna slow my roll a bit and enjoy her in stock form before any tinkering.
Def the mesh grill will be high on the list.
I like the denser mesh, gonna hunt the forum for leads.
Feel free to share ideas.

Oh yes, these were some of the unexpected goodies:

- There is a S button
- Rear Parking Assist
- Split back seats (stoked)

And seriously all, Bruce, Pab, Astro, everyone you rock!

Boomslang

PS any tips, FAQs in how to embed pics?
My web skills are lame.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM

To upload photos from computer:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...essages-36173/

To upload from online storage site:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...pictures-2418/

You should have someone take a few mugshots of you today, with your new car. Your smile will never be as big!

(And have them take your photo again, the first time your car slams into "Limp Mode". It will be fun to see the difference in your expressions!)

PS - When "Limp Mode" does (not if) happens, just pull off the road and restart, drive home and come back to this forum. We'll get you straightened out.