Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get P1000 out of my face! Comprehensive Component monitor woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't get P1000 out of my face! Comprehensive Component monitor woes

Hi, all;
If you recall my previous post about the O2 sensor, you have probably already deduced that I have had to clear the codes in the engine to get rid of the check engine light. Everything worked out fine except one ****ling problem: the P1000 (not all diagnostic checks have run) code will not go away after reset. Using my cheapo code reader, it appears the "CC" light (Comprehensive Component) monitor indicates this test has not run. Luckily and thankfully, all other monitors have run and passed - which is better than when I started this little project!

I'm really confused on this one for two reasons. First, according to the DTC guide in JTIS, there is no comprehensive component monitor for the engine (to avoid unnecessary complexity - hah! fancy that) but there is one for the transmission. The second confusing point is that last night I took her out at midnight to safely complete all of the tasks on the highway to run the transmission CCM, but that did not seem to solve the problem.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm in a bind because all of the diagnostic monitors have to run and pass for me to get an emissions slip so I can register the vehicle.

P.S.
This place is addicting - I've come to find myself logging in and checking the boards even at work!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM

addendum:
The notes for the CCM monitors according to JTIS:
COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT DRIVE CYCLE
To avoid unnecessary complexity, a single comprehensive engine management drive cycle has not developed for X-TYPE. Refer to the individual DTC for specific drive
cycle / monitoring conditions.

COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR TRANSMISSION DRIVE CYCLE

The Comprehensive Component Monitor transmission drive cycle will “check” all transmission system components.
1 Engine and transmission at normal operating temperature. Ignition OFF
2 With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without pressing the brake pedal. Verify P state illumination.
3 Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. Verify R state illumination.
4 Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not start.
5 Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination. Start the engine.
6 With the hand brake set and the brake pedal pressed, move the gear selector to the remaining positions in the J Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) for five (5) seconds each. Verify
the state illumination in each position.
7 Move the gear selector back to 4. Verify 4 state illumination.
8 Move the gear selector to D. Verify D state illumination.
9 Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination.
10 Select R, release the brakes and drive the vehicle in Reverse for a short distance.
11 Stop the vehicle.
12 Select 2 and drive the vehicle up to 65 km/h (40 mph). Hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
13 Select 3 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
14 Select 4 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
15 Select D and accelerate to a minimum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Hold 80 – 129 km/h (50 – 80 mph) for a minimum of 1.7 kilometers (1 mile).
16 Stop the vehicle; do not switch OFF the engine.
17 Use WDS Datalogger “TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET” to ensure that transmission DTC monitoring is complete.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 PM

For anyone curious, this did not prevent the smog check-o-matic machine from allowing me to take the plug-in test - everything passed. From what I understand, not every test has to pass to get the green light on smog here in St. Louis. Keep in mind that different localities have different regulations, though.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

All X Types will have P1000 logged
Once you turn the key to position II it starts the checks
P1000 means you turned the key from position II to START before the car had time to finish the checks.
If you clear the code and then wait afew more moments between position II and starting the code will change from P1000 to P1111 (all checks complete).Either way you will have either a P1000 or a P1111 (or both).
Neither are a concern and certainly neither are anything to worry about!

Last edited by BuckMR2; 04-24-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stuck on code p1000 followed instructions for COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR TRANSMISSION DRIVE CYCLE still no dice Called Jaguar dealership they said the ecm might need to be reprogrammed 2003 s-type 3.0 with 86k at a lost can not get to
p1111

Old 07-17-2013, 12:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum code p1000,

You've posted to a three year old thread in the X-Type section but I see you have an S-Type.

With a Jaguar, you will always have either P1000 (OnBoard monitoring tests not completed since last memory clear) or P1111 (OnBoard monitoring tests complete). The test completion can be achieved through normal driving or accelerated by performing 'drive cycles'.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this issue when my selinoid went bad. I bought a mini computer monitor Kept resetting it, went back and forth to work and it eventually went off. You sometimes really have to floor your car 0-60 to get the sensors to go off..eventually once it finished the drive cycle twice it should go off..

Old 09-08-2016, 01:54 PM

The drive steps in the procedure below cleared my CCM NOT READY codes and sent me a P1111. I had been driving & driving and waiting & waiting. But you may never get them without driving through thease steps below.

