Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bit more........exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A bit more........exhaust

Just wondering, what does a resanator do ( i know the chemistry definition), how can i remove/ install it, and will it make the exhust note a bit better/louder

Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I know all models and years are different, but I removed them from my 85 XJ6.
I also replaced the rear mufflers with flow masters. No change in power but she sounds great. Kind of purrs like a good kitty should.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Disco, a resonator is essentially a tuned "box" that resonates at a given frequency. So, as pulses of air enter the chamber, the shockwave that is created from the exhaust leaving each cylinder is reversed inside of this box and tries to go back towards the engine as the next pulse is emitted from the engine. In short, you have two waves heading at each other. Because they are heading in opposite directions, they tend to cancel each other, resulting in a more constant flow of gases. Because the air flow is now more of a constant flow, the amount of noise that it creates is much less.

A resonator differs from a muffler in that a resonator reflects the pressure wave and a muffler simply tries redirecting the pressure wave causing it to bounce around inside the muffler and dissipating the sound that way (ie, more pressure pulses of a lower amplitude, making for a more constant flow of gases).

Removing the resonator will simply cause the muffler to have to work a little harder and will tend to raise the volume of the exhaust. But, at the same time, the gases leaving the engine will be able to flow farther from the engine, giving better scavaging of a cylinder, providing for more power from the engine.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Thermo
Disco, a resonator is essentially a tuned "box" that resonates at a given frequency. So, as pulses of air enter the chamber, the shockwave that is created from the exhaust leaving each cylinder is reversed inside of this box and tries to go back towards the engine as the next pulse is emitted from the engine. In short, you have two waves heading at each other. Because they are heading in opposite directions, they tend to cancel each other, resulting in a more constant flow of gases. Because the air flow is now more of a constant flow, the amount of noise that it creates is much less.

A resonator differs from a muffler in that a resonator reflects the pressure wave and a muffler simply tries redirecting the pressure wave causing it to bounce around inside the muffler and dissipating the sound that way (ie, more pressure pulses of a lower amplitude, making for a more constant flow of gases).

Removing the resonator will simply cause the muffler to have to work a little harder and will tend to raise the volume of the exhaust. But, at the same time, the gases leaving the engine will be able to flow farther from the engine, giving better scavaging of a cylinder, providing for more power from the engine.
Yeah.....and it will sound good too!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

If I'm upgrading the exhaust on a vehicle, usually the first order of business is to cut the resonator(s) off.

Just be careful that you don't also cut off the flex pipe, which sometimes can be confused with the resonator. The flex pipe is important to prevent premature wear of the motor mounts or possibly a cracked manifold.