Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalled twice CEL - No codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalled twice CEL - No codes

2002, Jaguar X-Type 2.5L (AJ-25) Base Model

Okay, so my car stalled while driving through the parking lot near my local market yesterday.
I just finished replacing the fuel pump two days ago so I know it's not an issue with fuel delivery.

I was making a right turn when suddenly it felt as if the car was going straight and the steering wheel
went stiff when I tried to continue through the turn in the parking lot. I came to a stop and realized the CEL
was on and the car had stalled. I turned the key again and it fired right up and the light turned off.

After getting home I have a scanner that can read not only basic codes but onboard modules.
Running a few tests nothing out of the normal came up to suspect why the car would randomly stall.
This has happened once before changing the fuel pump. The car drives like a beauty otherwise without any issue.

Is this a fluke? I don't want anything to happen like this again especially if I'm driving at highway speeds.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The codes stay stored even after the MIL goes off (so a tech has a chance when a customer says "well it WAS on!"). If your tool doesn't show them get one that works

Old 02-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still learning?

If you replaced the fuel pump two days ago, did you have to disconnect the battery? If so perhaps the computer is still learning, and at low speed, while turning the steering wheel, if some trim or such isn't just right yet maybe the idle is still being refined. I replaced leaky intake manifold gaskets, and after I did(didn't unhook battery) it wouldn't idle for some time due to the fact that the computer had compensated for the intake leaks I had just eliminated. Rather than wait for it to unlearn all that, I unhooked the battery then let it relearn from scratch with a properly running engine. It took a day or so, even after the "relearn' procedure for everything to settle down.

That said, you might just give it a little more time, and if nothing else happens, let it be.