The Comprehensive Component Monitor transmission drive cycle will “check” all transmission system components.
2 With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without pressing the brake pedal. Verify P state illumination.
3 Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. Verify R state illumination.
4 Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not start.
5 Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination. Start the engine.
6 With the hand brake set and the brake pedal pressed, move the gear selector to the remaining positions in the J Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) for five (5) seconds each. Verify
the state illumination in each position.
7 Move the gear selector back to 4. Verify 4 state illumination.
8 Move the gear selector to D. Verify D state illumination.
9 Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination.
10 Select R, release the brakes and drive the vehicle in Reverse for a short distance.
11 Stop the vehicle.
12 Select 2 and drive the vehicle up to 65 km/h (40 mph). Hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
13 Select 3 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
14 Select 4 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
15 Select D and accelerate to a minimum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Hold 80 – 129 km/h (50 – 80 mph) for a minimum of 1.7 kilometers (1 mile).
17 Use WDS Datalogger “TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET” to ensure that transmission DTC monitoring is complete.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Erm........ 3 yr old thread....

Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Default CCM not required for Smog

Originally Posted by SimonRage
For anyone curious, this did not prevent the smog check-o-matic machine from allowing me to take the plug-in test - everything passed. From what I understand, not every test has to pass to get the green light on smog here in St. Louis. Keep in mind that different localities have different regulations, though.
i just did smog myself and it Pass no problem. Looks like CCM is excempted from Smog Required Monitors. I created accound just to post this. Im smog tech myself n used to know CCM is mandatory on all vehicles. Apperantly not on jaguar..today 7.6.2018

The following users liked this post:
rentzoo (10-28-2023)
Old 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Post Helpful, but PLEASE Keep it simple

This post helped me a lot.

The Jaguar "Engineering Test Mode Diagnostics" initiated with the "TRIP" switch on the turn signal stalk has NO effect on the p1000 issue.
This procedure DOES work, but must be followed exactly using all the preliminary Hullabalooey with "Operating Temp, Key off, Key on, etc."

Pertinent helpful facts:
OBD-II Monitor showing "CC" as root cause for persistent dtc p1000,
NO "engine" related Comprehensive Component Test (CC or CCM) exists on X-Type, just "Transmission" CC Test,
Transmission Drive Cycle worked perfectly on 1st attempt to complete CC test and result in p1111(some users posted that it does not, but it did for me.)

Confusing Factors From "Drive Cycle" Procedure in original Post:
"
Verify P state illumination" - In the USA, interpret this as "verify the gear selector P lamp is on" (do the same for all other Gear Selector Positions P,N,D,4,3,2)
"Use WDS Datalogger
" - This should read "Verify the dtc ... with your OBD-II Scan tool". "WDS " (Worldwide Diagnostic System) is a FORD Product and may be technically correct as Ford Owned Jaguar 2000 - 2008.

Original Procedure as posted:
The drive steps in the procedure below cleared my CCM NOT READY codes and sent me a P1111. You may drive & drive and wait & wait. But you may never get them without driving through these steps below.

2 With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without pressing the brake pedal. verify the gear selector P lamp is on.
3 Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. verify the gear selector R lamp is on
Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not start.
5 Move the gear selector to N. verify the gear selector N lamp is on Start the engine.
6 With the hand brake set and the brake pedal pressed, move the gear selector to the remaining positions in the J Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) for five (5) seconds each. verify the gear selector D, 4, 3, 2, lamp is on in each position.
7 Move the gear selector back to 4. verify the gear selector 4 lamp is on.
8 Move the gear selector to D. verify the gear selector D lamp is on
9 Move the gear selector to N. verify the gear selector N lamp is on
11 Stop the vehicle.
12 Select 2 and drive the vehicle up to 40 mph. Hold 40 mph for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
13 Select 3 and hold 40 mph for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
14 Select 4 and hold 40 mph for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
15 Select D and accelerate to a minimum speed of 50 mph. Hold 50 – 80 mph for a minimum of 1 mile.
17 Use WDS Datalogger “TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET” to ensure that transmission DTC monitoring is complete. (Verify the dtc is now p1111 with your OBD-II Scan tool to ensure that transmission DTC monitoring is complete.)

