X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Changer Loose Wires!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CD Changer Loose Wires!

Hey guys quick question. My CDC stopped working a while back. The magazine ejects, so I know it has power, however when I press the "CD" button on the center console, nothing happens.

I was very curious about this so I looked in the trunk and found that some cables were not connected. I found three but there could possibly be more.

My main question is: Is this normal? Could this be the reason why my CDC isn't working?

Thanks so much in advance!

The first picture shows a black connector that is loose, and the second picture shows a black and a white connector that are loose.

Attached Thumbnails CD Changer Loose Wires!-img_20110724_153444.jpg   CD Changer Loose Wires!-img_20110724_153528.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Default Update

Update: I moved the navigation dvd player out of the way and found that the black and white plug fits directly into the CDC. I turned on the car, and it was working for the first time in years.

I turned off the ignition, and put the navigation dvd player back where it was. Then I went to listen to the music again, and I had the same symptoms. CDC isn't recognized, and now the magazine won't even eject!

Then I went back and unplugged the plug from the back of the CDC and then replugged it. Still doesn't work. Now I really don't know what's wrong because I don't see any other sockets to plug any plugs into!

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with this, even if your answer is very basic, it could save me hundreds of dollars.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The BOF (black optical fiber) needs to be in a LOOP from the radio head unit. There is a set order for the components and each sends and receives signals on the network. The Head unit sends a TEST signal when the ignition is turned on and each component gets it and sends it on to the next component etc. If the link is broken, you have a disabled network. I would have to go through my info that I got from the New Product 2002 Intro Training to remember the correct order. You can unplug each component and watch for the test 'blink' on the BOF. Find the component that fails to send the 'blink' and determine if it is at fault. You might get the codes read to find the problem (B codes).

Someone may have added or removed a component or changed the order. If a component on the network fails, that will affect the network. You need to configure the radio head unit if components are added or removed.

There will be extra electrical connectors unless you have ALL the optional components installed (CDC, NAV, TELEPHONE) etc.)
There should not be unplugged BOF cables as the network is a LOOP.
The BOF cables are not electric, they are FIBER OPTIC.

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 07-25-2011 at 09:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ez53436 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Bob thank you for helping me with this. I tremendously appreciate it! It seems like this is the last link in the network because the CDC is the only thing that isn't functioning correctly. I have a few questions though:

1. So what order does it go in?
2. What are the components, and by unplugging them you mean just pulling every cable out of the back?
3. By blink does that mean I will see a light blink?
4. I don't see any codes anywhere
5. Could it be that the cable is broken somehow?

Thanks you SO much for your help! I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

The Electrical Guide X-Type 2002 has a D2B network part 1 and part 2. You can have anywhere from a 2 module to 5 module network. The CDC is the first and then other modules are connected to the D2B. The 5 modules are Radio Head Unit, CDC, Cellular Phone, Voice, and NAV. If you list all of the modules that are in you car I can tell you the order they are SUPPOSED to be connected. (the GUIDE has them listed in the combination AND order they need to be in)

The BOF can be removed from each module (one at a time and in order) and you can see the cable 'blink' after the ignition is turned on and the 'wake-up' electrical signal is sent. You will see the Radio Head unit send the 'blink' to the CDC. Then unplug the next module BOF and the Radio will send a signal to the CDC and THAT will send a signal to the next module ....and so on.....

You will not be able to read the B codes with a regular OBDII powertrain scanner. You will need a Jaguar specific reader (see the 'stickeys' about the different readers)

The D2B network optic fiber cable can be severed or damaged and not function.

The Radio Head unit is the FIRST and LAST module in the network, it sends out the signal on one optical cable and needs to get it back on the other. It is a series network.

It's been a few years since I diagnosed and repaired the D2B network so I might be a little 'fuzzy' on some of the details but most if not all of the info should be correct.

You have unplugged and connected the modules and induced faults so I would clear ALL the DTCs in the ICE modules and start over with everything connected to see what DTCs come up.

If anyone else has different info or wants to correct my description, feel free!!!!

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
ez53436 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the useful info, Bob.

I have Navigation, CDC, and of course the Head Unit. Where is the module for the head unit though?

If this fiber optic cable is ruined, do you know where I could get a new one?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what this means: "I would clear ALL the DTCs in the ICE modules and start over with everything connected to see what DTCs come up."

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to this stuff, but I usually can figure these things out quickly with the assistance of someone like you.

Thank you for your help!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM

The head unit IS the module. It is the MASTER and holds the configuration info.

The first module is the CDC and then NAV, then back to the head unit.

You can leave the CDC electrical connector and unplug the BOF. Stare at the ends of the fiber optic cable and have someone turn the ignition key to 'ON'. You should see one of the cables 'blink'. That is the output from the head unit. With the CDC reconnected it will output a 'blink' on the other cable to the NAV. You should see the cable 'blink' from the disconnected cable to the NAV. With the NAV reconnected it will send the 'blink' back to the head unit and confirm the network integrity. You can see the 'blink' on the radio head unit 'return' connection but you will have to disassemble the optical cable plug on the back of the radio to leave the output to the CDC and NAV connected and the return disconnected so you can see if the NAV is returning the 'blink'. (complicated but do-able)

If the NAV works then the network is OK and you probably just have a faulty CDC.

If you have DTCs in the ICE (in car entertainment) modules, you should clear them and reconnect the system. Then turn the car 'on' and recheck for DTCs in the modules.

You just install a new or good used CDC unit and it will work without configuration if that is the way the car was configured originally. You will only need to reconfigure if you add or delete modules from the D2B network.

You should download the Electrical Guide for your car so you are not fumbling with reading someones description of the network and actually see the connections. I have attached it for you.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S2002_XTYPE.pdf (4.46 MB, 928 views)

Last edited by motorcarman; 07-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Thanks, Bob. The NAV is getting a blink, and so is the CDC. The red light is only supposed turn on on one side right? There are two kind of "holes" on the connector and I see that every time it blinks, it's only on one side.

What are DTCs? Man, I really hope it isn't the CD Player, that'll cost me $150 from SPP.

Last edited by ez53436; 07-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 PM

I looked again just now and both the cables from the NAV and CDC to a single cable, which is plugged into another. I disconnected one and looked for the blink. The blink does not come on for the first few seconds. Is that normal?

Also, for the first 5-10 seconds, I hear what sounds to me like a small motor trying to find a signal coming from somewhere in there... I'm not sure if it's the actual CDC or if it is the cable making the sound....

And just out of curiosity, how come the fiber optic cable was the first thing that popped into your mind? It's not a fuse, or anything else? The eject light blinks when I press eject so it probably wouldn't be the power.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by ez53436; 07-25-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 PM

DTCs are Diagnostic Trouble Codes. I have not worked on the D2B network in several YEARS. I don't remember all that I know!!!!!! If the Nav works then it sounds like the CDC is Toast. A good used one might solve your problem but I am not there to be sure what the actual problem is. There is a good reason Jaguar dealers send the mechanics to factory training centers. Multiplexed networks can be difficult to diagnose. The D2B network 'blink' test is a fast and easy way to eliminate the complete failure of the system.

bob gauff

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Okay, Bob. Thank you again for ALL your help, now I have a much better idea about this situation.