X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busy day today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Busy day today!

Finally got around to fixing the passenger door handle and fixing the inside mounts on the door. I was putting it off since we got the car, because I knew that there was almost nothing holding that panel on, the previous owner had broken most of them the last time he was inside the door.

Replaced the sliders on the driver's side window regulator, taking the regulator out is a huge PIA, but putting it back in was pretty effortless. Glass lined up correctly on the first shot, too. Well worth the $7 that the new sliders cost, literally a 5 minute job once the regulator was out.

Tomorrow, I'll put the door panels back on (cleaned them really well, fixed the broken mounts), and probably put the lighted plinth on the trunk; I back filled the letters after I opened them up, and filled the openings with plastic casting resin. Finally, I gradually filled the letters in with the clear resin to bring them flush with the plinth face, so the look "like they growed there".

Just used white LEDs for now, but I like the idea with the different colors based on function. I think I'd use multi-color leds, and a stamp module or arduino to program them, make them blink with the four-ways...heck, you could even use split strips, and have the JAG blink red on a left turn, and the UAR blink red on a right turn!

Please stop me...

Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3ra
finally got around to fixing the passenger door handle and fixing the inside mounts on the door. I was putting it off since we got the car, because i knew that there was almost nothing holding that panel on, the previous owner had broken most of them the last time he was inside the door.

Replaced the sliders on the driver's side window regulator, taking the regulator out is a huge pia, but putting it back in was pretty effortless. Glass lined up correctly on the first shot, too. Well worth the $7 that the new sliders cost, literally a 5 minute job once the regulator was out.

Tomorrow, i'll put the door panels back on (cleaned them really well, fixed the broken mounts), and probably put the lighted plinth on the trunk; i back filled the letters after i opened them up, and filled the openings with plastic casting resin. Finally, i gradually filled the letters in with the clear resin to bring them flush with the plinth face, so the look "like they growed there".

Just used white leds for now, but i like the idea with the different colors based on function. I think i'd use multi-color leds, and a stamp module or arduino to program them, make them blink with the four-ways...heck, you could even use split strips, and have the jag blink red on a left turn, and the uar blink red on a right turn!

Please stop me...
just stop!
;@)

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (04-17-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

just to fuel the fire

you could program an ATTiny85 with your arduino to save on cost and room (Hint use a buck converter for your 5V)

just a heads up that is how I am doing my tail lights prototyping now

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I actually have a handful of 12v STAMP modules floating around at the house somewhere, about the size of my thumbnail (or the -85)!

The -85 can be used to make a nice fit-anywhere morse code keyer for older transmitters that don't have them...getting too old to use a straight-key all night!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking forwards to seeing photos of this!