Again, Many thanks to ALL who investigated and posted this fix.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing these in order isn't the engine already on for #4? #3 does not ask to turn engine off, and #4 does not indicate to start with engine OFF.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Smile Persistent DTC p1000

Originally Posted by indi4ever
If you are doing these in order isn't the engine already on for #4? #3 does not ask to turn engine off, and #4 does not indicate to start with engine OFF.
=======
Thanks to everyone involved here. "Comprehensive Component Monitor transmission drive cycle" steps, as listed in this thread, worked GREAT for my Persistent DTC p1000 .KUDOS!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:51 PM

As stated #4 is impossible to perform.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

2 With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without pressing the brake pedal. verify the gear selector P lamp is on.
3 Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. verify the gear selector R lamp is on
Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not start.
5 Move the gear selector to N. verify the gear selector N lamp is on Start the engine.

Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.. only took me 10-15 times.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

@indi4ever you need to read and COMPREHEND the sequence.
#1 key off
#2 key on = NOT STARTED in "P"
#3 key on = NOT STARTED In "R"
#4 in "R" = turn key to START
SEE can be done, just did it in fact. The rest of sequence(s) follows normally.
#5 ACTUALLY STARTS THE CAR

Old 06-18-2021, 08:24 PM

OK I get it. Duh. Still why "ON"? It should be key to position I, II, III. There isn't an "ON"

Old 09-15-2022, 11:43 AM
Default Comprehensive Component does NOT refer to the transmission drivecycle

Just for note, this problem has been around for 20+ years. The CCM uncompletes on a few european vehicles with a battery disconnect or on some a code clear even. Volvo also has this issue.
The monitor is basically what it says: COMPREHENSIVE.

The question and confusion comes from the idea its attached to that Jag Transmission test, and part of it is. Its also attached to all the other monitors.
Heres the key: You can PASS and complete an OBD2 monitor without completing all the self tests that make up the monitortests. For example, the tests (called TIDS and CIDS in engineerspeak) are many small tests compiled in a bunch and if enough pass the monitor status changes. If 1 fails and 8 passes, you will get a complete monitor and no fault code. Because its tested and its OK and it failed 1 small part but the system has all those tests to encompass many variables and a singlke fail isnt necessarily proof of a fault. 8 out of 9 passes IS considered proof (depending on the results and code set criteria, its complicated)
Anyway, the comprehensive component is the proof. Since you may have 13 tests for an Oxygen sensor, and after its run 9 they all passed with flying colors but the other 4 havent been checked yet, it will give you your O2 SENSOR COMPLETE. However the CCM is the proveout that the other ones passed(or even failed if its the only fail?) at least ONCE. All the available tests must eventually be run and completed AT LEAST ONE TIME!!!

Remember that, it means SOME of the entire monitor list batch of tests have not completed!

That is the definition of why CCM wont complete on some cars. There are remaining incomplete tests.

The most common tests that dont complete even though the monitor for the component may already SHOW complete:

Catalytic Converter
Evap (Especially small/very small leak portion as some cars can pass with only the LARGE leak completing and passing)
Oxygen sensor.

If you have access to Mode $06 data (if you dont know what that means, you dont need it) you can see on a translating scantool what each section has run so far or isnt do9ne with. Its difficult. Till a test begins tools dont show the test, and till it completes they show the test name but not the results. If the very small leak check has not begun, you wont see it on the list. It must be passed twice to complete, so if it ran once (pass or fail) youll see it on the list but the values will all show 0.00 as it hasnt reached a decision yet on pass or fail.

Rerun the evap monitor drivecycle and the o2 drivecycle multiple times. When you are done with both, allow a LONG idle before shutdown. As in 20 minutes. (Time to run cooldown checks and evap leak decay tests)

Thats the best help I can give for future generations. It will eventually work. just takes patience

oldmantom (09-16-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Someone may be bitten by the issues in the attached...

Attached Files
rentzoo (10-28-2023)
Old 09-17-2022, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Thanks for that Jagv8. After my evap saga a while ago (second time) I noticed a couple of weeks later that my comprehensive components had cleared having never set since I bought the car. It never prevented me from passing smog and licensing but, was always curious why it never set. So my ASSUMPTION based on your post after fixing dang near everything associated with the evap leak fixed that little odd part preventing the comprehensive from clearing.

Quick Reply: Can't get P1000 out of my face! Comprehensive Component monitor woes