X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot haccess

Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot haccess

HI Everyone,
I registered with the site to share some information on gaining access to a locked boot on an X Type , that the seats cannot be removed and has no key facility . Having searched the Forum , I saw that this is a common problem, that lots of owners have encountered. Plenty of suggestions as to what to do, but nowhere (at least that I could find) were definitive instructions given to do a home fix. So read on ---. Remove the number plate. Within the lines of the top and bottom of the plate , cut an access panel , suggest a 6inch semicircle at the centre point of the recess behind the number plate. Having removed the section of metal, the lever that is linked to the Soloniod is now visible. With a screwdriver, push the lever in an upwards direction. The boot will now open . At the top left hand side of the rear section of the boot ,there is a plastic/rubber conduit carrying the wires that service the boot area. Uncouple the grommet ends and see if all the cables are intact. In my case the Heavy Black cable was broken. I joined this cable and solved the problem. Forget about fixing the access panel that was removed, get some Tec7 (or similar) put a generous bead around the opening and refit the number plate . Simples!!!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Great write up.
any chance you could post some pictures

Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Yes, photos would help show the full access route, not only through the outer bodywork as described, but also the inner boot/trunk lid skin and then the substantial steel plate on which the lock is mounted. There are some access holes through that area but I can't see one through to the unlocking lever. Help please!

Old 01-21-2015, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is my friends car , and as the work is already done and he has gone away, Im afraid photos are not an option at this stage. Just to answer some points raised. If you cut the panel as described, you will see the back of the lock plate and it is "Open" as such. The end of the lever that is moved by the Solinoid is to the right hand side of this plate and can be moved quite easily. To confirm , the double skin of the boot (or Trunk as you guys call it) is not penetrated in any way.