X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein HD or Comfort--The Debate

Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bilstein HD or Comfort--The Debate

My X-Type has 90,000 miles on it and I'm thinking of replacing the struts/shocks (I just bought the car last week). I've read about great experiences with the Bilstein HDs on VWs, Audis, BMWs, Benzs, etc. I even found a member on here who absolutely loves the HDs over the OEM Touring/Comfort suspension on his X-Type.

My X-Type is a daily commuter/winter car. My 'fun' car is an NC Miata on custom coilovers. Why do I mention this? I demand great handling from my vehicles, with crisp turn in, and minimal lean/pitch/drive under cornering/acceleration/braking.

This demand has me seriously considering replacing the OEM suspension with the Bilstein HD struts/shocks. Do people on here seem to like the added performance of the Bilstein HDs? Are these a common replacement for the OEM Touring/Comfort suspension? Does anyone find them too harsh over bad roads (I live in urban New York and drive my car year round).

The best price for the HDs is on TireRack at $660 for all. The best price for the comforts is from allshocks.com at $360. The big decision for me is whether or not the HDs are worth the extra $300 or not.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Definitely go HD, it's definitely worth the money in terms of performance and durability.

See my review: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-review-79346/

Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by spielnicht
Definitely go HD, it's definitely worth the money in terms of performance and durability.

See my review: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-review-79346/
You, sir, are the member whose review I referenced in my original post

It looks like I already know the answer to my question: get the HDs.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

rjs, maybe we can do a "side by side" of how much of a difference there is between the heavy duty and comfort shocks. Spielnitch is looking at coming down to my place this weekend to do some looking over of his car and there just happens to be a semi windy road near my place. Maybe we can do a little side by side and see what the differences are. I have wondered the same thing, but at the same time, I think you would get more benefit out of spending some time upgrading say the sway bar than going after the shocks. The shocks are going to make a difference with the sudden jarring (say from the wheel dropping into a pot hole), but I think with the "slow" roll of the car (relatively speaking here) into a high speed corner, the difference between the heavy duty and comfort is going to be minimal. But I am simply going from a gut feeling, not anything scientific. Hopefully we can have 3 people at my place and we can get a consensus of "what the differences are".

Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Thermo,

So whats the verdict Looking to order my shocks n struts next week and would love to know what your thoughts are.
Also did you get your new kitty yet?

Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Paul, sorry, no side by side. Stuff came up. So, when it comes to the shocks, I say get what you think is best for you. Either way, I think you are gonig to be happy.

As for the new kitty, still looking. I'm in no rush to get rid of what I have as it is being reliable and meeting what I need. The new kitty is more of a want. Granted, the local dealership offered something I was tempted on grabbing as they said they had a 2012 XJL, supercharged (30K on the ODO), with a lot of bells and whistles. The problem I had was they were still asking $57K. It is more than I am wanting to spend at the moment. I didn't see them accepting $45K and my X-Type for that car. Oh well. Gotta do some more looking and be patient.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

I hear you Chris.
Been looking for a salvage non flood late model myself as a project car now I have my X running good.
contemplating looking to add traction control as mine came without but that may be a bigger pill then I am willing to swallow.

good luck on your search.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same debate I have the sports transmission my stock shocks say sports I wonder if I can install the comfort ones to save money what you guys think?

Thankz

Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by wazrun
I'm in the same debate I have the sports transmission my stock shocks say sports I wonder if I can install the comfort ones to save money what you guys think?

Thankz
No, the factory sport cars sit 1.4" lower and the struts/shocks are shortened to accommodate that. Comfort struts/shocks will be too long for your sport springs.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjs5689
No, the factory sport cars sit 1.4" lower and the struts/shocks are shortened to accommodate that. Comfort struts/shocks will be too long for your sport springs.
Thanks do you happen to have any link or recommendation of shocks for the sports suspension?

Thanks again

Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by wazrun
Thanks do you happen to have any link or recommendation of shocks for the sports suspension?

Thanks again
Bilstein makes the OEM suspension for our cars, and they're the only (or at least primary) manufacturer of aftermarket parts.

Here's a link to the three types of Bilstein shocks/struts sold for our cars: Bilstein HD, Bilsetin Touring (Comfort) for Sport Suspension, and Bilstein Touring (Comfort) for regular non-Sport cars.

Where in New York are you located?