X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Brakes to go with? New Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which Brakes to go with? New Owner.

Hello Folks.

I've owned my X-Type for a few months now, absolutely love it. Has had no issues what so ever.

But, my rims keep getting a lot of brake dust. I looked at the pads, and they are cheap pads. The Rotors are also in poor shape.

I would like to get all new Pads and Rotors. I am thinking a lot about going with slotted rotors. Of course, very nice pads.

I have budgeted about $800 dollars maximum toward this project.

I don't want to skimp on anything. Which rotors are the best for our cars? And, which pads are the best?

Your experience tops mine, so please, share your opinion.

Thanks so much,

Woppit

Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

MrWoppit, if you look on e-bay, do a search for "Brakemotive". They sell a kit for your car that will have the cross drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads all the way around (all 4 wheels) for around $200. Then with about 3 hours of your time, you can install it yourself. The brake dust is almost none and the braking performance will be improved. A few members here have done this (I am one of them) and in my case, I have about 35K miles on the car with the new rotors and the rotors look pretty much brand new and the pads are barely worn.

Other members will say to go with a company called EBC. They sell what are called "green pads" and "red pads". They have slightly different characteristics based on what you need from your brakes. But, their quality is unquestionable and you get yourself a good set of rotors, you will be very happy. But, the EBC route is a bit more money.

That gives you 2 options to look into.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Thermo gave you excellent ideas....

I went with as an example:

Akebono Euro ceramic pads and
<b>EBC sport rotors</b> EBC sport rotors
...They are slotted and dimpled,not drilled.. which prevents cracking....These will last the life of the car..

Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Brakemotive FTW...I have used them on 3 of my vehicles...no issues

Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 PM

Is this what you are talking about Thermo?
Link to eBay.com Brakes

That price is unbeatable. I didn't expect it to be so cheap. The quality is good with the Brakemotive stuff?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 PM

I'm just wondering how good they really can be...

I mean, if I go to PepBoys or NAPA for Brakes and Rotors for a standard passenger car, it'll easily be $250 for the set.

So, how can Ceramic Pads and Slotted Rotors be less then that?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in exactly the same position as you - and I'm still thinking about what to do - the longer I think, the longer I have to save for the EBC gear!! But Brakemotive is still very attractive pricewise, (esp. for a 2004 car like mine with over 250,000km and an insurance value of..... well, lets say not much anyway!!!!!)

Thermo (and many others on this forum who have endorsed the Brakemotive product) are very credible and trustworthy - no question. The straw poll ( see attached......)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...emotive-74966/

..... suggests there are some not so positive exxperiences amongst the majority of good experiences with this product.

Let us know what you decide to do - I'm sort of "info overloaded" on this decision now and am defering until I hear that sound of metal to metal contact to boot me into action........

Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I went on the "bay" and purchased "drilled and slotted" rotors with ceramic pads. Yes, it's Chinese stuff.

The brake pad brand is "Posi Quiet" and they work quite well. Very little wear, zero dust and plated rotors that don't rust. I'm exceptionally pleased.

Just an FYI, mine actually made a slight chattering noise when new. Took these pads forever to break/bed in. But now that they are bedded in, they work quite well. I'm at 20,000 miles on them, and the rotors are still showing the machining marks! But it's clear the pads are touching fully. Did I mention that I am very pleased?

Stopping power initially seemed worse than stock. But now that they have a few miles on them, they feel about the same as stock. Car stops great from any speed. Best $175 I spent on my car.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

MrWoppit, yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. For the price, you can not beat them. With all that being said, I also recommend doing a little bit of extra work while you are in there. Nothing big. But, little things like once you get the old rotors off, use a small wire brush to clean up the surface where the rotor touches the hub. This will ensure you have a nice face for the rotor to rest against and ensure that the rotor is true. When applying the pads to the calipers, use a bit of "pad glue" (I bought my stuff at Advance Auto for $5, comes in a 5 ounce bottle and is pink/red in color). You apply the pad glue to the back side of the pad where the pad touches the caliper. This will minimize any squeaking in the future (I do this for all pads, regardless of why type of pads they are). Just make sure to move promptly between applying the glue and being able to step on the brakes. This will allow you to squeeze out all the extra glue and ensure the pads are in line with the rotors. The final thing is torquing the lug nuts when you are done (I go to 100 ft-lbs). By torquing the lug nuts, you are applying an even force across the rotor and this will help keep the rotor true for a long time.

If you need any other assistance, let me know. Been down this road a few times and have gotten rather good at doing the brakes on Jags.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I put Power Stop rotor & pad kit on the front in May.Got them from RockAuto for about $125. I have about 3000 miles on them with no complaints.