X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Warning Light with ABS Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Warning Light with ABS Warning Light

Hi. This is my recent problem. When I start my car in the morning, most of time there is no warning lights. After driving and off and on the engine, ABS and Brake warning lights on. Typically no lights during the first drive, but more during second drive of a day (sometimes they don't light). I have taken it to autoparts stores and used their scanner for codes, but no code present. I have replaced brake pads but it didn't stop occuring.

I don't have any trouble braking the vehicle, but they are just annoying.

Anyone knows what is wrong with my car?

Is really no code present in the car? Is only dealer can access the code?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JLee, normally when we see something like this, it is one of the rear wheel speed sensor rings that is rusted and is starting to come apart. Unfortunately, the fix is to install a new wheel bearing/hub. You can prove this by removing the wheel and then removing the wheel speed sensor (the only set of wires out near the brakes), and then looking down the hole for a series of teeth as you spin the hub assembly. If you see a gap, that is your problem. Unfortunately, this does not work for the front wheels. The other possibility is the wiring going to the speed sensor has been damaged and it takes the wiring getting warmed up by say the exhaust or the brakes to cause it to open up. So, take a look at the wiring and see what you can see.

What you may need to do is to either find a shop that will rent out a higher end code reader or you will have to pay a shop to read the chassis codes (these are different from the P codes-powertrain codes). The cheapy code readers do not always show you the chassis codes. Odds are, you will find you have either C1145 or C1155. These are the codes for the rear wheel speed sensors.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

+1 on Thermo regarding getting the C codes read - that will determine what is causing the intermitient issue but needs to be investigated nonetheless...

Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Thank you for your inputs. I will look into it before summer ends... Last summer project =)

Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 PM

I looked underneath the vehicle around exhaust and wires, but found nothing unusual. I've contacted dealer about the code and tech told me it will cost between $130 and $390 to diagnose. Is there anywhere else to take my car for ABS and Brake codes?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jlee, do you have a higher end phone with bluetooth on it? If so, look on e-bay for "elm327 bluetooth". You will find that this is a wireless code reader for your car. Then you can go to your favorite app center and download a program called "Torque". Install this program on your phone. Enable the blue tooth on the phone, connect the Elm 327 device to the OBD-ii port under the steering wheel, open the app on your phone, turn the ignition key to the RUN position (do not start the car) and you should see all sorts of stuff start popping up and then you can look at all the codes you want. Should be able to do all of this for under $30. You don't need to be tech savvy to use Torque unless you are really a motor head and want to set up all sorts of data logging and the like.

The following users liked this post:
jtrujillo784 (10-22-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JLee,

Thermo has a really good point. Checking is very easy. You will need to remove the rear tires. The abs speed sensor fault will set off ABS and Check Engine warning lights. You will need a star wrench or bit to remove ABS speed sensor. Once you remove the sensor you will need a flashlight to look into the hole the sensor went into in order to see if there are still teeth on gear and the condition of teeth on gear.

If the teeth look good try cleaning the ring and ABS speed sensor. You'll be amazed how dirty that can get sometimes. Next is to trace the ABS sensor wire all the way to the back seat of the car. you will have to remove the back seat. it just pops up from the front. Make sure wire is not damaged. If all that checks out you can check the connection under the hood to the ABS module. It has a lever to remove electrical plugs to ABS module and you can make sure that it's making a good connection by popping it off then back on.

But the OBDTII codes will help narrow down fault location. If you're in US most auto part stores will let you use there tester or they will pull the codes off the computer themselves and even look up the code for you.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Thank you Thermo and mobilextc for your helps. Well, I purchased elm327 bluetooth adapter to connect with my laptop. ScanMaster-ELM v2.1 is software I tried to use. Unfortunately, there no code for body. All I am getting for code is P1000, and I think it is jaguar code telling me that car is not ready for emission test.

I am getting two lights -- ABS light and Brake light. No engine light. I've scan for code -- my old scanner, auto store's scanner, and ELM327 with software, I am no success finding fault with my car. Is my only option is to take my car to dealership for $130 to $390 diagnostic?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

JLee, you need to find someone with a higher end scanner such as the AutoEnginuity . Most scanners will only read the P codes. You need to get the C codes.
Try an independent shop familiar with Jaguars in your area.