Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car doesn't make noise but it's louder, i think, i don't know

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default car doesn't make noise but it's louder, i think, i don't know

hi i just bought 2004 jaguar x-type
car runs, turns, handles nice and perfect like jaguar, but when i drive it's little louder than normal, i was led to believe that luxury car like this suppose to be quite

there is no particularly noise that i can find, in general it's little loud,

plus when i am on highway or in top gear car makes tiny general loud noise, i showed it to different shops and some said it's normal because it's AWD, some said it's has to do with bering (chatter) and they also said that may not be bering because it's doesn't shake the car or anything

and some said that may be new tires are not in balance, and i am really confused, tomorrow i am going to jaguar dealership(not the one i bought the car from) he probably say something else to make money,
so i just want to get basic idea about the situation

thanks in advance

mike

Old 07-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mike, based on what you are describing, it can be so many things. So, lets try to attempt and narrow down where the noise may be coming from.

1) Does the steering wheel wobble a tiny bit side to side as you are driving down the road? You can test this by going to a lighter feel on the steering wheel and steering the car with only a finger or two (preferable to do this when you are the only one on the road in case you wander a little bit, but this is also based on your driving ability). A slight wobble in the steering is normally a sign of a tire imbalance or other driveline imbalance in the front end. Along these same lines, when you rotate the tires from front to back (and vice versa), does the noise change then? If so, then you are looking at a tire issue.

2) While being the passenger (or another person that is your passenger), close your eyes and see if you can determine if the noise is coming from the front, rear, or center of the car.

3) Is the noise dependent on the speed of the car, the speed of the engine, or simply sound like it is something loose under the car that is flapping around?

This will get us going in the right direction.

As for common problems seen with our cars, there are two that come to mind right off the bat: 1) out of round/true rims, and 2) carrier bearing wear. If the noise changes when you rotate the tires and you have a slight wobble in the steering wheel at one point but not another, then that would indicate that at some point the wheels probably got curb checked or a big pothole was hit, taking the rim out of round/trueness. As for the carrier bearing, because of the driveshaft running to the rear of the car being so long, it has a center support bearing. As this wears, it can make a whirring sound that is directly related to the speed of the car. In a lot of cases, applying some grease to this bearing will quiet it down. But, if the bearing is well worn, replacement is necessary.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You said you just bought this car. Is the noise you are hearing something that just started and wasn't there when you test drove the car? Like Thermo said, from your brief description it could be a million things and some that could even be normal depending on how sensitive you are to the sound you are hearing.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 PM

yeap u guys r right

it could be million things, so i took it to walmart today and he said he hears the sound he said there is some grease leaking from driver shaft so may be it is driver shaft rubbing or something from tires, and next thing he showed me is that one of my front tire is wearing down from inside (mean from underneath the car) so it could be tires

as for stirring wheel, like i said it handles nice, there is no shaking or anything,
and it was like that when i bought, so sound is from beginning, it's not like it's just started,

general wobling noise comes when i accelerate on highway, it's not loud but it's louder than normal
i am going to dealer tomorrow and see what he says and i want to get a idea what's going down before i get it fixed

thank you

Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Maikal, sounds like your centering bearing is making noise. The repair is fairly inexpensive. Not too hard to do yourself if you have the mechanical ability.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM

thanks

i actually kind of do

do u know any site that might give little guidance about that

Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If it's the center bearing won't the dealer just want to replace the propshaft? If so, that's not cheap; like $1000.

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM

let me tell u what happened today

first i went to jaguar dealership, they did my oil change and told me that my front tires are wearing off from inside so i need 4 new tires and alignment for 1000 dollar,

after that i went NTB, and they checked my tires and alignment and one of the their guy drove it he said it's little louder but it's not the tire or alignment then while later he is like u need to do replace barring from rear wheels and told me that with parts and labor will be around 1000 dollar
and i asked him about the driver shaft and he said no, it's working fine

now i have no idea what is wrong with that, it's runs, brakes, handles really nice, it's just when i get on highway or high speed car makes very tiny woo woo woo woo noise from rear, it's not that loud but if someone is getting in for jaguar ride then they wouldn't like it, it's not jaguar like

everyone told me that it's little louder than normal as general so i don't just want to spend 1000 dollar and then spend another 1000 and blah blah

Last edited by maikal_0011; 07-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

My .02 is that while under normal circumstances I'd go with the Jag dealer andsince the wear on your tires indicates you have an alignment problem, you don't need to drop a grand.

Take it to an alignment shop since obviously you need one, you'll be out of there having spent maybe 250.00 for a 4 wheel alignment. Remember your car is all wheel drive. See if it fixes the noise (I doubt it will but the alignment shop might find out you do need wheel bearings. Remember again all wheel drive, independant rear suspension so it's like a front suspension with bearing etc.

depending on your driving will determine what kid of tires to get. You don't list your location so.....

Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM

i live in kansas city as student, i go to UMKC

today my jaguar dealership and firestone repair shop confirmed that my tires are needed to replace and need alignment, but my tires are not bad so i don't want to spend that much on tires, so i am thinking that i should just doing alignment

is it good idea? since both of them confirmed where the noise coming from, and also they gave the same reason that tire are wearing from inside (bottom inside) and so on

so as for student, in case i do decide to get tires, what is recommendation for 2004 x-type 3.0 stick shift-if i am going to replace tires then i should pick better quality

Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When alignment is done, make sure that the toe-in is set dead-nuts on "0" (zero degrees), not just give or take a few clicks. This helps with inside tire wear. Also, some of your perceived noise may be your worn tires, especially if the brand you currently have were noisy to begin with. I found, with my 2002, that the driveline will whine on deceleration at certain speeds, mimicing a poorly set-up ring and pinion. This only happens when the ambient temp is below 70F. Above that temp it's quiet. Good luck with your quest for 'quiet'.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 PM

thanks mate

i love this car, i probably get alignment done tomorrow or something,

my tires aren't that worn out, they r in mid range,

so should i get replace tires and get alignment done or just get alignment because my tires are not bad, or should i because my tires from inside are kind of worn out, but not that much, it's not like OMG it's so bad

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Maikal,

What make and model of tires are on the car?

I have Toyo Proxes 4 tires on my car from the previous owner, and they're worn down to about 50%. They sound like off-road truck tires, at all four corners.

After checking wheel bearings - which were fine - and then changing the transfer case fluid - it didn't help the noise - I started poking around the web and found that these Toyo tires are getting mixed reviews. Some praise them for being quiet; some curse them for road noise. The kicker seems to be that, after they wear down to about 50%, they start getting very noisy. Those people who claimed they were quiet had only just bought them. Amazing.

I'm not replacing tires just for road noise, but wow - what a freaky problem!

Anyway, let us know the make and model of your tires. Maybe there's a similar problem.