X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Catcon do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Catcon do I need?

I'm throwing the 0430 code. I know there is a front and a back, but the ones for sale I see are listed as passenger and driver side. I heard that the back one is a pain in the ***. Does that mean the front is easy, or just not as hard?

One guy quoted me $560, does that sound right? Also, another guy quoted me $185, which sounds way too cheap. He did say that was if it was the front one, so I guess maybe he knows what he was talking about.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Elrod, the code you are getting is for Bank 2 (I know, just making this all the more confusing, but it may also help clarify things too). Bank 2 is associated with the even numbered cylinders. So, if you walk to the "front" of the engine (ie, to the passenger tire as the "front" of the engine is really talking to the area where a majority of the belts and whatnot are), the odd numbered cylinders are on your left with #1 being the cylinder closest to you and the even numbered cylinders being on the right with #2 being closest to you.

As for the price difference between the two places, you also need to ask if they are using a universal O2 sensor or if they are using a model specific O2 sensor. A universal one runs about $40 or so, a model specific one runs around $150 or so for our cars. So, now you ask what the difference is. The model specific one has the plastic plug end installed and wired up already where the universal one requires the person installing it to wire up the old plug to the new sensor (this can lead to mis-wiring and other problems).

So, yes, your problem is the front O2 sensor. Granted, if you have even a small amount of mechanical ability, you can do this yourself. All I would recommend doing is spending the little bit on a special socket for removing O2 sensors. You will know it is an O2 sensor socket as there will be a whole cut in the side of the socket to allow you to push the electrical plug out the whole so you don't mess up the sensor. Then also spend a few bucks on a can of PB Blaster. The O2 sensor is probably going to be in there and rusted in place. But the Blaster will help get things loose. Replacing the sensor is nothing more than removing the air box out of the way, using the socket to remove the sensor. Then you install the new sensor and put the air box back in place.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 AM

So wait...is this in the engine, or under the car? Also, do I just need the o2 sensor, and not the catcon?

As far as mechanical ability, I have some, and don't mind doing things in the engine, but I have a bizarre fear of jackstands, so I don't go under cars.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Elrod, re-reading your post, you are talking about replacing the catalytic converter right? either way, if you are getting a new jaguar part, both of them are dirt cheap. An X-Type uses a very unique catalytic converter which is essentially part of the exhaust manifold (have to see a picture of it to truely understand the thing). New ones run right around $1000 USD.

With that being said, normally the code is causes by a bad O2 sensor, not the catalytic converter. The catalytic converters in these cars are beasts and I can't say that I have heard of one truely failing.

As for the location of the catalytic converters, on the X-Type they are mounted up high on the engine right where the exhaust leaves the block/head. If you look, there is a large "cylinder" hanging off of the side of the engine and you can see an O2 sensor sticking out of it in the middle. This is the catalytic converter (like I said, a bit different than than the normal car). This O2 sensor is the upstream sensor. Both of these can be reached from the top of the motor. Granted getting at the Bank 1 sensor from the top requires a lot of disassembly of the intake to get to it. The Bank 2 one is right under the air box. Accessing the downstream sensors is a definite "under the car" trip. You can see the sensors under the car and they are easier to get to.

If you have a fear of jackstands, something you may want to consider is finding some say 8x8 timbers and having them cut say 14" long. You can then jack up the side of the car using a high lift jack and put these right under the frame of the car. They will have a nice wide footprint to support the car from and may give you a little bit of peace of mind.

If you still have any questions, let me know.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

So what is the exact name of the part, as I feel I will have to order it from Carquest?

If it is actually the Catcon, would I still need to have a new sensor, or could I return it if not?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

Elrod, are you talking about ordering a new catalytic converter or ordering a new O2 sensor? I guess I am a little confused at the moment.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM

I was talking about ordering the sensor. I ordered the upstream sensor today.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 PM

I was having my oil changed today, and he said the catcon had a rotten egg smell. I assume that means it is already toast?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

Elrod, if you are getting a rotten egg smell, then yes, the catalytic converter is probably beyond recovery. Unfortunately, that is something that is going to be a big ticket item as the one for the X-Type is a very unique thing. Not something that you can get just "any ole' one" and toss it in.

The following users liked this post:
Elrod the Albino (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM

He said that he was going to put in one of the more high end universals. Should be okay as my car has 110k miles on it. I mean, how long does the catcon need to last?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Elrod, I just question that as the catalytic convert on this car is also the exhaust manifold. So, I am not quite sure how a "universal" cat is going to work. Maybe there are new parts out there that I am not aware of. You may have luck getting a cat off of a used car and going that route. You are one of the few that I have heard of the cats failing on a person. So, one from a wrecking yard should do you good too.