Sponsored by:

Buzzing noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow Buzzing noise behind dash

Howdy to all,
Today I received this new part from a UK Jag Parts supplier;
'Air Conditioning Aspirator Sensor' : Part No. C2513944-1X4H-19C734-AA.

With this, its my aim is to fix that darn buzzing noise !!

Does anyone have a Jag TSB or other procedure/detail on how to remove & replace this part ?

All help sincerely appreciated.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hi, the buzzing noise from behind the dash sounds to me like the little climate control fan which senses the temp inside the car. Its located left to the steering wheel (on rhd cars, maybe right hand side for lhd?) a little square plastic thing on the dash. Although annoying, i dont think it can be resolved and is part of the cars personalily..lol.

Last edited by jagryan85; 03-12-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo error
Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by jagryan85
hi, the buzzing noise from behind the dash sounds to me like the little climate control fan which senses the temp inside the car. Its located left to the steering wheel (on rhd cars, maybe right hand side for lhd?) a little square plastic thing on the dash. Although annoying, i dont think it can be resolved and is part of the cars personalily..lol.
Hi jangryan85,
Thanks for your introspection.... you are correct in identifying the culprit and its proximity, however, a faulty part - is a faulty part!

Others here have had this part replaced (and fixed) by their dealer and I would like to fix mine also. My already having the replacement (in hand) is 50% of the battle (as I can see how it fits) however, the procedure to gain proper access to remove the existing - eludes me.

So, if anyone here can assist... I would be highly appreciative ?

Regards,
Larry

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 AM

hi, nice to be of assistance i think the way to do it is to remove the little square plastic cover off the dash, some long nose pliers or a flat head screw driver to prise it off, then just a case of removing the under tray from under tho steering wheel and getting your hands up to wiggle it out. It may twist then unlock, failing that all i can suggest is wiggling it til it comes free.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Arrow

jangry,
Yes, I too can make a guess and suggestion, however, I am seeking a Jaguar TSB or similar document - to ensure all my bases are covered.

The existing sensor is working... it just plain noisy (the fan - I'm guessing).
Inspection of the axial fan in the sensor (which sits immediately behind your mentioned grille) was full of lint / fibrous material... as collected over the years. I have removed all that and also applied a small amount of lubricant hoping the noise is just dry fan bearings. So far, the lubricant has not worked.

Q.1 I am concerned that its connection (4-pin plug) may need to be reprogrammed after a replacement is fitted....?

Q2. I do not know what the sensor plug is connected to ? (other than perhaps the climate control module) However, I understand the Climate Control Module requires reprogramming - after its disconnection or service ?

Whilst I a have a working sensor just now (albeit noisy) I do not want to bugger things up completely - if you get my drift ?

If its inevitable I have to go to a dealer (to reprogram) then he may as well fit the Part also !!

Regards,
Larry

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM

lcgi - regarding your questions, 1, i'm not sure how many wires go to this little device, but its irrelevant anyway. like most things on the x type's their mainly plug and play. 2, No need to re programming of the ccu. Just make sure your ignition is off, and if u wish disconnect the battery (although you dont have to, many users prefer to do this before unplugging any electrical wiring, just make sure if you do, to have your radio code handy ) like u said, i'm with you and guessing that its dry bearings and years of dust being sucked in. Now refering to tsb's, have a look at uk forum as everything you'll need with be on there good luck! Ryan.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (03-12-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 AM
Arrow

Howdy,
I'm pleased to report that the Buzzing Noise - is FIXED!!

Gaining access to replace the the faulty sensor was a bit of a struggle - due to very limited space to get my hand in behind the dash, but with that done (push and twist-in) and then the simple 4-pin plug connection.... the sensor was up and running (fan) minus the annoying Buzz

The sensor really is a simple plug 'n' play device and is a FORD component as so many of the X-type parts are.

All that can be heard now - is an almost inaudible hum of the fan motor and very faint sound of air movement going in (via the slotted grille)

I'm so glad this problem has now gone !!

Thank to all who contributed to the solution.

The part only cost about $10 (ex UK) and well worth the effort.

Regards,
Larry

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM

great to hear its sorted another problem solved

Lcgi (03-14-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sensor

Just reading this and hope someone can help me had the dash out and have the sensor which is being discused just dangling not sure where the sensor part goes i have the four pin plug in but can not seem to see any where for the sensor part to go help please

Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Hi Alto,
If you look closely at the Sensor.... you will see that it has a small Axial Fan
at the opposite end to the 4-pin connector ?

Also, there is a bayonet-like clip at the fan end.... for mounting the sensor directly into its fixing point - which is on the inside of the dash and immediately behind that little square slotted grille. It just snaps into place when the tangs on the Bayonet clip are aligned.

Hope this helps.....

alto (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lcgi
Hi Alto,
If you look closely at the Sensor.... you will see that it has a small Axial Fan
at the opposite end to the 4-pin connector ?

Also, there is a bayonet-like clip at the fan end.... for mounting the sensor directly into its fixing point - which is on the inside of the dash and immediately behind that little square slotted grille. It just snaps into place when the tangs on the Bayonet clip are aligned.

Hope this helps.....

Think this helps just had a quick look at dash do you mean it goes behind the little slotted square which is about 25mm x 25mm next to the steering wheel thank.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

alto, yes, that is where this little fan sets. NOthing fancy. Just part of the A/C system.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by alto
Think this helps just had a quick look at dash do you mean it goes behind the little slotted square which is about 25mm x 25mm next to the steering wheel thank.
Alto,
Yes... that a where it goes

Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lcgi
Alto,
Yes... that a where it goes
My aspirator fan is also making too much noise.

Would you happen to know the part number/website where you purchased
your motor?

Thanks,
Ted.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by tcbted
My aspirator fan is also making too much noise.

Would you happen to know the part number/website where you purchased
your motor?

Thanks,
Ted.
Hello if you go to ebay uk and put this item number 260860828903 in search it will give you all info you need ie part number and option to buy through ebay or sellers web site hope this helps thanks.

tcbted (05-12-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I picked up my 53 plate x-type SE today, its a beautiful car and drives like a dream.

The only problem I can see/hear so far is an annoying whirring sound behind the dash, it sounds similar to the above mention issue, but I'm worried it may flatten my battery or be a more serious issue. I've just gone back to my car several hours after I turned my engine off and its still whirring away, is this the same as everyone else? or does yours stop after a while or only appear after using the ac/climate control. All advice is very much welcomed and thanks in advance

Old 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

unleashing1, what I would tell you to do is to roll down the driver's window and park the car. Come back out to the car after about 10 minutes. Do not open the door, but stick your head in the window. You will find that the fan will be turned off. The fan starts as soon as you open the door. Hence, if you have the windows rolled up, it can easily make you think that the fan has been running the whole time that the car has been parked.

unleashing1 (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will give it a go tomorrow, thanks for the advice very much appriciated